Giving up on pre-med...what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leti_confetti

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Thanks for taking the time to hear me out. Sorry also if this is posted in the wrong place but I made an account here because I have absolutely no idea what to do with my life. I screwed up and I just feel like I have no direction and no one really to turn to for advice so I'll just spill my life story here for the internet I guess.

I started off undergrad at a UC pursuing pre-med because honestly that was what my parents wanted and I really didn't know what else to do. I enjoyed biology in HS so I figured...why not (big mistake #1 of many).

I volunteered with pre-med clubs (ended up as president as well) and took those rigorous biology courses pretty much going through the motions of college under the falsehood that the MD/DO life was for me. The problem was that I was barely making the cut in my biology courses with mostly B's and C's and the occasional A's in labs. At my institution, you are absolutely not allowed to retake anything below a C which means my mediocre grades could not be fixed. At some point I even retook OCHEM C 3 times before passing (disgusting I know). I think my biggest grade weighing me down though is a D in Calc 2 (even after a retake...).
The only thing keeping my GPA afloat honestly was my minor in Public Health which I managed to maintain all A's (and 1 B- with a not so great professor).

I graduated last spring with a cGPA of barely a 3.0. My pre-reqs are pretty much garbage because I didn't know how to study well and I was too afraid to admit I needed help. I finally decided to get my act together the last summer session but that really is not enough and can't excuse how poorly I did in undergrad. I decided to take a gap-year and figure out what to do. I knew as soon as I had graduated though that I regretted all my time as a biology major. I wished I had pursued something else like computer science or business.

When I started my gap year, I was still considering DO school. I figured I was too far in to back out now and waste all that time and money. Despite moving back home, I commuted back to my uni twice a week to volunteer at a lab with the medical school doing some lab work though my PI was kind enough to publish me just this past month. I was also volunteering at a local hospital through a clinical volunteer program however I finished that just this past month as well. Now its almost been a year since I graduated and I feel like I've pretty much accomplished nothing. I've been searching for an entry-level job with a BS in bio as well but after searching I realized just how lackluster a BS in bio is...especially when I live in a small city. And after thinking things through and truly visualizing myself in medical school, I've realized I don't have what it takes or the passion to become a doctor. But now I am thousands of dollars in debt with no plan. Perfect.

Now I'm at a standstill. Probably going through some minor depression just wallowing at home doing nothing. (A big factor I should also add in not moving out yet is that I have a younger sibling at home with medical disabilities which my parents are almost guilt tripping me into not moving out. Not to mention some issues between my parents and a potential divorce in the future but that's a side note I guess.) My parents are also still pushing me to become a doctor even though I absolutely know in my heart and soul I don't want to pursue that path. It just frustrates me that they don't understand that just applying and giving it a try at my current state is going to be a big waste.

I am now considering other paths like PA school or nursing but I am still worried that my low undergrad GPA will come to haunt me. Can I retake courses at a CC and still be considered for these other programs? And I considered an MPH since the only courses I really excelled in are PH courses but are the job prospects worth it? I just feel so lost and my self-esteem is at an all time low. I know that once I figure out what I want to do, I will pursue it wholeheartedly but the question is what....how do I find that passion again?

Does anyone have any advice or been in a similar situation? :( Sorry if this was a long read....I guess it also helped me to just get that all out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Jobs: I spent a year unemployed after graduation in 16. This wasn't because a BS Bio is unemployable but because I had been searching for jobs completely wrong. I get like 5 calls from recruiters a week now and my resume hasn't changed much since graduation. Try hosting your resume on Monster and Indeed where employers can see it, rather than sending resumes. You won't break $20/hr in all likelyhood, but 1 money > no money.

Seems like you're having a **** time. Sorry m80, hope things start looking up

Reactions: 1 users
I think PA might be out of reach too...just because there's so few programs and a lot of applicants. The average gpa was a 3.5.

Maybe nursing? Go to a community college and go ask the coordinator of their nursing program what your chances are. I know a lot of places like to hire BSN, but a lot of nurses get hired right out of community college as RNs. They pass the NCLEX become RNs and then get their BSN online on their own time while they make money.

Just speaking from what I researched when I was weighing my options.

But honestly, I think you should do some soul-searching because you don't really seem thrilled with either option. Maybe something with an MPH?

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re a college graduate who needs a job!

You have come to terms with not wanting medicine. I think that is clear.

What *do* you want?

Regardless, you should be working like mad to knock out your student loans in the meantime.

Hey, I think that you would do well in nursing- that's only if you're willing to put in the effort it'll take, though! This is anecdotal, so take this with a grain of salt as it'll depend on your location and opportunities available to you, but someone I know IRL similarly had lackluster grades in the middle of their college career. They studied nursing for a while, then hit a roadblock in terms of their motivation to continue onwards, switched majors, and then recently went back to nursing. Despite the rocky start, they made an academic comeback recently, first starting with transferring to a community college from their 4-year university, doing well at CC, then transferring to a different 4-year university. They're taking a while to finish, but the last time I heard, they do plan on finishing sometime soon (maybe a year or two?). At that particular program, the least they'll get for passing is becoming an RN, and the most if they do extra well is becoming an RN with a BSN. As side-experience, they did CNA/ GNA.

Nursing definitely is open to non-traditional students, even those who didn't have successful grades to begin with, so if you're willing to go back to school and work towards becoming an RN, then I say go for it!

Alternatively, you can look into entry research jobs or clinical assistant jobs that give you on-site training so you can start paying off loans. There's a lot you can do in science and medicine that isn't being a doctor, if that's not your ultimate wish in life.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! Thanks for taking the time to hear me out. Sorry also if this is posted in the wrong place but I made an account here because I have absolutely no idea what to do with my life. I screwed up and I just feel like I have no direction and no one really to turn to for advice so I'll just spill my life story here for the internet I guess.

I started off undergrad at a UC pursuing pre-med because honestly that was what my parents wanted and I really didn't know what else to do. I enjoyed biology in HS so I figured...why not (big mistake #1 of many).

I volunteered with pre-med clubs (ended up as president as well) and took those rigorous biology courses pretty much going through the motions of college under the falsehood that the MD/DO life was for me. The problem was that I was barely making the cut in my biology courses with mostly B's and C's and the occasional A's in labs. At my institution, you are absolutely not allowed to retake anything below a C which means my mediocre grades could not be fixed. At some point I even retook OCHEM C 3 times before passing (disgusting I know). I think my biggest grade weighing me down though is a D in Calc 2 (even after a retake...).
The only thing keeping my GPA afloat honestly was my minor in Public Health which I managed to maintain all A's (and 1 B- with a not so great professor).

I graduated last spring with a cGPA of barely a 3.0. My pre-reqs are pretty much garbage because I didn't know how to study well and I was too afraid to admit I needed help. I finally decided to get my act together the last summer session but that really is not enough and can't excuse how poorly I did in undergrad. I decided to take a gap-year and figure out what to do. I knew as soon as I had graduated though that I regretted all my time as a biology major. I wished I had pursued something else like computer science or business.

When I started my gap year, I was still considering DO school. I figured I was too far in to back out now and waste all that time and money. Despite moving back home, I commuted back to my uni twice a week to volunteer at a lab with the medical school doing some lab work though my PI was kind enough to publish me just this past month. I was also volunteering at a local hospital through a clinical volunteer program however I finished that just this past month as well. Now its almost been a year since I graduated and I feel like I've pretty much accomplished nothing. I've been searching for an entry-level job with a BS in bio as well but after searching I realized just how lackluster a BS in bio is...especially when I live in a small city. And after thinking things through and truly visualizing myself in medical school, I've realized I don't have what it takes or the passion to become a doctor. But now I am thousands of dollars in debt with no plan. Perfect.

Now I'm at a standstill. Probably going through some minor depression just wallowing at home doing nothing. (A big factor I should also add in not moving out yet is that I have a younger sibling at home with medical disabilities which my parents are almost guilt tripping me into not moving out. Not to mention some issues between my parents and a potential divorce in the future but that's a side note I guess.) My parents are also still pushing me to become a doctor even though I absolutely know in my heart and soul I don't want to pursue that path. It just frustrates me that they don't understand that just applying and giving it a try at my current state is going to be a big waste.

I am now considering other paths like PA school or nursing but I am still worried that my low undergrad GPA will come to haunt me. Can I retake courses at a CC and still be considered for these other programs? And I considered an MPH since the only courses I really excelled in are PH courses but are the job prospects worth it? I just feel so lost and my self-esteem is at an all time low. I know that once I figure out what I want to do, I will pursue it wholeheartedly but the question is what....how do I find that passion again?

Does anyone have any advice or been in a similar situation? :( Sorry if this was a long read....I guess it also helped me to just get that all out there.
Go visit your school's career counseling center, and specially ask about applied health professions.

If you still have the energy and drive, you should apply for a post bacc-clinical laboratory sciences program and get your certification in ASCP Medical technology . At least with the certification you could work lab you wanted performing tests on specimens. If your interested in working in a lab, that's what I would recommend. Plus, you will not have to worry about finding a job.

Hello all! Thank you for taking the time to respond! After more meditation, I'm really ready to go out there and work hard taking all your suggestions in mind!

Hey, I think that you would do well in nursing- that's only if you're willing to put in the effort it'll take, though! This is anecdotal, so take this with a grain of salt as it'll depend on your location and opportunities available to you, but someone I know IRL similarly had lackluster grades in the middle of their college career. They studied nursing for a while, then hit a roadblock in terms of their motivation to continue onwards, switched majors, and then recently went back to nursing. Despite the rocky start, they made an academic comeback recently, first starting with transferring to a community college from their 4-year university, doing well at CC, then transferring to a different 4-year university. They're taking a while to finish, but the last time I heard, they do plan on finishing sometime soon (maybe a year or two?). At that particular program, the least they'll get for passing is becoming an RN, and the most if they do extra well is becoming an RN with a BSN. As side-experience, they did CNA/ GNA.

Nursing definitely is open to non-traditional students, even those who didn't have successful grades to begin with, so if you're willing to go back to school and work towards becoming an RN, then I say go for it!

Alternatively, you can look into entry research jobs or clinical assistant jobs that give you on-site training so you can start paying off loans. There's a lot you can do in science and medicine that isn't being a doctor, if that's not your ultimate wish in life.

Thanks for the lengthy reply! I appreciate it! I'll look into some RN programs since it seems like that route is going to be more forgiving of my GPA. I need to get a start on that debt cause if not its just going to keep piling up.

If you still have the energy and drive, you should apply for a post bacc-clinical laboratory sciences program and get your certification in ASCP Medical technology . At least with the certification you could work lab you wanted performing tests on specimens. If your interested in working in a lab, that's what I would recommend. Plus, you will not have to worry about finding a job.

I am heavily considering this route as well. I really enjoyed my microbiology courses in undergrad and my better grades tended to be from my lab courses. I also like the fact that at least in the end it'll lead to a job. Thank you for your suggestion! I'm looking into the 1 year programs in SoCal. Might have to retake some courses to raise my GPA and be a bit more competitive but its worth a shot.

Jobs: I spent a year unemployed after graduation in 16. This wasn't because a BS Bio is unemployable but because I had been searching for jobs completely wrong. I get like 5 calls from recruiters a week now and my resume hasn't changed much since graduation. Try hosting your resume on Monster and Indeed where employers can see it, rather than sending resumes. You won't break $20/hr in all likelyhood, but 1 money > no money.

Seems like you're having a **** time. Sorry m80, hope things start looking up

Ahhh thanks haha I uploaded my resume on indeed so hoping for the best! Thank you for the advice!