give up the volunteer of da,,begin my review of nbde1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zsy_lzy

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after 10 days volunteer da working in the clinic,,i asked the boss who is a white guy:"boss,when can i get paid??"he answered:"until you speak fluent english." i am angry,so i left at once.
now i still cant find a job,,i am now review the nbde1 at home as a full time student..i begin with dental anatomy,,i have reviewed dental decks 2001 and 2004, kaplan 2001...
dental anatomy is not very difficult..but i think it is very difficult to conquer anatomy science,biochem,physiology,microbio,pathology..
never give up no matter how hopeless

Members don't see this ad.

zsy_lzy said:
after 10 days volunteer da working in the clinic,,i asked the boss who is a white guy:"boss,when can i get paid??"he answered:"until you speak fluent english." i am angry,so i left at once.
now i still cant find a job,,i am now review the nbde1 at home as a full time student..i begin with dental anatomy,,i have reviewed dental decks 2001 and 2004, kaplan 2001...
dental anatomy is not very difficult..but i think it is very difficult to conquer anatomy science,biochem,physiology,microbio,pathology..
dont worry,be happy and keep studying
keep urself motivated and keep a positive frame of mind :thumbup:

You may try to enroll in ESL (English as a Second Language) in your community. There might be classes that are offered for free. Another option would be to go to a community college where you can take English classes. If you are required to take the TOEFL for the advanced standing program, then these courses will help you improve your score.

Please don't let this experience let you down. Instead, take this incident as a challenge and strong motivation to achieve proficiency of the English language. Cheer up and good luck! You will make it. :) :) :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
mekha said:
i dont think dentistry is all english,does anyone think medicine is all english

no matter what ,if we dont get in 2006, we try for 2007, we try again and again ,til v succeed, all the best keep urself motivated :thumbup:

still we get into the program :thumbup:
:thumbup:
thank you for your encouragement!! i will try my best,,,,..
now i live in this world all by my mum's money...she is very great..
i have to do something.......
never give up....

Nanofill said:
You may try to enroll in ESL (English as a Second Language) in your community. There might be classes that are offered for free. Another option would be to go to a community college where you can take English classes. If you are required to take the TOEFL for the advanced standing program, then these courses will help you improve your score.

Please don't let this experience let you down. Instead, take this incident as a challenge and strong motivation to achieve proficiency of the English language. Cheer up and good luck! You will make it. :) :) :thumbup:
thank you very much for your advice!!! my goal is the advance standing programme of new york state university.. it is not private,,so the fee wont be very high... but i have to take toefl exam... as a result,,your advice is important to me..
i think i made a really big mistake to sign the volunteer sheet...hehe....

Hi,
take 2 subjects at a time. wasting life with out writing is better than writing and getting a good score.
thank you.
zsy_lzy said:

swetha_dentist said:
Hi,
take 2 subjects at a time. wasting life with out writing is better than writing and getting a good score.
thank you.

my english is poor,,can you tell me what do you mean??thanks ...

I quitted my DA job too even though it's paid. It's holidays :) :), no more work, just study . Cheer up!

zsy_lzy said:
thank you very much for your advice!!! my goal is the advance standing programme of new york state university.. it is not private,,so the fee wont be very high... but i have to take toefl exam... as a result,,your advice is important to me..
i think i made a really big mistake to sign the volunteer sheet...hehe....

No, zsy lzy, it was not a big mistake. Even though you did not get paid, you got "local experience" on how dentistry is practiced here in the US. Just think of those 10 days as part of your "schooling" so that you don't feel so bad. Somehow, you have gained something out of that experience, right?

Don't worry, things would be better. Think positive. Count your blessings. You are lucky to have a great mom. Make sure you let her know how much you love and appreciate her. :)

Hi zsy_lzy,

As Nanofill said think about that experience as a positive one. Everything happens in life for a reason. Don't worry and start studying hard to get where you want to get. It is a hard road, no doubt, but it is worth it, that's for sure.

Good luck with everything!!!!!!!!

Nanofill said:
No, zsy lzy, it was not a big mistake. Even though you did not get paid, you got "local experience" on how dentistry is practiced here in the US. Just think of those 10 days as part of your "schooling" so that you don't feel so bad. Somehow, you have gained something out of that experience, right?

Don't worry, things would be better. Think positive. Count your blessings. You are lucky to have a great mom. Make sure you let her know how much you love and appreciate her. :)
i learn how to take bw,,pa,,pan,,,and how to make setup,,how to do the billing...
i am not sad,,but i thing that boss played games with me....hehe...
i will try my best to find another job...i think part time is better..
my mom is great ..i have told her..hehe...
thank you so much for your encouragement.....
best of luck

toothcol said:
Hi zsy_lzy,

As Nanofill said think about that experience as a positive one. Everything happens in life for a reason. Don't worry and start studying hard to get where you want to get. It is a hard road, no doubt, but it is worth it, that's for sure.

Good luck with everything!!!!!!!!
hi,thanks for your encouragement..
i am now positive,hehe...i wont worry about the job,,i am worrying about the nbde1 now...it is hard.... but i have to do it..
best of luck

zsy_lzy said:
i am now positive,hehe...i wont worry about the job,,i am worrying about the nbde1 now...it is hard.... but i have to do it..
best of luck

Hi

Yeah, I agree that Part I is tough, especially when you're aiming for a 90+ score in order to be competitive. So don't worry about your job. Just study your butt off for a few months, do well on it, and then you won't have to worry about it. You can then start looking for a job which I think is a lot less stressful and easier to do. Good luck with your studies :luck:

zsy_lzy said:
best of luck

Thinking positively, is a good way to achieve whatever your heart desire.
anyone in this forum can tell you how long is the road ahead of you. But you already have taking the first big step...

When I was relocated to US, I volunteered as a DA to an well established Pakistani D.M.D., in Virginia for almost 6 months. In those months I did every thing ( receptionist, patient coordinator, insurance billing, x-rays, and lot of temporary crowns, retainers) . at the end I got me an excellent referral letter that landed me, my next PAID DA job. And if you want to improve your English, make your self a library card.. and borrow whatever English tapes/CD they have....believe it or not, most US library have a wealth resource in Language learning materials for free

Good luck zsy_lzy , and God bless

HIM0098 said:
Thinking positively, is a good way to achieve whatever your heart desire.
anyone in this forum can tell you how long is the road ahead of you. But you already have taking the first big step...

When I was relocated to US, I volunteered as a DA to an well established Pakistani D.M.D., in Virginia for almost 6 months. In those months I did every thing ( receptionist, patient coordinator, insurance billing, x-rays, and lot of temporary crowns, retainers) . at the end I got me an excellent referral letter that landed me, my next PAID DA job. And if you want to improve your English, make your self a library card.. and borrow whatever English tapes/CD they have....believe it or not, most US library have a wealth resource in Language learning materials for free

Good luck zsy_lzy , and God bless
thank you!!!!!

zsy_lzy said:
thank you,,i wont give up...why arent you in dental school now???
Because...hmmm,not the right time yet :rolleyes: