Gift for new RN friend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicsnerd42

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my friends is a new RN who just started her first nursing job working on a surgical floor at my hospital. I'd like to get her a gift to celebrate her new job. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends is a new RN who just started her first nursing job working on a surgical floor at my hospital. I'd like to get her a gift to celebrate her new job. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

gift card to starbucks? idk how much you willing to spend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does she have a smartphone or and iphone?? There are some really good apps out there that she could use depending on her specialty that can get pricy on a new RN's salary.

Personally, the first 2 years of nursing are very stressful on a new RN, and expect a lot of tears and frustration from her. The saying that nurses eat their young is alive and well.

I say avoid going the medical route, and splurge on a good dayspa package for the times she needs to decompress. A day here and there to be taken as she needs it. Say after her first code, her first death, the first time on the floor when she has too many sick patients and the floor is short staffed and she feels she can't give good enough care to 7-8 patients because they all need her RIGHT now, and half are semi-critical but not sick enough for the ICU. Med-surg is notorious for short-staffing and heavy loads no matter where the hospital is, unless she lives in California with state mandated ratios. Even Cali doesn't factor in acuity with the ratios. Not an elaborate package, just a massage and facial...JMHO.

Thanks for the recommendations! For budget, I'm thinking up to about $50.

gift certificate to a massage place like massage envy?
a nursing charm from james avery?
also...gals seem to like those overpriced grey's anatomy scrubs :)

She should really get these herself; sizing and comfort are kind of tricky.

Gift card to a uniform shop; lets her buy what she wants/needs. For God's sake, no cutesy "Precious Moments" nurse dolls.

Does she have a smartphone or and iphone?? There are some really good apps out there that she could use depending on her specialty that can get pricy on a new RN's salary.

Personally, the first 2 years of nursing are very stressful on a new RN, and expect a lot of tears and frustration from her. The saying that nurses eat their young is alive and well.

I say avoid going the medical route, and splurge on a good dayspa package for the times she needs to decompress. A day here and there to be taken as she needs it. Say after her first code, her first death, the first time on the floor when she has too many sick patients and the floor is short staffed and she feels she can't give good enough care to 7-8 patients because they all need her RIGHT now, and half are semi-critical but not sick enough for the ICU. Med-surg is notorious for short-staffing and heavy loads no matter where the hospital is, unless she lives in California with state mandated ratios. Even Cali doesn't factor in acuity with the ratios. Not an elaborate package, just a massage and facial...JMHO.

FYI, nurses eat their old, too.