Girl brain dead after tonsil surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting that the anesthesiologist had to pay when it seems that the nurses discharged the patient without anesthesia input.

i imagine there were boiler plate anesthesia discharge orders in place. its possible they never got any input in the postop period but the orders are still there. that case also sounds like the disasters that we all fear, with dropped balls at every step of the way. i wonder if she had a congenital vascular malformation, single vert, basilar stenosis, something weird.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a similar case in another state where the parents went to court and got a court order. In that case the intensivist handled this but calling the judge and asking " the MAP is now less than 40 what would you like to do" "No you took over medical care of the patient when you signed the court order" "No I need specific medical orders on how to treat the patient". This was followed a few minutes later by a fax cancelling the court order.

Priceless!

This story is such a ridiculous circus. The judges responsible for not upholding the definition of brain death should be disbarred and the parents should be stuck with the bill. They are sinking their own malpractice case by making the autopsy nigh useless. Its like the whole state is being run by children who can't make adult decisions even when there is clear cut protocol on what to do, no thinking required.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are sinking their own malpractice case by making the autopsy nigh useless.
Oh, the case will still be settled for a huge sum of money. It'll never see a court room, much less a jury.

The facts of the case and the asshattery of the parents are irrelevant ... dead kid after tonsillectomy = check(s) to be written.

Oh, the case will still be settled for a huge sum of money. It'll never see a court room, much less a jury.

The facts of the case and the asshattery of the parents are irrelevant ... dead kid after tonsillectomy = check(s) to be written.

Unless the parents are pretending to be as crazy as they appear on the news then i doubt they will settle. Even when their scumbag loony lawyer tries to coax them in to accepting whatever the hospital decides to offer (minus his 50% cut of course) they seem to have been stirred up in to such a frenzy that I just cannot see them finding a quiet confidential deal appropriate.

So why is ibuprofen ok but toradol is not?
I give toradol to my patients without problems all the time.

Because when looked at post operative bleeding complications with toradol in thousands of patients, the ones were it actually made a difference and clearly was associated with increased post operative bleeding - was in tonsil cases.

I think you're nuts giving it because the data is pretty clear on toradol on post bleeding in tonsils.