giving up part of your practice

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by caligas, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. caligas

caligas ASA Member 2+ Year Member

Has anybody here given up a specific aspect of their practice, like stopped doing o.b. or cardiac? what were the circumstances? Have you been happy with your decision?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Stank811

Stank811 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

In what context? Joining a different group that does not provide a certain subset of an anesthesiologist practice? Your group stops providing certain services? Your group forms specialty teams which results in certain providers not doing cardiac or OB?

4. caligas

As in a personal decision to stop doing certain cases. Like dropping out of the cardiac sub-pool of your anesthesia group and just doing general cases.

ccpcola likes this.
  5. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

I'm in a situation where I would have to actively seek out OB work if I wanted to continue doing it. I gave it up 9 years ago with no regrets.

chocomorsel likes this.
  6. caligas

Cool. Are you pretty far into your career? Do you ever worry about needeing o.b. skills for a future job change?

7. gasdoc77

gasdoc77 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    He could always go back and do that OB fellowship if he wanted to pick it back up.

8. FFP

FFP Offline Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think all he needs is a few supervised spinals/epidurals and a few weeks of reading some good OB anesthesia books. OB fellowship is slightly above ambulatory anesthesia fellowship, in my book. But maybe I am wrong, since I haven't been practicing OB either. :)

9. drmwvr

drmwvr 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I did the same thing, and I suspect that after several thousand labor epidurals, I'd be back up to speed in about 3 days. Surgical epidurals are harder to do anyway, so it isn't as if someone who hasn't been to the labor deck for years couldn't jump right back in. I can throw a spinal in from the hallway, like most of my peers, so that is a non issue. The OB 'skill set' is pretty narrow and there's a lot of crossover.

BLADEMDA likes this.
  10. IlDestriero

IlDestriero Ether Man 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    I gave up adult anesthesia and couldn't be happier. :)

11. BobBarker

BobBarker Member 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Did my first OB shift in 6 months last night on extremely short notice. Most difficult thing of the night was figuring out where the new call room was.

12. nimbus

nimbus Member 10+ Year Member

Agreed. I did a LOT of OB before I stopped. I'm not concerned about picking it back up if the need arose.

13. Triple AAA

Triple AAA 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I gave up chronic pain mgmt, if that counts :p

About the ads