Give priority to med sub-I or away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only got a pass on my medicine rotation- not due to poor clinical performance but due to underestimating the shelf exam, and now have a bit of a dilemma regarding 4th year scheduling.

Do you guys think it is more important to schedule a medicine sub-I early and try to do well, honor, and get a LOR, or is it more valuable to use those early August/September months to schedule away rotations out of state? I guess I'm pretty much asking if the medicine grade is that important in the grand scheme of things. My Step I is excellent, and I've gotten high pass or honors on the other rotations so far. In addition, how much does the medicine grade influence my chances at matching at prelim or TY programs? Would that be another reason to do a sub-I early?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I only got a pass on my medicine rotation- not due to poor clinical performance but due to underestimating the shelf exam, and now have a bit of a dilemma regarding 4th year scheduling.

Do you guys think it is more important to schedule a medicine sub-I early and try to do well, honor, and get a LOR, or is it more valuable to use those early August/September months to schedule away rotations out of state? I guess I'm pretty much asking if the medicine grade is that important in the grand scheme of things. My Step I is excellent, and I've gotten high pass or honors on the other rotations so far. In addition, how much does the medicine grade influence my chances at matching at prelim or TY programs? Would that be another reason to do a sub-I early?

Thanks!

Of your 3rd year rotations, medicine and surgery count the most. I would try to do well on your med sub-I to make up for a PASS. Also your IM attendings will probably get you know you much better than any rad attending would on an away, and this can serve as a potential LOR if you do well on your sub -I

IMO, rad aways are more to help YOU decide whether you will fit into a particular program. For the most part, rad aways won't make you all that more competitive, unless you just happen to really hit it off with everyone in the rad department. There's not much you can 'do' during a diagnostic rad away rotation to show how smart you are or how hard of a worker you'll be. You cant even help with the scut. If you really want to do an away, think about IR away so you can really get to know the attendings one on one. Also you'll have a chance to demonstrate your work ethic- thats only recommended if you think you might be interested in IR. Otherwise, stick to the Sub-I.
Hans

Of your 3rd year rotations, medicine and surgery count the most. I would try to do well on your med sub-I to make up for a PASS. Also your IM attendings will probably get you know you much better than any rad attending would on an away, and this can serve as a potential LOR if you do well on your sub -I

IMO, rad aways are more to help YOU decide whether you will fit into a particular program. For the most part, rad aways won't make you all that more competitive, unless you just happen to really hit it off with everyone in the rad department. There's not much you can 'do' during a diagnostic rad away rotation to show how smart you are or how hard of a worker you'll be. You cant even help with the scut. If you really want to do an away, think about IR away so you can really get to know the attendings one on one. Also you'll have a chance to demonstrate your work ethic- thats only recommended if you think you might be interested in IR. Otherwise, stick to the Sub-I.
Hans
if you have a good board score (high 240s) radiology research, and honors in other rotations, will a pass or high pass in medicine really hurt you in the grand scheme of things?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have a good board score (high 240s) radiology research, and honors in other rotations, will a pass or high pass in medicine really hurt you in the grand scheme of things?

You should be fine. You should definitely do at least 1 radiology elective or something (ie research, started a rad interest group) to demonstrate that you are at least familiar with the field. You definitely don't need an away to match at a program if you are otherwise competitive.

Hans

Does the advice change if the medicine grade was a "high pass"?