Give it to me straight. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinyboybabyboy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • cGPA: 3.47 sGPA: 3.45
  • MCAT: 511
  • State of residence: Texas
  • Ethnicity and/or race: White
  • Clinical experience: Around 30 hours as Hospice Volunteer
  • Research experience: 2.5 Years of Cell Biology Research
  • Shadowing experience: 60 hrs shadowing pediatrics, internal, family, emergency, and ophthalmology
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Summer Camp for two summers: around 500+ hrs
  • Other extracurricular activities: On-campus leadership group, officer in biological society, lifeguarded for a summer, worked part-time jobs throughout undergrad, Undergrad Research Scholar team leader, Worked full time in lab environment for 4 months at time of application
  • Award associated with on-campus leadership group, small college of science scholarship,

I am a reapplicant. My application was done in May however my MCAT scores didn't go out until August.

Due to insufficient funds, I was unable to apply OOS but I utilized TMDSAS to apply to all schools (except Baylor) in Texas.

Give it to me straight, ya hear! Don't hold nuthin back!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • MCAT: 311
  • Shadowing experience: 60 hrs shadowing pediatrics, internal, family, emergency, and ophthalmology
  • Other extracurricular activities: On-campus leadership group, officer in biological society, lifeguarded for a summer, worked part-time jobs throughout undergrad, Undergrad Research Scholar team leader, Worked full time in lab environment for 4 months at time of application
  • Award associated with on-campus leadership group, small college of science scholarship,
I am a reapplicant. My application was done in May however my MCAT scores didn't go out until August.

Due to insufficient funds, I was unable to apply OOS but I utilized TMDSAS to apply to all schools (except Baylor) in Texas.

MCAT 311? Hopefully u mean 511? Great score. How'd u do the first time? Some schools average

MCAT 311? Hopefully u mean 511? Great score. How'd u do the first time? Some schools average

Yes 511! Last year I scored a 500. If the schools average then that really takes the wind from my sails.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if its too late to add some DO schools as back up? idk about whether TX schools average but just to be safe look into DO schools - u should have a solid shot at some of them.

You may receive some interviews from you Texas MD schools with your new MCAT score. It is not too late to apply to DO schools so apply to at least 10 and you are competitive for all DO schools.

only 30 clinical volunteering hours? Why not just take your time and actually build a successful application? If you're already applying MD you're already at a disadvantage because of your gpa, which is whatever it happens but you have to make it up by good volunteering and experiences. 30 hours with a subpar gpa just doesn't cut it especially since your 511 isn't your only mcat.

Are you asking for next cycle? I would apply to your Texas schools, maybe a handful of OOS privates, and any 7-10 DO schools that you want to apply to. You are competitive for all DO schools and I would think you should get an II or 2 from you state schools with your new MCAT.

Your stats are competitive for a number of the TX schools, except Baylor, UT-SW and UT-H. You're fine for nearly all DO schools. However, you have a lethally low number of patient contact experience. My student interviewers would eat you alive.

• MCAT: 511