Gift for Mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be a great gift to give someone who has really helped you along the way to get into med school and served as a shadowing mentor, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering this same thing. I was thiking maybe a nice pen or something, but is that silly?

What would be a great gift to give someone who has really helped you along the way to get into med school and served as a shadowing mentor, etc?

A nice bottle of single malt scotch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hand-written note/card is all that is required. Mentors (especially MD/DO/PhD etc) do not expect to recieve gifts from pre-meds or med students.

For my pre-med "mentor" I just sent him a thank-you card at the end of the whole process. I shot him another card at the end of M1 just to let him know I was alive and enjoying myself.

I bought my advisor an expensive bottle of champagne.

One of them I got a top shelf bottle of Bourbon (he is a Bourbon fan). The other one was a Red Sox and Bridgeport IPA fan so I got him a new Red Sox baseball cap (his old one was on its last leg) and a six pack of his beer. Just ask people that might know your mentor for ideas. This is what I did and it seemed to work.

My gifts were much appreciated!

A hand written card along with a T-shirt and white-coat patch from the school I was attending.

The card is personal, everyone can use a t-shirt and the patch gave them something to pin up above their desk to remind them that they did more for me than just write a letter.