giving up part of your practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody here given up a specific aspect of their practice, like stopped doing o.b. or cardiac? what were the circumstances? Have you been happy with your decision?

Members don't see this ad.

In what context? Joining a different group that does not provide a certain subset of an anesthesiologist practice? Your group stops providing certain services? Your group forms specialty teams which results in certain providers not doing cardiac or OB?

As in a personal decision to stop doing certain cases. Like dropping out of the cardiac sub-pool of your anesthesia group and just doing general cases.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a situation where I would have to actively seek out OB work if I wanted to continue doing it. I gave it up 9 years ago with no regrets.

I'm in a situation where I would have to actively seek out OB work if I wanted to continue doing it. I gave it up 9 years ago with no regrets.

Cool. Are you pretty far into your career? Do you ever worry about needeing o.b. skills for a future job change?

He could always go back and do that OB fellowship if he wanted to pick it back up.

He could always go back and do that OB fellowship if he wanted to pick it back up.
I think all he needs is a few supervised spinals/epidurals and a few weeks of reading some good OB anesthesia books. OB fellowship is slightly above ambulatory anesthesia fellowship, in my book. But maybe I am wrong, since I haven't been practicing OB either. :)

Cool. Are you pretty far into your career? Do you ever worry about needeing o.b. skills for a future job change?

I did the same thing, and I suspect that after several thousand labor epidurals, I'd be back up to speed in about 3 days. Surgical epidurals are harder to do anyway, so it isn't as if someone who hasn't been to the labor deck for years couldn't jump right back in. I can throw a spinal in from the hallway, like most of my peers, so that is a non issue. The OB 'skill set' is pretty narrow and there's a lot of crossover.

Did my first OB shift in 6 months last night on extremely short notice. Most difficult thing of the night was figuring out where the new call room was.

I did the same thing, and I suspect that after several thousand labor epidurals, I'd be back up to speed in about 3 days. Surgical epidurals are harder to do anyway, so it isn't as if someone who hasn't been to the labor deck for years couldn't jump right back in. I can throw a spinal in from the hallway, like most of my peers, so that is a non issue. The OB 'skill set' is pretty narrow and there's a lot of crossover.

Agreed. I did a LOT of OB before I stopped. I'm not concerned about picking it back up if the need arose.