Give me some hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LivinOnEdge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to have a 3.7 GPA after this term as a sophomore, but I have a C in multivariable calc, and a C in General Chemistry.

And I have rather few(AKA nearly zero other than some honor societies) EC's.

Mostly, this is due to me not knowing what I wanted to do my freshman year. I now truly have a desire to become a physician.

Will I be competitive with the other 3.7's or am I in a special case because I have two C's?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope, two C's is basically a death sentence. Stick a fork in your professional career because it's done.

Im not paranoid, but I am just wondering, considering that being a biology major, I have no backup plan other than medical school.

I understand that a 3.7 is a good GPA, and I would not have any complaints if there weren't 2 C's on my record.

And I feel that my bigger problem is my lack of EC's.

To be truthful, I am not sure I'll be able to maintain an upward grade trend. I've had ADHD since I was in grade school, and I am trying very hard to focus on school work.

Members don't see this ad :)

There you go. You know your problem, now fix it!! You have a good gpa, but you have to keep it up. The two C's aren't going to be a big problem if you maintain/improve your current gpa (haven't you read the other "OMGSH I GOT A 'C'!! I'M DOOMED!!!" threads??)

So 2 C's are not a big problem?

That goes contrary to a lot of what I have heard.

So 2 C's are not a big problem?

That goes contrary to a lot of what I have heard.

:confused: Can't tell if trolling, but I'll bite.

I got into Duke with 2 Cs and a W. Focus on proving those Cs wrong by keeping all As from here on out, and build your EC repertoire.

Good luck!

Im not paranoid, but I am just wondering, considering that being a biology major, I have no backup plan other than medical school.

I understand that a 3.7 is a good GPA, and I would not have any complaints if there weren't 2 C's on my record.

Well, your overall GPA is only one factor of many that admission committees look at. For one thing, they separate out your overall and science GPA. Here are a few of my thoughts

1. Two C's aren't the end of the world, many pre-meds have overcome far worse and gained admission into medical school

2. What are you doing about your lack of ECs other than complaining on this forum? I believe summer is coming up...and I believe that you have another good solid year before you apply.

3. You didn't mention the MCAT...research your target school and see what the avg is...regardless though, study hard and try your best to do well the first time. However, if you don't, you can re-take and admission committees will not look upon your application unfavorably

4. When you apply, submit your AMCAS application June 1st

5. Be passionate about something...even if it's not related to medicine. It makes for awesome conversation during your interviews...and lets them know that you're not only smart but well rounded.

6. Remember that you have a life outside of school and pre-med stuff. Take care of yourself. Sleep, eat well, and remember to be thankful for what you have and not take so many things for granted.

7. Never give up on your dreams. It might take longer than you planned, but with patience, perseverance, mentors, and lots of hard work you can do nearly anything you set your mind to do.

This is just my 2 cents...

Nope, not trolling.

Trolling would be if I asked if I could still get into DO schools.

I have nothing against DO's by the way, and will consider it if MD schools dont take kindly to my lack of EC's.

I was just wondering.

My GPA is actually a lil bit lower, at abut 3.68. But will hopefully be above 3.7 by the time I apply.

So will I have a 75%+ shot at getting in somewhere if I fix those deficiencies?

To be truthful, I am not sure I'll be able to maintain an upward grade trend. I've had ADHD since I was in grade school, and I am trying very hard to focus on school work.

You'll be fine in terms of your GPA. You will need to work on your ECs..polish them with 1) research, 2) clinical experience, 3) community service/volunteerism

Well, your overall GPA is only one factor of many that admission committees look at. For one thing, they separate out your overall and science GPA. Here are a few of my thoughts

1. Two C's aren't the end of the world, many pre-meds have overcome far worse and gained admission into medical school

2. What are you doing about your lack of ECs other than complaining on this forum? I believe summer is coming up...and I believe that you have another good solid year before you apply.

3. You didn't mention the MCAT...research your target school and see what the avg is...regardless though, study hard and try your best to do well the first time. However, if you don't, you can re-take and admission committees will not look upon your application unfavorably

4. When you apply, submit your AMCAS application June 1st

5. Be passionate about something...even if it's not related to medicine. It makes for awesome conversation during your interviews...and lets them know that you're not only smart but well rounded.

6. Remember that you have a life outside of school and pre-med stuff. Take care of yourself. Sleep, eat well, and remember to be thankful for what you have and not take so many things for granted.

7. Never give up on your dreams. It might take longer than you planned, but with patience, perseverance, mentors, and lots of hard work you can do nearly anything you set your mind to do.

This is just my 2 cents...

+1 to this post. :)

Nope, not trolling.

I have nothing against DO's by the way, and will consider it if MD schools dont take kindly to my lack of EC's.

I was just wondering.

My GPA is actually a lil bit lower, at abut 3.68. But will hopefully be above 3.7 by the time I apply.

You have a year before you apply. There is no reason for you not to have clinical and non-clinical EC's to put on your application. MD schools shouldn't even see a "lack of EC's" if you are serious about going to medical school, since you have plenty of time to get some in.

Nope, not trolling.

I was just wondering.

Dude whether you are ask my chances for an MD or DO is not trolling (well, IMO). Each person has a different story and there are times when you feel the big questions need to be asked. Some will care and some will not but it is better to ask the questions than not ask them at all.

Here is the stats on the AMCAS. You look good to go from this.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

I truly, honestly, with all of my heart want to become a physician, and nothing else.

No, I will not consider PA, or nursing, I would rather be a high school teacher(my backup plan).

But anyway, if I decide to go the DO route, should I retake these two classes?

and would it help my case to an adcom that I wish to practice rural Family Medicine?

I mean, I still want to get an MD after all. But I just want to know where I stand.

I think I will do well on the MCAT. My SAT score was a 2250. But there is no way of telling.

Oh, and I go to an average state school.

And I'm Indian. Which might hurt me.

Another Question.

What exactly should I do if I don't get in to a MD or DO school?

is reapplying usually a good way to spend $5k, or should I choose my plan B(HS Science teacher).

And does anyone know if you can teach High school physics with a Major in Biochemistry and a minor in Physics?

Wow, I am starting to sound like a Troll. Not my intention guys, I swear. ill work on assuring my acceptance to at MD or DO school.

But anyway, if I decide to go the DO route, should I retake these two classes?

and would it help my case to an adcom that I wish to practice rural Family Medicine?
I wouldn't retake two C's. Just do well in your other prereq's

It will help your case at a lot of schools, but you have to show your interest by getting involved in rural family medicine. At bare minimum, you need to shadow in that setting extensively. It would be preferred if you could volunteer in a rural clinic as well. Adcom's will assume that you're just saying that if you don't do anything about it

Another Question.

What exactly should I do if I don't get in to a MD or DO school?

is reapplying usually a good way to spend $5k, or should I choose my plan B(HS Science teacher).

And does anyone know if you can teach High school physics with a Major in Biochemistry and a minor in Physics?

Wow, I am starting to sound like a Troll. Not my intention guys, I swear. ill work on assuring my acceptance to at MD or DO school.
You're still a sophomore. Or at least just finishing up your sophomore year. Worry about volunteering, grades, MCAT, shadowing, etc. before you start moving to your backup plan. If you have to apply after your senior year (rather than after your junior year) in order to raise your GPA, give yourself more time to build up your EC's, etc then go ahead and do it.

Also, about my C's.

One of my terms I got like a 3.1 GPA, including the C in multivariable calc because my mom broke her foot and the doctor screwed it up(I think, I'm actually not clear on these details), and I had to go home to help her throughout the term. Pretty much every weekend. This is actually what got me started thinking about becoming a doctor. Now, I understand that with better time management, it would have been possible for me to have maintained

Is this a mitigating circumstance. If you just dont count that one semester my GPA is probably 3.85-3.9.

Also, if I am to get C's, it is better to get them freshman year than junior year, am I right?

Last edited:
I think I will do well on the MCAT. My SAT score was a 2250. But there is no way of telling.

That's fine, but the MCAT is very different from the SAT. Don't be overconfident about the MCAT when it comes time to take it - study hard.

Just show a positive trend. I have three c's in non pre-reqs and worked hard to fix my gpa. Just do the work and make sure you don't get any more.

Wow your GPA is the exact same as mine.

But my C's are in pre-reqs. Thats the toughie.

So I'm going to have a 3.7 GPA after this term as a sophomore, but I have a C in multivariable calc, and a C in General Chemistry.

And I have rather few(AKA nearly zero other than some honor societies) EC's.

Mostly, this is due to me not knowing what I wanted to do my freshman year. I now truly have a desire to become a physician.

Will I be competitive with the other 3.7's or am I in a special case because I have two C's?

It is still too early to tell my friend.