Given a ZERO for make-up exam. Am I rightfully angry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krispy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TLDR: made a zero on a test. Decided based on the most recent commentary that I received, it's probably not a good idea to get advice from internet strangers.

Au revoir.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In medical school, you have to be to accomplish certain technical tasks, one of which is being responsible.

There's nothing in your post except a dump truck full of excuses.

If you're too sick to take an exam or a makeup at my school, you contact a dean and you get an excused absence.

The bolded below says it all. You're an adult.

I'm going to give you a warning. I'm sorry that you have all these illnesses and as my Jewish friends say, tsuris, , and your school is supposed to accommodate you to a degree. But if you act like this in your clinical years, you WILL fail rotations.

Okay, so, I have a documented history of illness and I even talk about said illnesses in my personal statement. Long story short: a few years ago I had an adrenalectomy along with removal of a paraganglioma. I have also been diagnosed with a chronic, congenital disorder.

(Which, if you look at my past posts, I talk & whine about)

Both of these things cause me to miss class sometimes, which is whatever. It is what it is.

A few weeks ago, out of the blue, I developed a nasty staph infection on my leg. It evolved into a case of cellulitis and I felt like poop. Our class had an exam a few days after I developed the infection, but this kicked me back for a few days. I made up the exam a few days after getting better. I failed the exam because, frankly, I still felt like hell during the test. I ran out of time.

FAST FORWARD: I haven't missed ANY other exams (only an MS1 in semester one, so that's really not that big of an accomplishment), but woke up at 5 am morning of my most recent exam, had a migraine, can't see so good with a migraine, and asked if I could possibly come in the next day. But, over the past few days, I've realized that something (besides my sleep schedule) could be whack, since I haven't felt this tired since I had mono. I was supposed to retake the test today (which YES! I did study for...on Tuesday and Wednesday to prepare). I asked the medical education dept. to please please let me take it Monday, because besides the migraine, I overall was feeling abnormally unwell and wanted to go to the doctor. I also told them today, via email, about my adrenalectomy and how I get tired from it. I also have Ehlers-Danlos (WOOH, genetic lottery!), but I spared them that tid-bit of info today.

Anyways - The answer was no, which is fine. Initially I was supposed to come in today at 3, but admin said I can come anytime up til 530. Cool.

Well, I email the admin letting them know I'm on my way around 4:45. I sent that too soon, since I had to put my dog in her crate and then my roommate came home which delayed my departure.

ANYWAYS...I am driving, feeling like I have taken Quaaludes or something, and I end up missing my turn for the school and getting temporarily lost. When I arrived, I realized I had forgotten my computer, which we take our exams on. I arrived at probably 5:10. I go in, and say, arh I am so sorry, I'm out of it, I forgot my computer, can I take this as a written exam or run home really fast and get it? They just kind of stared at me and asked me if I had received their last email.

Which informed me that, apparently, because I was 20 minutes later than what I had implied via email, I was now not allowed to take the test and received a 0. Also, I was in the wrong for reading "come take the exam up until 5:30" as, come take the exam anytime between now and 5:30. Apparently, that verbiage meant I was supposed to be DONE with the exam by 5:30. Despite all of this, yep, I felt like crap, but I showed up, according to what I thought the directions were. But...suddenly, I receive a 0 for the test? It's worth 30% of our grade and I will surely fail the class because of this.

I feel pretty crappy about the entire situation, as in, I see that there could be better ways of navigating this (on my end), but despite looking through the college handbook and the syllabus, there is nothing that references make-up exam protocol and being awarded a zero for...I'm not sure what. Not arriving on time, when I thought I did?

Argggh. Please tell me that I'm being crazy or the administration is being whack, because I find the way that this was handled so inappropriate.

TLDR: I have sicknesses in medical school. Sometimes I miss days of class that have exams or dont have exams. I always study for my exams. I misunderstood exam makeup directions and got a 0 for an exam worth 30% of our grade. I was informed via email of my test grade annnnnd am supposed to meet with the admin higher-ups on Monday....

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
During clinical rotations at my hospital, one of the med students developed high fever and became septic, and she was still forced to work! Another student developed cancer and she was forced to work too! It's just life.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, wait till intern year. That which does not kill you makes you a stronger resident.

The game is the game. I prefer playing when healthy. If I suit up in my diarrhea soaked shorts, and don't tell anyone about my ailments, whose fault is it when I get owned.

Coming to an anonymous internet forum seeking affirmation of your own poor choices is not a good idea.

We like to give realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.

TLDR: made a zero on a test. Decided based on the most recent commentary that I received, it's probably not a good idea to get advice from internet strangers.

Au revoir.

Reactions: 3 users
Rescheduling your exam due to medical problems is understandable, although you're super lucky they took your word for it and didn't require medical records, a doctor's note for that day, etc.

Forgetting your laptop or any other equipment for an exam would have left you SOL at my school, too, even if you hadn't misread the email and had come at the right time. Sorry, OP, your anger's not really righteous for this one.

Thanks @Goro for quoting this and keeping it for posterity/clarity.

During clinical rotations at my hospital, one of the med students developed high fever and became septic, and she was still forced to work! Another student developed cancer and she was forced to work too! It's just life.

Might want to take that first case up with adminstration, and the second if she's going thru chemo.

Reactions: 1 user
I have honestly never heard as many excuses in one post as when I read the OP. Cheeky too, delaying the exam twice and then showing up late on the day he/she had committed to because they were too busy putting their dog away/chatting with roommate to remember the computer with which they will take the exam?!

OP are you too dense to understand that a rulebook doesn't excuse grossly irresponsible and unprofessional behavior? Granted, I am not privy to your PMH but density is a physics concept not a DSM V diagnosis

Your school was extremely accommodating and you took full advantage. Then you got careless and acted ridiculously. Why do you think it's the admin's job to sit around waiting for you and proctoring your test in the evening? Why would you take your sweet time to get there, stopping to chat with your roommate? You got what you deserved and now you're at their mercy. You should be apologetic, tell them it'll never happen again and hope they have mercy on you. Your attitude in this thread is going to get you kicked out or suspended.

Reactions: 4 users
Might want to take that first case up with adminstration, and the second if she's going thru chemo.

Yea... I think if someone was septic, that's not a good time to be working.
Cancer... hmm... depends. Plenty of people work while being treated for cancer. Depends on type, treatment plan, etc etc etc...

Reactions: 1 user
Yea... I think if someone was septic, that's not a good time to be working.
Cancer... hmm... depends. Plenty of people work while being treated for cancer. Depends on type, treatment plan, etc etc etc...

That's what I was thinking. When my mother in law was going thru chemo, she could barely do anything for a week afterwards, then lymphadema comes and interferes even more. Regardless, I think cancer warrants a leave of absence. Septicaemia is no joke, so I have no clue how they made that poor girl work and got away with it.

That's what I was thinking. When my mother in law was going thru chemo, she could barely do anything for a week afterwards, then lymphadema comes and interferes even more. Regardless, I think cancer warrants a leave of absence. Septicaemia is no joke, so I have no clue how they made that poor girl work and got away with it.

Yeah, I would think that the cancer warrants a leave of absence also (depending on the severity) until the cancer treatments are more manageable. From what I remember of others speaking about "sick days," the reason why the students keep going to rotations in medical school is for the fear it maybe reflected on their eval, then affecting their grade.

Last edited:
If I was on staff at the med school I would be done with you. Already had to reschedule 2 exams and then miss one? You're mildly over a month in and full of excuses.
The fact they let you reschedule for a migraine blows my mind

I was forced not to work as a resident due to a MVA and concussion/postconcussive symptoms but I returned a month later ready to roll.

Reactions: 2 users