uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
May 28, 2009
Hills of Westwood
Status
Pre-Medical
my professor just emailed me saying he has turned in my rec letter...should i give him a thank you gift next week?
what is the protocol for htese things?

hobbes23

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A nice thank you email (or a real card), followed by periodic updates about your progress through the season.

If you give a gift, make it a token one. Anything else would be strange.

Practitioner

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
Jul 8, 2009
Delocalized
Status
Pre-Medical
I got gift card for two at a Brazilian steakhouse, but that is now. When I was in college I did like hobbes suggested. A "thank you very kindly" e-mail and a card.

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
A nice thank you email (or a real card), followed by periodic updates about your progress through the season.

If you give a gift, make it a token one. Anything else would be strange.
Gifts are tacky.

I agree with the underlined - that is what I did (emails), and will continue to do until I decide on one school.

thamsenman

Removed
Dec 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
gifts are tacky.

I agree with the underlined - that is what i did (emails), and will continue to do until i decide on one school.
+1

Mar 5, 2010
Status
I gave a thankyou card and flowers to my professors for writing my LORs, but they were both women and I'm a girl and know them well. I don't think they were weirded out but enthusiastically thanked me. I just wanted to show my appreciation bc I knew they had a busy schedule and thought an email was too imperson.

girlofgrace7

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2007
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I go to a small university and am close to all of my professors; so, I gave one thank you card when they completed my LOR along with a few brownies I baked for each of them (plus brownies and a thank you card for another professor who edited my personal statement). I also decided to give each a nice thank you card when I received my med school acceptance. It's nice to give a little something with the thank you card just to show how much you appreciate their time and help.

bamtuba

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Give them a warm and fuzzy feeling by keeping them up to date when you get accepted to #1 Med U.

:D

That way you ALL win!

Seriously though, let them know if they helped you get where you want to be and send a thank you note, e-mail is fine.