Giving up soon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishieFDR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After digging into some stats from premeds at my university. I noticed the very high average sGPA. Although I do go to an ivy and my classes were often curved to a B-B+, this means that GPAs should be around 3.3. The top 10% or so only get that A. How is it that so many premeds have an average GPA of 3.6+.

Ugh, I fail at life. Should I just quit now?

Members don't see this ad.

Work really hard. Work harder than you think is necessary. I know many people that really didn't figure out how to get A's until junior year, and many of them were accepted to medical schools. If the rest of your application is really strong, a 3.5ish GPA isn't going to end things for you, particularly if you show that you've improved over the course of your education.

Stop comparing yourself to others first. That will help you go a long way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Whats your GPA? As long as it is somewhat solid you can work on the rest of your application and still have a good shot.

After digging into some stats from premeds at my university. I noticed the very high average sGPA. Although I do go to an ivy and my classes were often curved to a B-B+, this means that GPAs should be around 3.3. The top 10% or so only get that A. How is it that so many premeds have an average GPA of 3.6+.

If you want to. Or you could just work on the things you can control. Everyone's application will be a little different and each person will have different strengths. Mine are GPA and LORs. Yours may be a great MCAT and amazing ECs. Someone else may have a crazy interesting life story and lots of research experience. Just do the best you can in each area. What else can you do?

Stop torturing yourself right now. The only person you should be comparing yourself to is you. Keep in mind that the MCAT is a the great veler of all things curved or not.

Fishie why are all your threads so self-deprecating? If you are unsure of any aspect of the process, then sit down, analyze that now, and decide before you go through it any more. You can't do it half-heartedly. And trust me, it will be taxing even just to apply.

One of the best things for me was shadowing a physician. I had an experience one time that led me to decide that this was what I wanted to do for sure, and that I was all in. It sounds to me like you are standing in the middle of the door, "wanting" to go one way, but looking for excuses to go the other.