Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Give it to me straight Doctor.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by scottyJ, Mar 3, 2007.

1. scottyJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok, I am applying to dental schools June 1st 2007, the first day admissions open, but I am having doubts. My doubts are:

1. I have a 3.18 GPA in Biochemistry and Molecular Bio and a minor in Music From UC Davis. I am not certain my science GPA but it is probably around 3.0. I know this is a low GPA but can I still get in somewhere? Does nutrition, food science, and astronomy count for science GPA? Does it matter that I majored in biochem? Damn I should have been an NPB major.

2. I have failed two classes. Neither of them are the "required classes for dental schools" but I am worried that they will just throw my application out seeing some Fs. Stupid viticulture and biochem.

Those are my two main things that are causing me grief. I am not worried about my DAT; I am hoping to "get it dirty" in a month from now, like im going to get an AA of 25 or 99% fo sho; trust me, all I have been doing for the last 4 months is studying, Kaplan, scholorware, examcrackers, you name it. I also have shadowed 3 dentists and they are writing me good letters. Also I did a college sport for two years then had two jobs working in labs for the rest of the time at school. I have two science profs, a music prof, and my supervisors writing me letters. Am I going to get into dental school? Do I have a chance? Oh, I'm white, and I come from professional parents, if that matters. Give it to me straight.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zebrafish

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So here's my straight talk... your GPA is on the lower side, however, if you score well on your DAT it will help. Also, remember, that if you are still in school you have an opportunity to raise it a bit and AADSAS has a window in Dec. to report your new grades. As far as the black marks on your transcripts, retake the courses and earn better grades. If you do those things as well as EC's you will have a fair chance. Don't get down on yourself, after all we are people and we do make mistakes.

4. Snahster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wow that F in biochem hurts. Biochem is becoming a requirement at more and more schools each year. You can actually submit your application before june (it comes out around mid-may). I would definitely retake biochem... that is gonna hurt ya....

5. scottyJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, I did retake both of the classes and got good grades I think B+ and A-.
    Yeah, I already graduated, so should I take classes at a JC to up my science gpa?

6. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I love when people know they're going to get that trusted 25AA to save them from a year of impending doubt. Your low GPA will preclude you from getting an interview at many dental schools. A 21+ will help compensate.

Good luck.

7. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Agreed. 20s on the DAT, maybe some postbac work and you should be fine.

8. zebrafish

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What do you mean by JC? Junior College??

9. scottyJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Jesus Christ, yeah Junior College, hahahaha

10. lilchinoboy03

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Shoot for great DATs. But also know that scoring a 25 probably means you only missed like 6-8 questions on the whole DAT (not including PAT). It's an unrealistic expectation, but a good bar to set for yourself. GL with that. ALSO, be careful with your GPA...those F's will factor into your AADSAS GPA if I'm not mistaken (I haven't applied yet either)...and that might drop it down some. However, with an increasing GPA trend and good ECs and DATs...you stand a chance.

11. zebrafish

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just making sure that what you meant. You could however I wouldn't recommend that. I think ADCOMM's will see through that and specific universities will not accept credits if they are not from a 4 year school (ie. Tufts), but I guess it really depends on where you want to go. Check the schools req.s

12. scottyJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Pshhh, missing 6-8, dude, I aint going to miss any, maybe possibly like 1 or 2. haha

13. fancymylotus

fancymylotus A Whole New World
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

hrm..i like your attitude. PM me if you have specific questions about the DAT beast :)

14. scottyJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What do you all think about this... Do I have a better chance if I go to grad school for a year like in some science and get an MS then apply. Hoping in grad school I get better grades. Do people normally do this?

15. zebrafish

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just make sure that if your going to commit to a program that you can finish it in time to go to D school. Some schools will not accept you until you finish your program (again check the schools you want to apply to). Also there are 2 kinds of master in science; thesis based and non-thesis. Thesis based is usually longer. Getting a masters is not uncommon.

16. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you make a 25 on the DAT you're golden, the rest of your application won't even matter.

17. Snahster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Not true. I got 24 with a decent science and total GPA (3.6+), still recieved 3 rejections.

18. l2suture

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, isn't that what you got on your DAT armorshell?

19. dizzle23x

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    can't you only submit up to 4 recs starting this coming cycle?

20. armorshell

Non-Student
    *nodnod*

21. icepinkish

icepinkish O! teeeeeth~
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    agreed. What have you been getting on your practice tests? maybe you should take the DAT first and see how it goes, then decide whether you need a MS to boost up your app. If you do get a 25 then u are fine. gl.

22. fancymylotus

fancymylotus A Whole New World
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

I know someone that never broke a 20 on any practice test in AA or TS and ended up with a 25 on the real thing...

23. toothfairy85

toothfairy85 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I wish that were true. I have a friend who made a 25 DAT/25 PAT. His GPA was around a 3.3 and he didn't get an interview to his state school. He had plenty of extracurriculars too.

24. diane07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't think you're ever "golden" until you have an acceptance in hand.

I know someone who scored 20+ and had a fairly high GPA and was not accepted.

Sometimes people who are very competitive are not accepted simply due to the fact that there just aren't enough spots! It's not a reflection on them, it's just the luck of the draw that year. The schools that have 3000+ applications probably miss a few really good candidates each year, it happens!

You can only do your best to make yourself as competitive as possible.

Good luck!

25. leedizzal

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Found out you dident want to make wine eh ???

Haha I took those classes too at UCD grew up in the Napa valley so seemed natural, then decided I dident give a crap bout verasion, and nodes and all that stuff about grape vines...

Any way I woudlent worry to much bout your vit class but BIOChem is pretty major sseing as thats a huge part of the first two years of dent school they are going to see that and say ohhhh

F in Biochem not good so good thing you retook it...

Id say your attitude might get ya caned though, from your postings you come off very cocky in my opinion...

Mabye its confidence being mistaken but its edging on arrogant... Dont underestimate the DAT, but then again you might pull a 25 and more power too ya, I just cant help but wonder if somebody dident put that much effort into their undergrad to match a GPA with that kinda DAT score why would they pull that kinda DAT score...

Just some food for thought..

You ought to be okay though if you do alright on the DAT, good luck...

26. armorshell

Non-Student
    To all of the people shouting how a 25 AA could go unaccepted, with a high GPA to boot: Something was wrong there. Either they applied late, to not enough schools, maybe had a bad LOR.

Schools aren't ignoring a set of stats like that simply because there "aren't enough slots"

27. Snahster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Believe what you want.

28. armorshell

Non-Student
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to rub your face in it. All I have to go off of is my own experience, and my experience has shown the DAT can be a saving grace.

29. diane07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    armorshell - that's great that you got accepted with your stats.

But I do think that sometimes well qualified candidates (and by this I mean that they are well rounded - stats, personality, ability, talent) aren't always accepted.

Now are there contributing factors to that . . . sure (ie - only applying to a few schools or applying late) But regardless, it does happen.

And let's face it, for some of the schools that receive 2000-3000+ applications for 100-150 seats, they probably are rejecting some pretty good candidates simply because they don't have the room. To me, the math is pretty obvious and add that to the personal experiences of others that I know . . .

And Snahster . . . I believe you.

30. lgwdnbdgr

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Personally, I wouldn't bother. Unless you start really rocking (you are a junior, I presume?) you aren't going to get in due to GPA. Bumping your sGPA from 3.0 to 3.1 isn't going to make a lick of difference. That's not to say that you shouldn't try to ace all of your classes; rather that adding in an extra class at JC just won't produce enough quality points to really make a meaningful difference.

Something to consider: fewer than half of all applicants will get accepted somewhere. That isn't meant to make you feel bad, but to help you contemplate your strategy. Imagine the average applicant to dental school. He isn't getting in. Now, imagine a candidate who can clearly demonstrate to adcomms that he is better than the aforementioned average applicant. That guy isn't getting in, either. Your job is the convince the adcomm that you are even better than that second applicant. It can be done with a 3.0 sGPA and has been done this year by SDNers. It's pretty hard, though.

Find something unique about your application and market that in your personal statement. Explain to the adcomms how your unique experience is a better indicator of future success than grades. Rock the rest of your classes, do well on the DAT and you should be able to convince some adcomms that those Fs (and I'm guessing some Cs and Ds?) aren't indicative of your true ability.

My last advice is to keep reading SDN. The folks here will scare you spitless and motivate you to work your tail off! :laugh:

31. scottyJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, reading back, I do sound cocky, but I was posting after 10 hours of studying and rockin and rollin on caffeine and sugar and I didnt mean to come off arrogant. I was like :scared:, but anyways, Thanks for all your input, I am actaully going to be applying to around 15 schools and crossing my fingers, I think I will also apply to some postbacks. Anyone know the deal with UCSF's postback? And I have been scoring around 20 overall for my practice tests, but I also hear that the practice tests are much harder and over prepare you, but that could just be fable, oh no, im starting to stress out again! Again, you all rule and make me smile.