Girls - interview shoes, shirt, and purse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker937

UCLA SOD 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, girls! I got my suit - it's beautiful and black. A few questions as I assemble the rest of my outfit:

1. Shirt - Short or long sleeves; or does it not matter? Button up?
2. Purse - What color? Style?
3. Shoes - I want to wear black flats. Is that too much black?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an idea of what I want...
1. Shirt - I was thinking blouse...but I'm planning on a suit so I just wonder about the color than the shirt itself. Probably short sleeve though because suits get hot and I wouldn't want to walk around and then get all sweaty.
2. Haven't thought that far.
3. I don't think you can get any other color shoe when your suit is already black. Blue, brown, and grey would be odd with a black suit. So I think that's ok!

Members don't see this ad :)
So by blouse, you mean like some kind of nice, professional top? What's more professional - a blouse or a long-sleeved button up shirt? And okay, I guess black shoes it is. But then what about the bag color? If my suit and shoes are black, I think a black purse is overkill.

I'm thinking along the lines of...but I'm in Texas so I keep in mind it's hot. The button down was cute too!:
https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.c...=cat4769287&fromSearch=true&scPos=1-1800-3205
https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.c...=cat6219285&fromSearch=true&scPos=2-4500-5287
(This store is nice if you can find an outlet and get their clearance but don't think I recommend spending this much on one shirt)

Maybe you can match your shoes or purse to your shirt?
Also I'm not sure how conservative we should dress. I worked in environments where I dressed professional and loved wearing bright color tops under the black suits, but I haven't really shopped for an outfit myself yet.

You know, it's nice being a guy. I served a 2 year LDS mission and wore a suit for 14+ months, so I'm super comfortable in them. I got married 2 years ago in a darkish charcoal suit that will work perfectly. The only thing I actually will have a choice in is my tie!

Reactions: 1 users
Also a guy here with experience interviewing lots of college students. Imo the dark blazer, pants and long sleeve shirt work well. Shoes didn't really matter as long as they were clean! Whatever makes you most comfortable and confident

Reactions: 2 users
Not to steal your thread OP, but I also have a question about interview attire for girls. Are blazers buttoned up or they are left open?

I was thinking a well fitted navy blue two piece pant suit with an appropriate heel.. Shoulder clutch.. Simple/not loud blouse... Is this too VANILLA o_O

1. I have a two piece navy blue skirt suit with conservative (higher neck) coral and lavender tops to choose from... don't be afraid of a little color ladies!
2. I ended up going with a padfolio as my "purse." It is a simple brown leather folio that has pockets for business cards, holds my thank you notes and has a pad of paper to jot things down on. I have a bit of a purse addiction... none of mine are tame enough!
3. Got the MOST comfortable 2 inch heel nude pumps by Life Stride... highly recommend them. I recently wore them for a few hours during my HPSP Air Force interview and felt like I was wearing flats.

I think that shirt is very classy! How see through will it be though with a lighter color?

Reactions: 1 user
Not to steal your thread OP, but I also have a question about interview attire for girls. Are blazers buttoned up or they are left open?

I've always gone with the rule of thumb to walk in with it buttoned up, it gives a clean impression. If you wish to unbutton it, do it as you sit... they most likely will not even notice.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, girls! I got my suit - it's beautiful and black. A few questions as I assemble the rest of my outfit:

1. Shirt - Short or long sleeves; or does it not matter? Button up?
2. Purse - What color? Style?
3. Shoes - I want to wear black flats. Is that too much black?

Thanks!

1. I'm a Floridian so I chose short sleeves but I never remove my jacket. It wasn't a button up but it was neck high with some dainty embellishments. If I interview at the northern schools I'm going to wear a button up, likely long sleeve, as it's a bit more professional.

2. I brought a binder to my first interview and then a purse to my second, big enough to hold the binder. It was the same cream color as my shirt, an underarm bag, not so big that I was hitting everyone and everything around me though.

3. Black matches black so I think that's great and what most gals wear. Classic, professional. Maybe have a lighter colored shirt for contrast to avoid the funeral look. :p

I've always gone with the rule of thumb to walk in with it buttoned up, it gives a clean impression. If you wish to unbutton it, do it as you sit... they most likely will not even notice.

Thank you, I'll do this in the future.

I ended up going with a padfolio as my "purse." It is a simple brown leather folio that has pockets for business cards, holds my thank you notes and has a pad of paper to jot things down on. I have a bit of a purse addiction... none of mine are tame enough!
What if I want to bring my wallet with me to the interview? I should go with a briefcase right?

What did you guys bring along with you to interviews in terms of paperwork (resumes, etc.)?

Here's a really nice guide for female dress code by a fellow SDNer! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...cycle-and-the-universe.1197114/#post-17712339

tl;dr though
Your shoes & purse should match.
I'd go for a neutral-colored and styled purse (black/white/nude; no jarring accessories like spikes or something lmao).
As for shoes, something stylish but (MOST IMPORTANTLY) comfortable, as you will most likely be going on school tours and you prob don't wanna be walking around in stilettos lmao.. Flats are definitely okay!
Also that pink button up you posted is super cute haha