Girls -- what do you think of this shirt for interview..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambidextrous27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I bought this shell to go underneath my suit for interviews. No worries, the print in the picture looks much more wild than it does in real life. My question is about the small slit at the top, nothing shows but is it too much? Give me your thoughts!

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/produc...0010&productPageType=search&defaultColor=6061

Members don't see this ad.

Love it.

But I probably wouldn't take my clothing advice. I'd totally wear a dress to an interview (lol!).

Love it.

But I probably wouldn't take my clothing advice. I'd totally wear a dress to an interview (lol!).

I honestly don't know why people have such a fit about wearing dresses to interviews. As long as you look professional, why not look cute and stand out a little bit?

Thanks for the input :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Couple it with a suit jacket and it'd be just fine :) I've seen several girls wear something similar to interviews.

In my opinion, showing a bit of personality with your clothes makes you feel more confident than a stiff-collared white shirt under a suit jacket. You'll carry yourself better

Cute design, but my first impression was "are those blood splatters???" haha, perhaps I'm just weird like that.

I honestly don't know why people have such a fit about wearing dresses to interviews. As long as you look professional, why not look cute and stand out a little bit?

Thanks for posting this, because I'm totally ordering it to pair with my navy skirt suit. ;)

It's great! I wore a very similar top, except it was a light pink. It would look perfect with a dark suit. :thumbup:

well i suppose it's better to be safe than sorry. everyone looks really similar

I ma constantly floored at how expensive woman's clothing is

OP--please tell me you ordered this before I snapped up the last one. If I ordered your blouse, I feel awful about it. If you didn't get a chance to buy one, please shoot me a PM and we'll work something out. I'll gladly mail it on to you, or maybe we could share it or something. This was *your* find, and I don't want to have "stolen" it from you.

OP--please tell me you ordered this before I snapped up the last one. If I ordered your blouse, I feel awful about it. If you didn't get a chance to buy one, please shoot me a PM and we'll work something out. I'll gladly mail it on to you, or maybe we could share it or something. This was *your* find, and I don't want to have "stolen" it from you.

OP said she already bought it. :D

Members don't see this ad :)

The goal is to look professional, not "cute." If you can still look professional in a dress, by all means wear one to your interview. But you're trying to get into medical school here.

The goal is to look professional, not "cute." If you can still look professional in a dress, by all means wear one to your interview. But you're trying to get into medical school here.

Exactly. For better or worse, there are norms when it comes to professional dress. You can choose to divert from those norms, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work in your favor.

OP, I never once saw an applicant wearing a dress, and I popped in on a lot of interview day lunches, tours, etc.. Do what you want - ultimately this is a pretty minor, unimportant thing - but make sure that you look professional, not "cute," not like you're going to an outdoor tea party, and certainly not like you're heading to the club.

It seems to me like there are different interpretations here of the word "cute".

I think it was originally mentioned, it was intended to mean something akin to "fashionable" or "unique" or "modern". Not cute like a little girl with pigtails in a sundress.

As for wearing a dress, I'm sure there is a way to do it professionally, but I feel it's rather risky and tricky to do. The OP said nothing about wearing a dress - in fact, she said she's pairing it with a navy skirt suit, very professional.

And the title of the thread obviously is asking for ladies' opinions - nick naylor, why are you chiming in, lol? Do you have extensive experience with women's professional wear?

not "cute," not like you're going to an outdoor tea party, and certainly not like you're heading to the club.

:rolleyes: Yes, because that's exactly what we mean when we say cute.

It seems to me like there are different interpretations here of the word "cute".

I think it was originally mentioned, it was intended to mean something akin to "fashionable" or "unique" or "modern". Not cute like a little girl with pigtails in a sundress.

And the title of the thread obviously is asking for ladies' opinions - nick naylor, why are you chiming in, lol? Do you have extensive experience with women's professional wear?

^^^^ THIS.

As for wearing a dress, I'm sure there is a way to do it professionally, but I feel it's rather risky and tricky to do. The OP said nothing about wearing a dress - in fact, she said she's pairing it with a navy skirt suit, very professional.

He was giving his opinion on women looking professional, not on the blouse because the conversation drifted to women wearing dresses to medical school interviews. Seeing as NickNaylor has interviewed prospectives for his medical school and has been on the other side of the desk (correct me nick if I'm wrong), I see his opinion as extremely helpful. He may not have extensive experience in women's clothing but he does have experience in admissions.

Very nice when put with a nice skirt and make jacket! CUTE and PROFESSIONAL ;)

he was giving his opinion on women looking professional, not on the blouse because the conversation drifted to women wearing dresses to medical school interviews. Seeing as nicknaylor has interviewed prospectives for his medical school and has been on the other side of the desk (correct me nick if i'm wrong), i see his opinion as extremely helpful. He may not have extensive experience in women's clothing but he does have experience in admissions.

+1

I guess I must have misinterpreted the post as more specific. My bad.

Exactly. For better or worse, there are norms when it comes to professional dress. You can choose to divert from those norms, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work in your favor.

OP, I never once saw an applicant wearing a dress, and I popped in on a lot of interview day lunches, tours, etc.. Do what you want - ultimately this is a pretty minor, unimportant thing - but make sure that you look professional, not "cute," not like you're going to an outdoor tea party, and certainly not like you're heading to the club.

This is so silly. You may not have even noticed if someone was wearing a dress because I'm sure she would also be wearing a suit jacket over it; surprisingly most women can tell the difference between a dress fit for a tea party (which we women attend all the time, of course) and an interview. And I also specifically said that IF you can find a dress that looks professional, then there is no harm in also being cute and unique. I agree with whoever mentioned that we seem to disagree about the meaning of the word cute.

Anyway, I'm not personally wearing a dress, I'm wearing a skirt suit. Funny thing -- for all this hoo-ha about not wearing a dress, I've heard that people prefer to see women in a skirt suit instead of pants. Hows that for double standards.

All that aside, thanks for the great input guys!! I bought the outfit a while ago and am glad to have the general approval of my fellow SDNers :)

I'm just going to throw this out: Obviously you have no reason to believe me and only reflects the opinion of one interviewer at one school.

I will say that a female interviewer at a top 20 school came to a pre-med prep class I was taking, and said this specifically about girls wearing dresses to interviews: "This isn't Sunday school. This is the most important job interview of your life. Come wearing a suit with pants or a skirt."

FWIW, I saw a girl in a dress at one of my first interviews, and she was also present at Second Look. *shrug* The dress was cute but it certainly wasn't typical interview wear!

I hope you realize you aren't going to be encountering only women interviewers. So yeah, males who have interviewed people are pretty much just as qualified. Of course I'm pretty sure most of us wouldn't notice what the heck you were wearing anyway unless it was totally ridiculous...

For the record, "unique" is not a good thing in medical school interviews. Nobody is going to write down on their evals, "Looked super cute in that awesome top!!" I'm not commenting on this specific one but there have been a few "what should I wear" threads popping up lately.

If I was a male interviewer and you were a hot applicant, I wouldn't mind if you wore a bathing suit. In fact, it would probably help.

Cute. Good for interview if paired with jacket. Without a jacket would be more acceptable for second look, white coat, research days, etc.

It's not about what you want to wear, it's about what the ADCOMs want you to wear. This is game; play it and win.
:thumbup:

Absolutely!!!! If you are posting on here to get approval for interview clothing, it means you probably should not be wearing it to an interview.

The way I have decided on interview wear is to imagine the top without a jacket. You never know what may happen or what the weather may be like. You may become hot and have to take off the jacket or you may get a stain on the jacket and not have a stain pen handy. Without a jacket, this top may be pretty, but it looks like a cute office-wear outfit, not interview attire.
I am a very practical person, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt. I honestly wouldn't chance it because this will be an extremely important point in your life.

I've been on > 40 interviews for residency and med school and only once saw a girl remove their jacket.

No, however having been on many interviews/dropped in on many interview days and being on the other side of the table as an evaluator, I thought my opinion might be helpful. I'm not a woman, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of offering opinions on what is professionally acceptable and what isn't - especially in a medical school interview environment.

Feel free to do whatever, but I will once again say that I don't remember seeing a single woman in a dress on an interview day in any context. Pant or skirt suits are the norm.

I'm a female, and a collegiate-level debater/public speaker (so I have a good deal of experience with women's professional wear). Ultimately (and this applies to everyone) it's your choice about what to wear. Yes, it is possible to look perfectly professional and still have a little bit of personality, but certain norms exist for a reason. And regardless of what you wear, I'll repeat what I said earlier: You are trying to get into medical school. Above looking "cute" and "riddled with personality," your first priority is to make sure you look serious enough about this interview to get into that medical school. And frankly, I'd rather sacrifice a tiny bit of personality for a few hours if that meant I'd spend the next four year of my life at a school I really liked. No one's asking you to sell your soul. It's a matter of a few hours, and ultimately up to you how seriously you want to take it.

I'm a female, and a collegiate-level debater/public speaker (so I have a good deal of experience with women's professional wear). Ultimately (and this applies to everyone) it's your choice about what to wear. Yes, it is possible to look perfectly professional and still have a little bit of personality, but certain norms exist for a reason. And regardless of what you wear, I'll repeat what I said earlier: You are trying to get into medical school. Above looking "cute" and "riddled with personality," your first priority is to make sure you look serious enough about this interview to get into that medical school. And frankly, I'd rather sacrifice a tiny bit of personality for a few hours if that meant I'd spend the next four year of my life at a school I really liked. No one's asking you to sell your soul. It's a matter of a few hours, and ultimately up to you how seriously you want to take it.

I couldn't agree more.

Dresses aren't professional...that's why. Do not wear a dress unless you really want to appear like a noob who doesn't belong in the room with the rest of the men and women who are wearing the appropriate attire.

This is so silly. You may not have even noticed if someone was wearing a dress because I'm sure she would also be wearing a suit jacket over it; surprisingly most women can tell the difference between a dress fit for a tea party (which we women attend all the time, of course) and an interview. And I also specifically said that IF you can find a dress that looks professional, then there is no harm in also being cute and unique. I agree with whoever mentioned that we seem to disagree about the meaning of the word cute.

Anyway, I'm not personally wearing a dress, I'm wearing a skirt suit. Funny thing -- for all this hoo-ha about not wearing a dress, I've heard that people prefer to see women in a skirt suit instead of pants. Hows that for double standards.

All that aside, thanks for the great input guys!! I bought the outfit a while ago and am glad to have the general approval of my fellow SDNers :)

I love this post in respect to the one that is 2 posts above it.
Good Luck in dental school :)

I've been on > 40 interviews for residency and med school and only once saw a girl remove their jacket.

My point was that this top could look unprofessional if the jacket had to be taken off. If there is an accident and the jacket were stained, it would have to be taken off because it would be better to not have a jacket on than to wear a jacket with a stain.
The rest of my post went on to mention how I am more of a practical person and to take my comment with a grain of salt. I'm not sure what your comment meant, but I wasn't suggesting that there would be a point where she would be required to remove her jacket.
I hate deciding what to wear for interviews. I tend to fidget so it's best if I wear the standard interview attire. lol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1338724417.136220.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Proof that no one reads the OP. I AM
NOT WEARING A DRESS,

Why did you link to a blouse in your OP and then went on talking about how you're going to wear a dress? :confused: What was the whole point of this thread then?

If that picture is what you're planning on wearing, you'll be fine. However that looks like a skirt suit, not a dress.

Proof that no one reads the OP. I AM
NOT WEARING A DRESS, I just think that a professional dress with a suit jacket is no problem. Would you all like to see the outfit with way too much personality that you are freaking out at me over? I think on SDN people need to get over the idea that they are the only ones with sound judgement.

You sure showed us. On the plus side I'll now be able to recognize you if you interview here and we can talk about super cute tops all day.

Not a girl, but I interact with interviewees fairly often. I can say that I have seen girls in dresses, and they seemed very underdressed, just like the time I saw a guy wearing a nice sweater and cords instead of the suit everyone else was wearing.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what professional/business wear is among women. A lot of these clothes would be completely appropriate for seeing patients in the clinic as a professional, but that doesn't make it interview-worthy.

If I were a girl I would do a suit, either with a skirt or pants. The colorful tops you guys are linking to seem perfectly fine. They're like a guy's tie, he has a little bit of leeway in what he wears as long as it's not stupid. But please don't wear a dress with a cardigan or regular pants with a blouse. Get a suit.

Last edited:
Not a guy, but I interact with interviewees fairly often. I can say that I have seen girls in dresses, and they seemed very underdressed, just like the time I saw a guy wearing a nice sweater and cords instead of the suit everyone else was wearing.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about what professional/business wear is among women. A lot of these clothes would be completely appropriate for seeing patients in the clinic as a professional, but that doesn't make it interview-worthy.

If I were a girl I would do a suit, either with a skirt or pants. The colorful tops you guys are linking to seem perfectly fine. They're like a guy's tie, he has a little bit of leeway in what he wears as long as it's not stupid. But please don't wear a dress with a cardigan or regular pants with a blouse. Get a suit.

There was a thread a couple months ago with a girl who wanted to wear one of those sun dresses with the bow in the.back and a matching bow in her hair. So yes, this confusion exists

Basically, if your plan at all includes the possibility that a girl friend will see you on interview day and you two will call each other cute, make that high pitched noise, and jump up and down a bunch.... you've made a terrible mistake

They're like a guy's tie, he has a little bit of leeway in what he wears as long as it's not stupid.

How dare you question my right as an American to wear silly ties!!!

694406-400x400.jpg

Too much going on. Play it safe with a solid.

That said, I'd wear it another time. : )

Goodness, please go back to the beginning and read what I wrote :( I only asked if my top was okay. Somebody else responded that they liked it but also would wear a dress, to which I said I thought I would be okay if the dress was professional. I never once said I was planning to wear a dress!

Well, you have your answer at this point. Good luck to you.