Giving it all up--Who has been there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palmetto914

StrangerDanger
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been quietly observing these forums for a while now, and I have found some very helpful information. Keep up the good work!

This is my first post, and I'm sure it won't be a short one. I'm seeking support, advice, or just some words from anyone that is going or has gone through a similar situation...

here goes...

I'm 25, and I graduated Cum Laude back in 2005 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. My school was unique in that it was quarter-based, highly specialized, graded on a 100-point scale, required a thesis for graduation, and rotated between academic and co-op quarters. I was taking 20 credit hours by my sophomore year, and these classes weren't exactly cakewalks (Dynamic systems, Thermodynamics, all sorts of crazy math, all sorts of Physics, etc.) Oddly enough, the one thing it didn't focus much on was Chemistry (two Chem classes total).

I have over 4 years now with a very large international company (started while in college as a co-op), and I am currently in a fast-track management program that has me working for 2-years in Europe (Austria at the moment). I've learned German, and I am well-connected within the company. Needless to say, I'm on the right track for a successful career.

There's just one problem: I hate it. Corporate life is an absolute bore, terribly depressing, and I am getting out. Over the past year I have come to learn a lot about what I want, and I am set on becoming a dentist.

If I just quit, my company is going to make me pay them a lot of money (for relocating me over here), as well as make me pay my own way back to the US. I'd be giving up gettting paid in euro, too. Basically, I'd be broke. I don't care. My family, on the other hand, thinks I'm crazy for "throwing this all away." I guess I sometimes do, too.

If I've done my research correctly, I still have to take at least 4 biology courses, another 2 Chemistry courses (unless the whole quarter issue comes into play, which means I'll probably need 4 Chem classes), some other bio/chem electives, job shadowing and volunteer hours. The soonest I can start taking those prereq's is this fall semester, and judging by the amount of prereq's I'll need, we're talking at least two semesters to get them all. The soonest I'd be able to apply to dental school is June of 2009, which means I wouldn't be starting dental school (assuming I got in) until mid-late 2010, correct?

I've already got a good $50,000 in student debt from my BSME, and I'd have to take out probably another $10,000-$15,000 to cover my prereq's. I'd be going from a nice apartment, health benefits, 401k, cushy paycheck, and supporting myself, to living with my Mom, driving a beater, and basically having no income--and that's just the two years before I can even start dental school!

I do, however, have great connections in the dental industry: two very close family friends are dentists, and another owns a business making dental prosthetics, all of which have said they'd help me out. I've already been through a rigorous curriculum, and I've never failed at anything I've set out to do. But, MAN, that's going to be a very rough two years before I can even start dental school!

So tell me, is there anyone out there that's been through something like this? I've made up my mind, regardless, but I was just wondering if anyone would care to share their thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Palmetto, funny how you read some of these threads and see there are other people out there in the same situation. I am 33 and was Title insurance agent in Florida until the real estate market turned south. I've had to take a low paying job to make ends meet. I also have my mind dead set on becoming a Dentist/Ortho. I however have even more science classes than you to take so don't feel bad. I am giving up a job I enjoy to make this trek possible. The one good thing going for me is my wife is a Chiropractor so I won't need to work while in school, but it will still be difficult because we have 3 kids. (never a quiet moment) My advise to you would be to weigh your options about how much you would have to pay your employer back for moving expenses. Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. If you truly hate your job then I would say make the change now because the hatred will only get worse by the day. In 5-6 years you could be doing something you absolutely love and wondering why you hadn't done this much sooner. Good luck to you.

Wow....that is almost my exact story. I graduated Summa Cum Laude in Chemical Engineering in 2005. I co-oped and worked at a large international Manufacturing company. I made great money and bought a house and all that but got depressed because I hated the job because I felt like I had little human interaction and got no satisfaction from my work. I was praised for my work, but I was bored and felt meaningless. I sold my house and quit and returned to college to take some of the prereqs. I was lucky on my relocation because my Supervisor didn't make me pay them the money because I technically signed the agreement under duress since I never saw it until my first day of work and they knew I had already purchased a home so I pretty much had no choice. I just got accepted to dental school this year on my third attempt though. But it was all worth it. Just be sure you really prepare for the DAT and apply to multiple schools. I made the mistake of assuming I would easily get into my in state school which cost me a couple years. Good luck. I've been there, and I understand what you are going through and why. It will seem overwhelming when you change everything, but you will be glad you did what your heart led you to do.

Hey all,

I've been quietly observing these forums for a while now, and I have found some very helpful information. Keep up the good work!

This is my first post, and I'm sure it won't be a short one. I'm seeking support, advice, or just some words from anyone that is going or has gone through a similar situation...

here goes...

I'm 25, and I graduated Cum Laude back in 2005 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. My school was unique in that it was quarter-based, highly specialized, graded on a 100-point scale, required a thesis for graduation, and rotated between academic and co-op quarters. I was taking 20 credit hours by my sophomore year, and these classes weren't exactly cakewalks (Dynamic systems, Thermodynamics, all sorts of crazy math, all sorts of Physics, etc.) Oddly enough, the one thing it didn't focus much on was Chemistry (two Chem classes total).

I have over 4 years now with a very large international company (started while in college as a co-op), and I am currently in a fast-track management program that has me working for 2-years in Europe (Austria at the moment). I've learned German, and I am well-connected within the company. Needless to say, I'm on the right track for a successful career.

There's just one problem: I hate it. Corporate life is an absolute bore, terribly depressing, and I am getting out. Over the past year I have come to learn a lot about what I want, and I am set on becoming a dentist.

If I just quit, my company is going to make me pay them a lot of money (for relocating me over here), as well as make me pay my own way back to the US. I'd be giving up gettting paid in euro, too. Basically, I'd be broke. I don't care. My family, on the other hand, thinks I'm crazy for "throwing this all away." I guess I sometimes do, too.

If I've done my research correctly, I still have to take at least 4 biology courses, another 2 Chemistry courses (unless the whole quarter issue comes into play, which means I'll probably need 4 Chem classes), some other bio/chem electives, job shadowing and volunteer hours. The soonest I can start taking those prereq's is this fall semester, and judging by the amount of prereq's I'll need, we're talking at least two semesters to get them all. The soonest I'd be able to apply to dental school is June of 2009, which means I wouldn't be starting dental school (assuming I got in) until mid-late 2010, correct?

I've already got a good $50,000 in student debt from my BSME, and I'd have to take out probably another $10,000-$15,000 to cover my prereq's. I'd be going from a nice apartment, health benefits, 401k, cushy paycheck, and supporting myself, to living with my Mom, driving a beater, and basically having no income--and that's just the two years before I can even start dental school!

I do, however, have great connections in the dental industry: two very close family friends are dentists, and another owns a business making dental prosthetics, all of which have said they'd help me out. I've already been through a rigorous curriculum, and I've never failed at anything I've set out to do. But, MAN, that's going to be a very rough two years before I can even start dental school!

So tell me, is there anyone out there that's been through something like this? I've made up my mind, regardless, but I was just wondering if anyone would care to share their thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! You guys/girls rock! I changed my major 3 times, served a 2-year church mission, and finished my BS in 7 years. I have a little understanding of the dilemma you're going through and would like to agree with the above poster that it is quite worth the whole challenge when you finally get accepted. I think you're doing the right thing if you hate your job.

However, I am going to warn you on the dangers of saying it'll take you 1 year to get into D-school. You need to get on the ball w/ preparing for the DAT, writing/revising your personal statement, getting all the extra-curricular business (shadowing hours, research if possible, volunteer hours) started and so forth.

Now, you don't have to do that stuff but if you are determined to get in Fall of 2010 I would make sure to get your application all nice and tidy so your first time applying is your last. Also, apply to a bunch of schools please. If you really want to get in don't limit yourself to a handful of schools. It costs a lot but its worth it if you don't have the absolutely best application. Well, graduating cum laude, having awesome work experience and an obvious desire for dentistry may give you a sweet application.

Really, you sound like a good person. I hope you go through with your hearts desire. Don't let the money and everything stop you. I'm way happy that I went through with my decision to give up 4 years of schooling (2 classes from a computer science degree!!!!!) and go back for dentistry. You will too.

i agree with the others that you should follow your dream...

however, im sorry for being a little negative, are you sure you can finish your pre-reqs in 1 year? since you plan to apply this june you will need to finish your classes by next fall (about 1.5 years).

similiar to what stdmufin27. you will also need LORs from at least 2 science professors?

you said you need to take bio and ochem...yet you are planning to take the DAT soon? usually people complete their gchem, ochem, and general bio classes before they take the DAT. nevertheless, i think you can still do well on the DAT if you really put time into studying.

make sure to stay on top of things.

may 15th is coming soon!

best,
joey

Thanks everyone for taking the time to contribute. It's always good to hear from people that have been there.

As for the concerns regarding getting everything finished in time, yes, I know it's definitely not going to be easy; I was just mentioning that being ready to apply by 2009 is the best-case scenario. I definitely appreciate the warnings, however, I'm confident I can handle it.

The schedule required to get those prereq's won't be any worse than the type of acedemic schedule I went through as an undergrad. Since I'll be taking these classes in my hometown, I already know quite a few of the professors, which means LOR's won't be a problem (unless, of course, I fail all of those classes). Besides, I know this is what I want to do, so I might as well start ASAP.

One of the two dentists I know is very involved/connected with the dental school in my state. He has already told me that my undergrad GPA is competitve (I'm not sure how the conversion goes from the 100-point scale, but I think it works out to around a 3.6 or 3.7), and my BSME will not only help me with sections on the DAT, but also looks good to dental schools. He said my life experiences, alone, will make for a great application, so long as I get competitve grades and DAT scores. He also said my artistic ability (drawing and sculpting...I had scholarships to art schools, but went into engineering instead), and my playing guitar all show promise in the manual dexterity area. Now, by absolutely no means am I saying he can pull strings and get me in; I'm just saying he would know what makes a competitve applicant.

All of that aside, I have to stay confident and know that I will do it--I'm just giving up too much to let myself slack off and not succeed the first time. If I work my butt off, spank the DAT and my prereq's, and still don't get in, well, then that's a different story. I've got a lot of obstacles to get around, and none of them are exactly easy. The next one is figuring out how to get back into the US without having to pay the company $7000...

Again, thanks for the input, everyone. You've been a big help!

I guess I'm late on replying but better late than never.

My story is quite similar.... I am 24 and graduated in Fall 2006. I've been working since. I am getting paid very well here with plenty of benefits. Now, I am about to leave my job next month and start classes in May. I have to take all of the sciences courses. My plan is to enter in Fall 2010. I believe it can be done. For the summer I am taking CHM I & II and PHY I & II with all the labs. I am very determined and I know I can make the grades and the deadline. My only worry is the being admitted, more like the interview.

With your background I believe you will do well... I always say keep reaching. Remember your reach should exceed your grasp!!