Give me the hard facts as a Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadianofpeace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard would it be for a Canadian who does DO school in the states to match into Canada and eventually practice internal medicine? The only speciality I for sure 100% cannot see myself doing is family medicine. Everyone is telling me that as a Canadian, due to visa issues it is impossible to do anything well and I will have to live in America my whole life

Members don't see this ad.

I believe if you do an ACGME residency you are allowed to practice in Canada as an osteopathic physician, the residencies (both AOA and ACGME) are merging anyways. You can match into internal medicine or other specialties as well, it all depends on your performance in medical school. Hope this helps somewhat.

Edit: Sorry, don't know about doing a Canadian residency after D.O. School.

Last edited:

Deleted b/c I missed that you were trying to match into a Canadian residency.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Premed101 would be a better place to ask this. Technically DO's match in the first round in most provinces ( ON BC and PQ off the top of my head) but so few Canadians have gone the DO route that it's hard to get a feel for what that really means. I have seen pathology and FM matches at U of T but I can't recall ever seeing an IM match.

The "Hard Facts" in this case don't really exist. Canadians only started applying to DO schools the past few years so I don't think there is any concrete evidence to say what your chances of matching back to Canada are. However even if you don't match in Canada you should have no problem moving back there after completing residency.

If you don't want to do FM don't go DO as a Canadian, you'll probably end up in FM if you want to match Canada. Go MD if you don't want FM at all, even with MD FM is there. I'm matriculating east coast US MD. Why can't you see yourself doing FM 100%? That seems snobby, more bc you can only get into DO.

How hard would it be for a Canadian who does DO school in the states to match into Canada and eventually practice internal medicine? The only speciality I for sure 100% cannot see myself doing is family medicine. Everyone is telling me that as a Canadian, due to visa issues it is impossible to do anything well and I will have to live in America my whole life