Give It To Me Straight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm starting to think that I might apply to Illinois schools only AND continue the plan that I have layed out thus far. Just for the hell of it. Rush, UIC, Chicago Med, Loyola, and SIU. I'll know for sure after talking to UIC, but I figure it's at least worth 270 bucks to try.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is what the dean of UIC med school told me:

Yes, the verbal score of 7 is not so hot. Yes, the 26 MCAT is not terribly competitive. But hey, stranger things have happened. He told me that every other part of my application is as good as can be expected from a premed student. His advice to me is to apply to the Illinois schools and a handful of the lowest tiered out-of-state schools. I'll probably get secondaries, SELL MYSELF IN THE SECONDARIES, fight to get to the interview, SELL MYSELF LIKE NEVER BEFORE IN THE INTERVIEW, and see what happens. He told me that I'd probably get rejections and waitlists, but again - stranger things have happened. It will be a steep, uphill battle, but I might be able to weasle my way into a medical school somewhere in the US.

So here I go. I'm going to think about what schools I'm going to apply to (think I'll apply to 12 - I can't waste too much money on this) and do just that. Apply and give it the best fight I can muster.

And I'm still going to study like crazy for the April MCAT as per my previous posts.

I am at a point where I refuse to make this decision based on what usually happens. Because if things usually happen one way, then they must also be happening in an unusual way to somebody.

And hey - what do I have to lose besides money?

I do not know why many people keep repeating the same tired old verbal tricks over and over again, given the fact everybody knows about it and constitute the majority of the people who fall victim to the MCATs.

A speedreading course is not worth it because it lets you pay for something they assume to be complex (i.e., that it requires a course). Let me give you another one of my highly anticipated and potentially time-honored secrets. I bet I can score better in Verbal than the combined pool of Kaplanian/Princetonian instructors.

If you are one of the UNFORTUNATE people who were lazy to read and therefore never acquired that comprehension speed reading, then do two things:

1. Improve recognition by writing a list of words. Preferably difficult-looking words from a dictionary (or from the passages). Glance at them and in another sheet of paper rewrite them again, with the correct spelling... everything... be photographic. Start with 4 and work your way up. I can replicate about 18 unfamiliar words each time, no problem. This exercise will improve your "speed" without loss of "recognition"

2. Improve your vocabulary and word usage by reading materials you do not like. For words you do not understand, make a list, do no. 1 and use the dictionary. What materials? Newsweek? Mags? Unless you have all the time in the world, these are CRAP. Get your hands onto any, preferably ALL VERBAL EXAMS... AAMC, Kaplan, Princeton, SAT, LSAT, anything with questions and answers. Make PHOTOCOPIES of these passages and read these instead of other things.

The point is to get to the point. Use materials closest to the exam. Practice your "skills" there. And you need not rely on some fancy course to help you because there is nothing COMPLEX about improving reading and comprehension. Just do the two things I told you and everything will be easy. Look at that, you spent NOTHING for these tips. All you need now is discipline.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, here's my list. These schools had the lowest verbal scores and the highest out-of state acceptance percentages in the US. Or they are my state schools (IL):

MCP Hahnemann
UIC
Loyola University
SIU
Robert Wood Johnson
George Washington University
St. Louis University
New York Medical College (Valhalla)
Rush
Chicago Medical School
Wayne State
University of Vermont
Wright State

13 schools. Slim odds. Worth a shot.

I would not normally ask this outright, but this time I really have to.

Monster - for all your talk, I'm dying to know - what was your verbal score?

Well,

There certainly isn't a dearth of straight talk on this board so I am going to give it a shot myself....I went to a decent University and screwed around. Let me be honest, I got a 3.3 and took a year off to work full time as a chemist (I worked full time through out). I got a D+ in physics (missed a test after coming back from spring break late) and it through me for a loop (that is why I took a year off). I was told by my admissions person after I got the D+, don't even bother! So I eventually went back and graduated with a degree in Biochem. I then went on to JHU for a Ph.D. in chemistry (all the while wishing I could do M.D.) and did well (3.65 all hard core grad sciences). Well, then (no bull****) I got cancer (I am O.K. now, melanoma and now it is gone) and I thought, "Hell, here I am avoiding ER on the TV because I wish I could do something else, I might as well give it a shot!". Anyway, I ended up studying like a champ for the MCAT and ended up with a 37T (Irish luck I suppose). I would really like to go be a doc...but my undergrad is holding me back like concrete shoes on a snitch. In reality, I know my MCAT will help some, but what do you guys think?
I sincerely appreciate everyone on this boards help, by and large I wouldn't mind anyone of you treating me!

Originally posted by rxfudd:
•OK, here's my list. These schools had the lowest verbal scores and the highest out-of state acceptance percentages in the US. Or they are my state schools (IL):

MCP Hahnemann
UIC
Loyola University
SIU
Robert Wood Johnson
George Washington University
St. Louis University
New York Medical College (Valhalla)
Rush
Chicago Medical School
Wayne State
University of Vermont
Wright State

13 schools. Slim odds. Worth a shot.•

hey,
you would be OK for osteo. schools. why not apply there? the osteo. application process is more forgiving as far as the numbers are concerned, but lets you shine in other aspects of your application.
if not - retake your MCATs. if you really want to go MD, you can do it. don't be afraid to "lose" a year.
regards, ...

Good advice, Jeff05 - realistically, I could give a damn less what degree I get so long as I can practice medicine. Here are a few reasons that I am not yet prepared to apply to DO schools:

1) I have not yet fully done my research on DO schools, including COMLEX and USMLE pass rates at different schools, different aspects of residencies, etc

2) I did not send my transctiprs/MCATs to the DO application service, and they started applying june 1 - i want to start right away if i apply so that i am right even with the competition

3) I would like to spend some time shadowing a DO/working in a DO hospital so that I have more experience in osteopathic medicine and also some things to talk about in essays, interviews, etc.

I will apply this year to MD schools. If it doesn't happen, I will retake the mcat and apply to both MD and DO schools next year.

Thanks for the advice!

Olsen,
Give it a shot. I think you are definitely med school material. Youve done excellent. Youre not the same person that u were when you were screwing around in college. I would take you in over someone whose had their nose buried in books the last 4 years. Trust me, yuoull get in.

Radio.