Wifty

Eccentrically Silly
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I am wanting to find a gift for hubby for when he gets accepted into med school but am having trouble finding places that have anything giftlike. A 'student DO' pin or somesuch would be great....but almost anything would do.

Does anyone have any sites or recommendations for places to look? Or recommendations for gifts for that matter? :)

Searching impatiantly,
Wifty

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Some people get stethescopes, book bags, or laptops for more expensive gifts....but most of us aren't independently wealthy...so the "pin" sounds like a good idea..although I am not sure where you will find one..good luck!

How about a high quality pen? Something like a Parker is ideal - you can get some really good ones for a reasonable price. If it is a metal one you could even get his name or something special engraved on it (useful for identification) - when he gets into med school he will be doing a heck of a lot of writing, so it is both thoughtful and useful (and most Parker pens come with a lifetime guarantee too).

Members don't see this ad :)
why wait, just get him a Porsche now

LOLOL Maybe I could find a toy porshe that we could afford. :)

Thanks for all the ideas though! He got his acceptance today actually and I am bouncing around like an insane wife!! Some of the hurdles are now officially over....and I am excited for the next ones! ;-) And just so very proud of him!

Still, I want to commemorate it in some way so I am thinking over the ideas so far. :)

With many smiles,
Wifty aka Rebecca

Rebecca,

I know that Personal Creations has some doctor stuff? They probably have a website. Try <a href="http://www.personalcreations.com" target="_blank">http://www.personalcreations.com</a>

Best of Luck!

Christy

Thanks Christy!
They didn't really have much, unless I wanted to get him an ornament or a throw blanket, but it had some other possibilities. :)

I appreciate all the input!

Wifty

Just thought I would add this in for others looking for gifts. It was sent to me by a lurking spouse. :)

<a href="http://www.kcom.edu/load.asp?url=/newmuseum" target="_blank">http://www.kcom.edu/load.asp?url=/newmuseum</a>

They have some hard to find things and some osteopathic items. Also, they talk about the cadceus and the difference tween one snake or two. LOL

There you go.....
Wifty

I vote for the toy porcshe - the irony in the years to come will be great! If you do have a bit more money you can spring for something very practical that he'll use - an ipaq or one of the palms that are on the market. My husband uses his ipaq every day and loves the thing (ipaqs also let you play inane games on them - another plus for some people :D ).

Jennifer

Wifty,

Since you guys have elcted to attend KCOM, why don't you contact the bookstore and get him something cool from the mother-ship? Call 660.665.1251, ask for either Kathy or Peggy and tell them OldManDave sent ya! &lt;It won't save you any money, but it will boost my ego!&gt;

They have tons of things that range in price from reasonable to almost silly.

Thanks Old Man! :) I think I just might do that! I really wish that they were online though...oh well.

When we were there, he was tempted to get himself something but thought he might jinx himself. LOL

Hmmm....now what to get? :)

Wifty

The toy car gets my vote!! Here's why: I am an avid off-roader. I have a 4x4 truck that I have added all kinds of thing too, a dirt bike I go to the dunes on, and some other toys. Last year at about
this time I was actively in the market too buy a HUMMER. This is the holy grail of the offroad vehicles and I wanted on in the worst way. November 2000 I had found one in Sacramento and went
up there to drive it and maybe buy it. The price was right and the truck was in outstanding condition. Even the color I wanted! This was my dream come true. after the test drive and filling out the
initial paperwork I went home and gushed how much I loved the truck and what a find it was. But the more I thought about our situation the more I came to the conclusion that it was not in OUR
best interest to buy the truck and burden us with a $900 a month car note for the next 8 years when the economy was as unstable as it is here in the tech market, as well as the idea that I would like
to go back to school. With EXTREME sadness (and a few tears) I called the dealer and told them that I would not be able to take the truck. The hardest part was that in my soul I knew that this
would probably be the closest I would get to owning my dream offroad truck for at least the next 15 years. I was bummed to say the least.
Kristin has a natural knack at buying the perfect gift. It really is uncanny. For Christmas that year, in her own style, I received a 1/49th scale replica model of the truck I had almost bought in
Sacramento. It was one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received. It has an honorary spot in our home now. Every time I look at it I think about Kristin and her ability to understand the kid in
me. I love her to death. To anyone who visits us I'm sure they only see a neat little toy truck, but it means more to me than if I had bought the real thing.
I'm certain that I am not giving this story the true gravity that it had with me but for all of the men out there, I'm sure you can appreciate the gesture that she made. At heart, all men are big kids
who love toys. We are at best simple creatures. She knows me so well.....

My mother is pretty eccentric and crazy. So when my dad began to start going through the midlife crisis thing, she sent him a gift basket complete with a new convertible (one of the metal ones you put on your desk, a porsche convertible) and a blonde co-ed (cheerleader Barbi). I thought it was hilarious. He did actually end up buying convertible though.

Hi there Rebecca!!!

Did ya get my last email? I wondered b/c my cable modem went bankrupt leaving me without my personal email account for a few days, but it's back up and running now!

Actually, I wanted to post this link for a doctor bear that I thought was cute for children or the bear lover (haha!)

<a href="http://www.holybears.com/bears/doctorholybear.html" target="_blank">http://www.holybears.com/bears/doctorholybear.html</a>

It's cute! My oldest son looks at all kinds of doctor stuff & my youngest loves bears to snuggle with, so I'm getting one for Christmas...

Well, I just thought I'd share! Sorry, it's a little off topic, but I thought someone might like the bear, so I posted it here!

Christy ;)