Gifts for Letter Writers/Advisors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc235693

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I was wondering when the appropriate time to get gift for your letter writers was. I was thinking I was going to wait until I got an acceptance/knew where I was going so I could write something about how thankful I was for their help getting into X school. But now I am thinking that might be a little too late. Anyway when did you get your letter writers gifts and am I horribly late (since they wrote mine in the spring for this cycle)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've also just sent them letters. I'm pretty close with all my recommenders, so we've just been emailing back and forth during the admissions process, and I'm planning on sending them all Christmas cards. I'm not sending any actual gifts though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent thank you notes after they had submitted their letters to my school's pre-med committee. In the note, I told them that I'd update them periodically about my application cycle. I only ended up sending 2 emails (1 after interviews and 1 after acceptances) to let them know what schools I liked/got into. My adviser especially appreciated the updates and was very enthusiastic, so it was fun to share good news with her. I think just showing your appreciation for their contribution and excitement for the process is enough, but I guess you could always do a small gift if you really want to.

hmm, I am at a small liberal arts school and I see my two advisors almost daily and were pretty close. I don't have to email them to update them I usually see them the same day I get an interview invite and tell them all about it. I am thinking maybe holiday cards would be nice, and possibly a small gift in the spring before graduation when I know where I am going. I've taken classes, worked in labs, gone to conferences, and been very close with them for last 4 years so I think that would be appropriate.

I, too, have observed that a letter of appreciation is more common than a gift. If you give a gift, howvwer, it should be modest, so as not to make the receiver feel uncomfortable. Homemade goodies or a $5 Star Bucks gift card would be examples of something appropriate. As to when to give it, anytime after they submit the LOR is fine. Should it be dependent on your acceptance when they went to same trouble on your behalf regardless? And instead of saying the gift is out of appreciation for the letter, rather phrase it more diplomatically that you wanted them to help you celebrate the completion of the application process or your acceptance to school XXXXXX. There should be no implication of a return for their services, which would make it inappropriate for them to accept.

I did the whole thank you not thing right after they wrote my letters, but I'm planning on getting them mugs from whatever med school I choose to attend, as an extra thank you. Obviously I would do that in the spring, though, not now.

I did the whole thank you not thing right after they wrote my letters, but I'm planning on getting them mugs from whatever med school I choose to attend, as an extra thank you. Obviously I would do that in the spring, though, not now.

+1, I'll probably go the mug route. I think it kind of depends on the culture of your school/workplace, but I went to a school with a very "gifty" culture so I would feel weird/bad not giving anything :shrug:

I gave my adviser a bottle of good whiskey after I got my first acceptance. He seemed pretty happy with it. The mugs also sound like a cool idea. Giving someone a $5 gift card to starbucks is pretty tacky in my opinion.

I gave them each a cake after the letter was submitted, but I tend to go overboard.

A gift card might not be received too well, however. When I attempted to give a nominal gift card to one of my letter writers after the fact, he declined to accept it and said that a physical gift would be welcome, but accepting anything that even RESEMBLES money would be problematic.

A thank you/holiday card with chocolate-covered fruit.

I love this idea! Way more than the bath products and lotions suggestion my friend gave me...

Yeah I sent emails and thank you notes after they gave me the letters and was gonna give something else and an update once I know where I'm going. I like the mug idea. Gonna have to steal it.

I think most of the people here do it after they get accepted... I did send a thank you email after they sent the letter. Gifts are popular here. I'm planning to go with a box of chocolate buckeyes since I'm from Ohio (don't go to school in OH so it should be somewhat unique).

I've always been told that any facsimile of soap is a terrible gift.

Why, is "you smell terrible and should use this soap and lotion ASAP" not an appropriate thank you?