Gift for my PhD student boss?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is appropriate here but I need advice.

I am currently working in a research lab as a lab tech. I got into medical school and will be starting in couple weeks. As a farewell gift, my PhD student boss gave me a littman classic iii stethoscope with my name engraved on it and a case. Just like me, he also has something to be happy about because he passed his defense recently and will be graduating really soon.

At first, I actually was planning to give him an Amazon gift card with couple hundred dollars on it but I’m not sure if it’s very thoughtful anymore? He has been very supportive during my two years in the lab and the gift he gave me was quite pleasant so I would like to reciprocate properly.

Any ideas? Idk what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Also another question, classic iii is good enough for medical school right?

It probably depends on what your boss likes. When I left my last job, I was kinda in a similar position where I worked with a PhD student who was just about to finish. I wrote her a very long heartfelt letter about everything she did for me, and I got her a very nice fountain pen engraved with "Dr. XXX" to celebrate her accomplishment, some specialty teas, and a toy for her cat.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It probably depends on what your boss likes. When I left my last job, I was kinda in a similar position where I worked with a PhD student who was just about to finish. I wrote her a very long heartfelt letter about everything she did for me, and I got her a very nice fountain pen engraved with "Dr. XXX" to celebrate her accomplishment, some specialty teas, and a toy for her cat.

I asked his wife what he likes and she told me he has no preference.

Hmmm fountain pen sounds like a good idea

I was also going to say a pen is always welcome.
I recently got into bolt action pen, pretty fun. Reddit /pen will have more than enough suggestions.

Tactile turn has good weight and selection, and easy to find refills. Price point can be a little high (for a med student), but something that he can use daily and not just sit there gathering dust.

Classic III is def ok. That's what I have.