Gift for Letter Writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justAstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to medical school and I want to thank all of my letter writers. I'm thinking of writing a thank you card but I want to also give a small gift. What are some good gifts?

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the best gift idea.....nothing. A thank you card should work just fine. A gift is unnecessary.

That's awesome! I was wondering the same thing. I bought some nice paper and stamps to write them thank you cards but most of my letter writers were professors. As such, I'll probably buy them trinkets or mugs to put on their desk that reflects their research. Example: I worked in fruit fly lab one summer so I want to buy her a mug and stencil a Drosophila on the side.

I love arts and crafts. :)
Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome! I was wondering the same thing. I bought some nice paper and stamps to write them thank you cards but most of my letter writers were professors. As such, I'll probably buy them trinkets or mugs to put on their desk that reflects their research. Example: I worked in fruit fly lab one summer so I want to buy her a mug and stencil a Drosophila on the side.

I love arts and crafts. :)
Congratulations!

I love this idea! Thanks.

I love this idea! Thanks.

Thanks. Stlrams22 is right though, you don't need to get them a gift. But I went to a small liberal arts college and did research with them so we know each other pretty well. I just want to give them a small 'thank you'.

I don't think you need to give them a gift, instead I think it'd be more valuable to them if you wrote them thank you letters and kept them up to date over the years.

But, if you really feel inspired I'd rather take them out for a beer, but that's just me.

I moved to a different state from my letter writers during my gap year, but I still wrote them nice thank you note and gave them a Starbucks gift card.

I had multiple early interviews and a November MD acceptance with a sub-30 MCAT. Who knows what parts of my app contributed to this, but with the acceptance, I know my letter writers wrote something nice about me (or at least didn't throw me under the bus).

I did give different amounts on the gift cards to different writers though haha. Some had a quick turn around (weeks), and some stretched out for many months, almost to where my app was at a standstill waiting on their letters

Reactions: 1 user