Give it to me straight (that's what she said)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lebronomics

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please give me your advice!

I completed my undergrad at a state school (not ranked). I hold a BSB/Management and the only science courses I've completed are the pre-reqs, physio, calc I and II, and stats. Here are my numbers:

First year of undergrad - 1.80 GPA
Following three years - 3.95 GPA
-------------------------------
cGPA - 3.40 ; sGPA - 3.75

MCAT: 13PS 10VR 11BS (34R)

I have been accepted to an SMP which begins in the next couple of weeks.

My question: Would it be better for me to do another year of undergrad and raise my uGPA to 3.54 cGPA and 3.80 sGPA, or do an SMP and have a gGPA of 3.9-4.0?

Applying to medical school this year is not an option for me (I don't think the reasons matter), so I have 12 months to do something that will boost my competitiveness. The cost of the program is not a decision-maker for me, so that does not need to be factored into the decision.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.54/34 might give you ~62-64% chance of an acceptance (based on AMCAS statistics). That's not a small chance of success, but to my mind the SMP is probably going to give you better odds than that, if you perform at the high level you've been demonstrating. Since money is not an issue, I'd choose the SMP.

Thank you for the reply. I am very excited about this SMP and that is the route I prefer, so it's good to receive positive feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that the 63% is just the acceptance rate for ALL applicants with those stats. Since you show an OBVIOUS upward trend in your grades, your chances at admission are probably higher (assuming you have the "average" or slightly above average amount of ECs)

As long as you have a balanced application and apply broadly (5-10 safeties), your chances of acceptance are quite good whether you do SMP or not. If I were you I'd try to find work in that year off (med school = expensive, med student = impoverished), but I'm sure we are different people. Good luck in whatever you do choose.

In your other thread you mentioned that the SMP you've been accepted to is a newer one, and affiliated with a DO school, but that your ultimate goal is acceptance to an MD program. Has the program been around long enough to have established a track record, with some known statistics for its alumni of getting accepted to both MD and DO programs? My concern is that, as a new program, it won't be generally recognized, and that it will not be known what weight to give to the GPA you earn. Thus, you may not receive the same cashe that you might have had to get your undergrad GPA overridden. Your statistical chances of an MD acceptance may be no better than what they would have been without the SMP.

Practically, speaking, it may not matter, as your GPA/MCAT combo already give you decent odds of an MD acceptance. You would still gain the advantage of considerable experience with first year med school classes that can take some of the first-year stress away. But I would want you to be clear that the relative benefit of completing the program with great grades may not be as advantageous as I had first expressed, unless you have data from the school's counselors that is reassuring on this point.

No, they really don't have much data. The school at which I'll complete the SMP is also the school most in my program are trying to get into. My MCAT and even GPA are above the other students'.

It 'seems' like a very good program, and I know it will be very challenging. I'm sick of undergrad and would love to do this program. Like I said, I don't want money to be the decision maker, but if my application would actually be stronger with another year of undergrad....that's a different issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Please give me your advice!

I completed my undergrad at a state school (not ranked). I hold a BSB/Management and the only science courses I've completed are the pre-reqs, physio, calc I and II, and stats. Here are my numbers:

First year of undergrad - 1.80 GPA
Following three years - 3.95 GPA
-------------------------------
cGPA - 3.40 ; sGPA - 3.75

MCAT: 13PS 10VR 11BS (34R)

I have been accepted to an SMP which begins in the next couple of weeks.

My question: Would it be better for me to do another year of undergrad and raise my uGPA to 3.54 cGPA and 3.80 sGPA, or do an SMP and have a gGPA of 3.9-4.0?

Applying to medical school this year is not an option for me (I don't think the reasons matter), so I have 12 months to do something that will boost my competitiveness. The cost of the program is not a decision-maker for me, so that does not need to be factored into the decision.

Thanks for any help.
Dude why not apply now? That strong upward trend will help you out ALOT. Are you URM? I think you have a shot at M.D. why wait and do smp?

Nope, I'm a tall, white, goofy looking male. I cannot apply until next year because my wife is finishing her program.

Catalystik: You seem to have a lot of experience. I would appreciate any final words of advice you may have for me considering the program I am doing.

Thanks again.

You'd said previously that money was no object. Is the money for this program coming from the parental pocketbook (what I assumed you meant)? Is it coming from your pocket? What would be the relative cost of a year of postbac vs doing the SMP-like program?

How many of the classes are the same as the first year med students? Do you have control over your classroom choices? If you are feeling overwhelmed, can you drop a class? Do you understand that if you don't excel in this program that you could actually decrease your chances at med school? Will others in the class be MD candidates? Was there a class last year, and what was their outcome?

The money for the program is coming from my pocket, and I have been able to avoid debt completely up to this point. The total loan amount I will have to take out for the SMP is ~$35,000; the post-bac will require ~$15,000. I did not mean to say that money was no object, but I am okay with spending an additional $20,000 (more like $30,000 by the time interest gets done with me) if it is spent in a way which gives a higher probability of getting into the residency/specialty I desire.

I know there are lots of arguments out there about how the school doesn't matter for your residency, but family members who have chosen different schools (WashU, Ohio State, Creighton, GW, and AT Still) have shown me that there is a difference. I know you can work for any residency from any school, but the percentages don't seem to stack up in my favor the lower I go.

Most of the courses are the same as the first year med students, but the labs are separate so include more cats and less cadavers. Outside of the core courses, I have options. I can take embryology, nutritional biochem, oncology.... I can drop a course within the first three weeks of it starting with no penalty or 'W' on my transcript.

I do understand the necessity of a high GPA in this program. I have seen the horror stories of a low 3.x GPA, and I'm confident in my work ethic through the 9-months.

Some in my class will be MD candidates, but most are DO hopefuls. Last year, I know of 11 students accepted to various programs, and 2 were MD. One was Baylor, and I think the other was Creighton. About the same number of students applied to dental schools and were accepted all across the country.

Thanks again for your help, and if there are any other specifics you need which will help you to better guide me, please let me know.