Giving up for this application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateva07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yea I give up. I got no interviews. Anyone else in the same boat?

I dont know what to do. Do I work on extracurriculars or what??? Any suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

mcat: vr 10, bs 8, ps 8. = 26O

gpa: 3.64 in engineering

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea thats the only thing that I think is holding me back. So definately have to retake that.

Dont give up until:

1. you receive a rejection

2. It is already August.

There is still a chance for you, but if not just retake mcat to at least a 28 and you should get in somewhere.:luck:

Definitely don't give up. It took me three cycles (with MCAT 30) to finally get accepted...I just kept adding more experience.

Yea I give up. I got no interviews. Anyone else in the same boat?

I dont know what to do. Do I work on extracurriculars or what??? Any suggestions

you will need to retake that MCAT. there is no doubt that is what is holding you back. 8's in both science sections pretty much scream out that you wouldnt be able to pass step 1. verbal is good so dont even worry about that. Just study for the sciences (easier to improve than verbal). I am guessing it is a critital reading problem because you did well in the verbal. I would assume it is just a lack of science knowledge (at least knowledge needed for the MCAT). GPA is good. What is your home state? if you are in OH you would only need around a 28 to get in, if you are in Cali, you will need 30+ :luck: :luck:

ditto...also you have a great gpa...even better so b/c your engineering...why the 8 on the PS section? thats kinda a red flag i would think.

mcat: vr 10, bs 8, ps 8. = 26O

gpa: 3.64 in engineering

Did you have any extraordinary circumstances when you took the MCAT? Most engineers with your GPA tend to do really well in the PS section. I think based on your GPA you could see some significant improvement with a retake

but I am a science major...Ive taken bio classes and have minors in chem and physics. So I'm not sure if its a lack of knowledge.

Dont give up until:

1. you receive a rejection

2. It is already August.

True, but submit that AMCAS in June regardless. If you wait to August to reapply, you'll be at the back of the pile. Apply early and even with a MCAT retake, you'll be a couple of weeks ahead.

retake the MCAT. i suggest using examkrackers books. take tons of practice exams under test situations.

also, add to ur research and clinical experiences. try to publish a few papers. shadow a doctor or two.

don't give up yet. u can always reapply.

So lets say I want to take the mcat in july or august....should I mention that I plan to take the mcat then or just submit amcas in june with my old scores from last august and when my scores come in the schools will get them.

Also when do schools stop giving out interviews.....bc I have zilch so far. Should I pretty much throw in the towel for this application cycle.

So lets say I want to take the mcat in july or august....should I mention that I plan to take the mcat then or just submit amcas in june with my old scores from last august and when my scores come in the schools will get them.

You should mention you're going to retake it -- since you already have a set of scores, someone may give you an interview early even with a sub-par number, and the rest will start looking at your application if your scores go up. What takes the most time is AMCAS processing, so definitely do that as soon as you can in the next cycle. Let schools know on the AMCAS about your upcoming retake, or they might junk your app because they don't like your MCAT.

As for schools, Drexel, NYMC and a few others (Wayne? RF?) are known for interviewing in late April. It's still possible to get an invite, although it's not something to count on. If you have any state schools left, it's a good time to call about the status of your application.

Also, if you have any realistic dream schools, it's worth calling them over the summer to see if anyone will tell you why they rejected you. Some schools do this, some don't. But don't call asking until the summer, because they're way too busy to talk to you right now.

Thanks :) for all the responses. Ive been kinda down lately even though I know its not the end of the world, but its just frustrating. All of your responses have been really encouraging so once again thnx.

You should mention you're going to retake it -- since you already have a set of scores, someone may give you an interview early even with a sub-par number, and the rest will start looking at your application if your scores go up.
Actually, on last year's AMCAS, there was a check box asking if you were going to take the August exam. If you checked it, medical schools would not evaluate your app until the results came back. With the multiple test dates, I'm sure it will be reworded, but probably work the same.

OP- Apply as early as you can and check that box indicating a retake of the MCAT. You'll still get plenty of secondaries as a lot of schools (a majority, maybe?) do not screen.

I would also encourage you to try again, as I believe most schools have stopped giving out interviews at this point. If I were you I would definitely retake the MCAT & try as much as possible to be involved in the medical field in your year off. This cycle was my second time around and I have similar stats to you (my GPA is higher and MCAT was one point higher) and even after adding the experience that schools told me I needed the first time around, I only got one allopathic interview, which ended in a rejection. However, I did get multiple interview invites and acceptances from osteopathic schools, and this fall I'm going to be matriculating at Western. I have found osteopathic schools to be a lot friendlier to people who have taken some time off (as I did). Hope this helps, and best of luck!