give it to me straight, too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drago

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT back and I have been bitten by the verbal bug as well. I got a 30 overall (verbal-8, physical 12, biological 10, essay-T). I am already graduating so I don't want to take this again next april and end up taking 2 years off from school. I have a super high GPA from a prestigious university and I have done loads of community work and research. What kind of position am I in? Some have told me to immediately start preparing for next april's verbal section (no way i'm taking it in august) so that if I don't get in anywhere (I'll find out at about the time the april 2002 MCAT rolls around) then i'll be ready for the exam. i really don't want to start worrying about that now. do you thing i need to?

Members don't see this ad.

Man, at least you hit the nat'l average.

Drago, babe, I think your freaking out a little too much. Sure you would like to be better in verbal. But we'd all like to be better in something. Is it really worth it to you to delay your application for another year and put yourself back in MCAT mode for a CHANCE at raising your verbal score. Especially considering that you could go down, especially in writing. If you have a well rounded package you should be okay. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Ivan (hope you got the rocky IV reference),
the scores are dope. Chances are the PS will drop (as per my advisor) and you may end up with the same thing, just a differnet break down. Is it worth it? For you to decide. My boy with those same scores isn't retaking, fwiw.

take care!

lumi

The first question that comes to mind: are you a California resident? Because that will make a huge difference. In general, your scores are fine; the 8 in verbal is a bit on the bubble, but in terms of most non-top 15 schools, you're a contender. But scores that are considered good in the rest of the country are put under a different microscope in California. It depends on where you want to go.

First, welcome to SDN.

It really depends on what you want. If you want to go to a top school, you might have some trouble. If you want to go to a good med school and get an MD, you're fine. You can be in med school next year.

For top schools, you will probably run into some hassles. But, you will definitely get into a number of medical schools. You just might have to "settle" on going to a lower teir school. "Settle" on being a doctor........

--jimmybee

Yes, I am a California resident. However, I don't really mind which school I go to.

Apply now. I agree with the poster who said you culd also go down. You could have a tough day and drop one of your other high scores. All your other stats should make up for you 8.

I'll give it to you straight.... APPLY THIS YEAR!!! You're trippin'.... If you don't mind which school, then I suggest looking into the schools and choosing wisely.

If you want top notch schools, then you're in deep... (you know what)....

WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D

I think fiatslug and dtreese put it perfectly -- it really depends on where you want to go. Honestly, those scores might keep you out of some of the UC's, maybe all. But, it sounds like you have a very good chance at other schools out of state. If you aren't feeling too picky about where you want to go, and you just want to get started next year, go ahead and apply.