sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
The Rule:
Once you enroll in X, you must withdraw from all other schools, including onces you're waitlisted at.

The Background:
#1 school starts late-Aug
#2 school starts early Aug
#3 school starts early Sept

The Situation:
Waitlisted at #1, Accepted at #2, Accpeted at #3

Your options:
Option#1: Enroll in #2, give up waitlist spot at #1

Option#2: Enroll in #3, maintain waitlist spot at #1. If things don't work out at #1, go to #3.

You prefer #1 >> #2 >> #3

Which option would you choose?

ridirkulous

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
St. Louis
Status
Hard to say. Depends on how much you want to go to #1 and where you are on the wait list. Some schools will tell you exactly where you are on their waitlist. How much better is #2 than #3 in your opinion? You might end up regretting not going to #2 when you don't get called up for #1.

AWANDERER

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
sdnstud said:
The Rule:
Once you enroll in X, you must withdraw from all other schools, including onces you're waitlisted at.

The Background:

The Situation:

Your options:

Option#2: Enroll in #3, maintain waitlist spot at #1. If things don't work out at #1, go to #3.

I don't think that you have to give up your waitlist spots--just the spots where you're currently holding acceptances.

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AWANDERER said:
I don't think that you have to give up your waitlist spots--just the spots where you're currently holding acceptances.
Ditto, are these your own made-up rules? You don't have to give up wait list spots in the real world. But, playing your game, I'd take #2.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
sdnstud said:
The Rule:

The Background:

The Situation:

Your options:

You can hold multiple acceptances and multiple waitlists. There are no rules as you have listed.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sdnstud said:
The Rule:
Contrary to what the above posters said, I think this is true. Keep in mind that enrolling is different from holding a position. Once you've enrolled at a school (basically started school), other med schools cannot ask you to join their entering class.

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeh he is talking about actual enrolling, which is why he put the dates on.

So, for me, waitlisted at #1, on hold at #2 and #3 :/ #2 starts BEGINNING of JULY!!!!!!!!!!!! So if I get in there, doesnt give me much time for waitlist on #1!

MNgrrl

15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2003
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
By the time Aug rolls around, I think alot of the movement will already have occurred. Yeah, a few people always get in the day before classes start, but if it hasn't already happened by the time #2 starts, the chances aren't very high. I suppose it depends on how close #2 and #3 are, if the difference between them is negligible, then by all means, hold out hope as long as you want, but just remember there aren't really that many people getting calls the day before classes start, so if #2 is definitely significantly above #3, I'd say go with that, and start getting excited about it, then if #1 does happen to call before you start classes at #2, all the better, right?! Good luck!

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
I think the OP was just talking about hypothetical rules for his hypothetical situation, not actual AMCAS rules.

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
Revolution #9 said:
You dont have to give anything up until May 15, right?
Right. And even after then, you can hold on to your waitlist spots.

To the OP: What matters is not the start of school, but the start of Orientation. Once you attend orientation, you cannot transfer to another school, so your waitlist spots are valid until you attend orientation. According to some Dean at Hopkins, some schools have orientation weeks or months before the actual start of school so that they lock students in and prevent them from staying on waitlists at other schools.

Acherona

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I think it's unlikely that you'll get off the waitlist of #1 by the time August rolls around anyway.

OP
S

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
dopaminophile said:
I think the OP was just talking about hypothetical rules for his hypothetical situation, not actual AMCAS rules.
I wish I was talking about my hypothetical rules!!! Unfortunately, this is a REAL rule that I will likely face in the coming months. Last year, several of my friends were holding wait list spots at UCSD and they had to give up those spots because they started at other institutions (MSSM, SLU, among others). I was talking to my SLU friend two days ago and she told me that UCSD waitlist started rolling AFTER she enrolled in SLU (and two weeks before UCSD started).

I am currently on the waitlist at UCI. Comes May 15th, I have the option to 1) Keep my acceptance at #2, which starts a month BEFORE UCI does or 2) Keep my accceptance at #3, which start one week AFTER UCI does. If I choose the first option, there is a high chance that I will end up where my friends ended up last year.

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
look, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

what this means is, don't give up something good just because you think you may possibly end up with something better. if you pick #3 and don't get into #1, you'll be pissed at yourself for 4 years because you're not at #2. if you pick #2, you'll have to live wondering "what might have been" with #1, but at least there's an element of mystery there. if you end up at #3, there's no mystery involved--you just settled for 2nd best (well, third, technically.....semantics...).

good luck whatever you decide!

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
superdevil said:
look, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

what this means is, don't give up something good just because you think you may possibly end up with something better. if you pick #3 and don't get into #1, you'll be pissed at yourself for 4 years because you're not at #2. if you pick #2, you'll have to live wondering "what might have been" with #1, but at least there's an element of mystery there. if you end up at #3, there's no mystery involved--you just settled for 2nd best (well, third, technically.....semantics...).

good luck whatever you decide!
Oh jeez is that what that means? I've always wondered.

Hold out as long as you can, but do not let your acceptance go unless it's at either Penn State or Wake Forest because I obviously want to go to those schools a lot more than you do.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dopaminophile said:
Actually these are AAMC rules. See number 9 http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

"No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class."

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
The odds of you getting off a waitlist past summer are very very slim. Even if a school starts a month before your #1, it shouldn't matter, as the waitlist will probably not move much if at all after that. You could probably call your #1 if you were in this situation to ask if you're coming off the waitlist because you need to know.

Medikit

Plastic Bag Middle Class
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Neuronix said:
The odds of you getting off a waitlist past summer are very very slim. Even if a school starts a month before your #1, it shouldn't matter, as the waitlist will probably not move much if at all after that. You could probably call your #1 if you were in this situation to ask if you're coming off the waitlist because you need to know.
Nice avatar neuro

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
neuronix is right, admissions people have told me that most waitlist movement occurs within 30 days of may 1st.

javert

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Philly
Status
Medical Student
While rare, waitlists can move late into the summer. While I was interviewing at Hopkins, the Dean of Admissions said that 2 years ago they admitted someone from the waitlist 2 days before the start of med school. This was due to a very strange occurance--a student was in the reserves and was called up for active duty to be sent to Iraq--and they had to select someone from their waitlist who hadn't already matriculated at another school to fill his spot.

So while waitlists can move after May and June, it is very, very rare, and you shouldn't hold out hope.

beep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
it would totally depend on how you feel about #s 1, 2 and 3. if you loooove #1 and are close to indifferent between 2 and3, the strategy is obvious. if you like #1 best but feel pretty good about #2 and not so great about #3, the answer is also obvious.

what are the schools in question?