1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

gifts for premed advisors

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mikhail1945, Mar 12, 2007.

1. mikhail1945

mikhail1945 Junior Member

thinking i should get gifts for my advisors bc they helped out a lot this past year...did anyone do the same? any suggestiosn for gifts?

2. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'll give em a gift if i get into a school:eek: :D

3. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Gift basket. It's nice, it's neutral, and not too overly done. If you have a personal relationship with your pre-med advisor though, then you(and not SDN members) can best decided on what an appropriate gift ought to be.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Richspiders07

Richspiders07 User - peruser
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dont anticipate giving a gift... I mean, his only job is to get students into medical school. We do the hardest part, he should give me a gift for helping with his numbers/statistics that he likes to throw around.

sidenote: i dont really like my pre-health advisor

5. eikenhein

eikenhein Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How about gifts for your letter writers?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Brown429

Brown429 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Bottle of Wine...the good stuff

7. WhyIsThisSoHard

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got chocolates for most of my letter writers, and a good bottle of wine for my composite letter writer.

I haven't gotten anything yet, though, for my premed advisor and I have really abused emailing her for 3 years - I feel like I should get her a yacht or something! Not that I could afford a yacht. I like the idea of gift baskets - or maybe a cookie bouquet?

8. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    one of those boats in a bottle...

9. GooglieGoo

2+ Year Member

Tequila. My advisor was a tequila fan, so I got her a bottle of some nice tequila. A prof who I didn't know so well got a gift basket. Depends on the person.

10. PepperMD

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'll be presenting my pre-med advisor with my bare @$$ so she can kiss it for all those years of condescending advice and doubt in my ability to be competitive given my shaky academic past. (btw, I was accepted)

11. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Gifts are not necessary per say, since they are doing their job. However, if you really want to reciprocate their hard work I suggest a fruit basket. Nice, fresh fruit is always appreciated. I'd stay away from alcohol because you never know if they drink or if they frown on it. Fruit is much safer and they can choose to share it with the office or their families.

12. TheRealDrDorian

TheRealDrDorian Dr. Acula
    Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The only gift you should get a premed advisor is an acceptance somewhere.

13. youngnflyy

youngnflyy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm planning on giving the person who has been the most beneficial to me, my acceptance letter if I ever get one. Doesn't seem like much, but I figure since he teaches at my old highschool, and has kind of been a motivational figure for me, it is the least I could do. Besides I think it would be cool for him to be able to show it to kids there to let them know that it is possible.

14. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    how about a note that says: "thank you for helping me achieve my dream - the same dream you failed miserably to achieve yourself"

sincerely,

xyz

:laugh:

15. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Hey, be nice. Not every pre-med advisor wanted to be a doctor. All the ones I have known have education/administrative degrees.

16. mrs_lady

2+ Year Member

Guys and gals,

I gave my letter writers & advisor all a box of really nice loose tea and in retrospect should have given them a tea strainer too. You can get some high-quality stuff relatively inexpensively & there are kinds for everybody (jasmine pearls for the chill & sweet ones, mango ceylon for the wacky ones).

17. DoctorPLASTIC

DoctorPLASTIC Membership Revoked
    Removed

Unless they got you into harvard.....just give them....a punch in the face!:laugh:

18. RAD11

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree :thumbup: Also a simple thank you card should do it.

19. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I don't know where you all went/are going to school, but I like my pre-med advisor. With the pain I had to go through to get assigned one (my schools rejects applicants who they think aren't qualified), I make good use of her. Already we have sat down and mapped just about every detail of this upcoming cycle, including a few other aspects that the common applicant doesn't encounter.

Maybe it's because I haven't applied yet, but for the time and effort she has already dedicated to helping me out, I can't see how our relationship can deteriorate that I can imagine actually considering siding with some of your responses.

I'm a pretty cynical guy, but my advisor keeps me grounded and ever so often, offers words of encouragement. She's the best that $120,000 can buy.