Giving Dentistry a Second Shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentT55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to use this site just to browse at different topics but never reply to threads. I decided to join so I'd like to share my story and get some feedback and to possibly connect with others who have gone through the same path.

I somehow someway found myself in dental school a couple years ago. As I see a lot of members posting their exceptionally high DAT scores worried whether they'll get in or not, it makes me wonder how I ever got in. I received a bachelor's degree in Public Health, took all my pre-req's there and ended up with a 3.2gpa but my sciences weren't great at all (3.0). I took the DATs twice, did horribly on the 1st and did ok on the 2nd (21). I filled out my application and fortunately got an interview and acceptance from a certain school (and yes it's a school in the US lol). I felt accomplished but really apprehensive cause I was going through a lot of issues that I tried solving before school started but they were still there. I ended up failing anatomy the first semester and had to take a leave of absence in the Spring so I could start as a freshman again the following Fall. I tried solving my issues (personal and family) and as a result of not wanting to upset my family and tell them I'm not ready, I started school again and wound up failing even worse than before cause I never went to class and studied (it was the same material from the previous year, shows you how bad of a situation it was). I had serious problems. I failed out of school and wasn't allowed another try. I was terrified thinking I blew my chance and life was over. I've been recuperating this past year to get my head cleared of all the negative things I put myself through. I started working in retail, and for someone who wanted to be an accomplished dentist, that's not the path I would like to pursue. I finally feel like my normal sense and if there was anything I wished for, it would be to go back in time and do it with the clearheaded brain I have now So my question/feedback to all of you is: what do I do next? Is it possible? I can't think of any other profession I'd like to be in. I didn't fail out of school because I didn't like it. I lost passion in everything. Now all I have is my pre-req's and my DAT scores and I'm sure my recommendation letters have expired. I know I need to retake my DATs if I have any bit of chance to re-apply. Do you all think I should or will need to retake all the pre-req's? I know it won't hurt, but I feel like I'm losing time. I'm sick of living with my parents and not having a game plan set. It's going to be a long road, but I still believe.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be posing this question to dental schools rather than predents. The more appropriate title should have been "will ds give me a second shot?".

Hey thanks for the feedback. Apparently, I'm not the only one who's been in this position. I was contacted by another member who described his path and what he's going to do. At first I thought I'd retake the DATs and do exceptionally well on them, but that's not the case considering I've been working in retail the past year. So now I'll have to pursue a Master's degree, excel, find a dentist I can shadow, retake the DATs, and try again. It sucks cause it's going to take a long time but what took 2 years to get screwed up will have to take 2 years to put back in place. I won't be the only person past 30yo looking to pursue this career..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the feedback. Apparently, I'm not the only one who's been in this position. I was contacted by another member who described his path and what he's going to do. At first I thought I'd retake the DATs and do exceptionally well on them, but that's not the case considering I've been working in retail the past year. So now I'll have to pursue a Master's degree, excel, find a dentist I can shadow, retake the DATs, and try again. It sucks cause it's going to take a long time but what took 2 years to get screwed up will have to take 2 years to put back in place. I won't be the only person past 30yo looking to pursue this career..

Don't let age freak you out. There are lots of non-traditional students that later on pursue a career in dentistry.

I used to use this site just to browse at different topics but never reply to threads. I decided to join so I'd like to share my story and get some feedback and to possibly connect with others who have gone through the same path.

I somehow someway found myself in dental school a couple years ago. As I see a lot of members posting their exceptionally high DAT scores worried whether they'll get in or not, it makes me wonder how I ever got in. I received a bachelor's degree in Public Health, took all my pre-req's there and ended up with a 3.2gpa but my sciences weren't great at all (3.0). I took the DATs twice, did horribly on the 1st and did ok on the 2nd (21). I filled out my application and fortunately got an interview and acceptance from a certain school (and yes it's a school in the US lol). I felt accomplished but really apprehensive cause I was going through a lot of issues that I tried solving before school started but they were still there. I ended up failing anatomy the first semester and had to take a leave of absence in the Spring so I could start as a freshman again the following Fall. I tried solving my issues (personal and family) and as a result of not wanting to upset my family and tell them I'm not ready, I started school again and wound up failing even worse than before cause I never went to class and studied (it was the same material from the previous year, shows you how bad of a situation it was). I had serious problems. I failed out of school and wasn't allowed another try. I was terrified thinking I blew my chance and life was over. I've been recuperating this past year to get my head cleared of all the negative things I put myself through. I started working in retail, and for someone who wanted to be an accomplished dentist, that's not the path I would like to pursue. I finally feel like my normal sense and if there was anything I wished for, it would be to go back in time and do it with the clearheaded brain I have now So my question/feedback to all of you is: what do I do next? Is it possible? I can't think of any other profession I'd like to be in. I didn't fail out of school because I didn't like it. I lost passion in everything. Now all I have is my pre-req's and my DAT scores and I'm sure my recommendation letters have expired. I know I need to retake my DATs if I have any bit of chance to re-apply. Do you all think I should or will need to retake all the pre-req's? I know it won't hurt, but I feel like I'm losing time. I'm sick of living with my parents and not having a game plan set. It's going to be a long road, but I still believe.

this is going to sound harsh.... but you failed out twice, its time to move on and give other pre-dents a opportunity to enter the profession.

A person whom fail'd 1 year of dental school should not be doing this: "wound up failing even worse than before cause I never went to class and studied"

Move on to another career pal... all the best

this is going to sound harsh.... but you failed out twice, its time to move on and give other pre-dents a opportunity to enter the profession.

A person whom fail'd 1 year of dental school should not be doing this: "wound up failing even worse than before cause I never went to class and studied"

Move on to another career pal... all the best

Took the words out of my mouth. This is definitely the advice to take OP. It's definitely up to you to pursue your dream, but there's a point where it's just too much time invested with little hope for any return. Sometimes the harshest words are the best.

Usually the people who enter dental school past in the late 20s or early 30s have already had a career for a few years and decided to switch to dentistry. Their academic history, however, is most likely highly competitive to begin with.

you need to show you can actually stick to something for a long time, and it doesn't seem like you can prove that in any way.

I'm not saying you can't go back to dental school, but it seems like you need to really dedicate yourself to one thing and stick to it. Show the adcoms that you actually can be dedicated to something and work for it.

Right now, it just seems like you were in dentistry, didn't like it so left. And then you went to retail, didn't like it so left to do something else.

I won't be the only person past 30yo looking to pursue this career..

right, but how many of those thirty-somethings made it into, then subsequently bombed out of, dental school? you're not some 30+ year old career changer fresh into the dental path.

i don't care if you aren't honest with us, we're just words on a screen, but it would be wise to be honest with yourself.

Your situation seems very unique so I doubt anyone here could give you a for sure "yeah I did it, it's possible" answer. But I'm guessing that saying it's going to be an "uphill battle" would be an understatement. Even if you get a good DAT score now and raise your GPA with a masters or whatever, you're still going up against hundreds of kids fresh out of college with good GPAs, good DAT scores, and who don't already have two failed attempts at dental school on their records. My guess is that it would take a lot for a school to take on that risk. From looking at admissions stats, NO schools are hurting for applicants currently.

Why not consider another dental-related career, but not an actual dentist? Hygienists make pretty good money, do a LOT of hands-on work, and you may be able to get into a program right away. Or maybe you could get a job working in a lab making implants and dentures. Or maybe this will only motivate you to try harder and pursue dental school after all. Either way, good luck.