Give it to me straight!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TWP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Because all of you know more about this process than most appl members that I know, I would greatly appreciate your help/advice. So here goes: 23 male, good letters, awesome ECs, good letters, awesome experience, below grades (3.2-3.3) I forget what I ended up with, and am practicing right now with high 20s and one 30 in practice, but actually sliding a little with the practice tests lately. I am a Texas resident and I really don't want to end up falling on my face with a sub-par MCAT in less than a month and then having them throw my application in the trash. I know that if I had more time to really focus on my PS section I could do get well into the 30s. I am plus 10 in Bio and VB but can't get my basic chem and phys down b/c its been 3 years and I'm pretty ******ed. My question to you all is if it is better to send everything in May with the rolling classes with a weaker MCAT or wait to get my PS section up to 10+ before I send it in to the schools???

Thanks Everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, with your lower GPA, you are probably going to need an above-average MCAT. I wouldn't submit anything until you get your April MCAT scores back. If you are happy with how you did, then submit in June (you'll still be really early).

Study of A**S off for that MCAT.

See how much you are scoring on the actual AMCAS tests (that was a pretty good estimate for me), If you are scoring consistently below 30, I would even consider taking more time and not taking the test right now.
Take it in august.
However if you are scoring around 30, study really really hard and take it.

MCAT depends a lot on how you perform under pressure.
Also, did you take a prep course.
I think that made a decent difference difference for me (around 5pts total).

I recommend exam crackers.
If you don't have this in your area, at least get the books.
If you don't wanna get all the books, at least get the Orgo part.
For Orgo. ALL you need to know is in that book ( and it is a pretty thin book).

Remember, once you take that test, the result is out.
So only take it if you are FULLY ready.

And I agree with the previous advice, you do need great MCAT scores to stand out.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
can you audit basic chem + physics courses at a university/college somewhere? you really need tons of practice and need to know how to do the basics for the PS section to break a 10 in it. you will definitely need above a 30.

Hey

Thank you for the info. You are right about me needing to really kick the crap out of the test to get in or even considered. It is a reality check for sure and now I know what I need to do. I currently have the EK books and have been working with them. However, there are no courses around me so I'm going to have to do it alone. That and work keeps me too busy for a stuctured class. Did anyone have luck with the Audio Osmosis? Did you follow the self study schedule? Thanks Again, time to tighten down and get things done.

Do the practice tests on the MCAT website over and over. I disagree with some of the advice here. I think you should go for the April test and try to get your application out as soon as possible. July at the latest. If you are getting 30s on the practice tests already you have a good shot at a 30 or above on the real thing.

You are a texas resident which gives you a great shot with an early application. :)

If you want to wait an extra year before applying then I might recommend spending the summer cranking on the MCAT and take it in August.

Thanks People,

I am just going to study my butt off and hope for the best with the August test there if I need it. That or my final practice test sucks and then I will probably cry for a couple weeks and get back at it w/o the April test. I guess I am just trying to flip myself out with all the worrying about scores and stuff. Thanks for the info, yet again.

Applying early is always a good thing, even if you have to wait for an August MCAT. Although that is not the optimal thing to do, its better than waiting to submit your application after receiving your August MCAT scores. If you think you are OK to take the MCAT this April, then go for it, and see how it goes from there.

Additionally, I'd think about taking more classes to boost that GPA of yours. Its not that bad but you want to cover all your bases. Some schools treat MCAT and GPA equally, and therefore being good in one may not make up for deficiency in another area. I'd be pretty content if you can just show a good upward trend, and if possible get close to a 3.4 or 3.5. At later stages, moving up 0.1 grade points might be hard, so you can sorta make up for that by showing good trends. Just something to consider. Good luck in April! :luck:

I graduated this past May and have been working as an orthopedic surgicals sales rep. So the taking more classes is not an option for me. That and I had a horrible time with my biology dept at my university my final two years. In fact we had four profs get fired mid semester and took one genetics class with an idiot and a cell biology class with EIGHT different guest lecturers for only one class!!! I will have to do well with MCAT/lots of experience in health care and medicine over the past five years. I guess I'm just going to have to buckle down and get it done. I guess I'm going to take the test in April and see what happens and keep preparing for the August test. Thanks again for all the help.

For you Texas guys and gals am I doomed if I get my application in by June and take the August test??? I know they won't look at it until then but I was wondering if it would be the kiss of death to me if my scores are good, but not as early as I would like?