giving up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon1214

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
j

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i worked hard this semester but gave up every now and then so i ****ed up my gpa. i also didn't learn how to study for Ochem until mid semester so I got C's on the first 2 tests. i took harder classes but these seem like typical soph classes. 3 labs but one of them didn't meet every week.

i feel so bummed out about my gpa. i am a soph. sofar my grades are
bio1-b
bio2-b-
chem1- a
chem2- a-
calc2- a
calc3- a-

for this semester i will probably get b- in both neurobio and ochem, b+ in stats which is bull**** because i could've done much better, a- in math class.

yeah so my grades were good last year. but who cares about freshman year if i can't handle this yr's load. I want to go to a california school and i'm pretty sure i have no chance now.

What do u do when you give up? I have 3 weeks left and I just wanna quit. What motivates you? At this pt I just can't do much to change my grades. I just get so depressed when I hear my friends saying how well they are doing. sure my classes are harder but in the end no one cares and no one checks to see how hard your classes/tests were they just see your GRADES.

your grades are fine.
go see the school counsellor.

not for a california school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i worked hard this semester but gave up every now and then so i ****ed up my gpa. i also didn't learn how to study for Ochem until mid semester so I got C's on the first 2 tests. i took harder classes but these seem like typical soph classes. 3 labs but one of them didn't meet every week.

bio1-b
bio2-b-
chem1- a
chem2- a-
calc2- a
calc3- a-

for this semester i will probably get b- in both neurobio and ochem, b+ in stats which is bull**** because i could've done much better, a- in math class.

yeah so my grades were good last year. but who cares about freshman year if i can't handle this yr's load. I want to go to a california school and i'm pretty sure i have no chance now.

What do u do when you give up? I have 3 weeks left and I just wanna quit. What motivates you? At this pt I just can't do much to change my grades. I just get so depressed when I hear my friends saying how well they are doing. sure my classes are harder but in the end no one cares and no one checks to see how hard your classes/tests were they just see your GRADES.

Dude, relax. You screwed up, but it's only one semester. You've got another 2 years to pull your GPA up. A lot of times the threat of having something you really want taken away from you is enough of a motivator to work hard. If you want to go to a UC school, you're gonna have to work your ass off from this point on.

you must go to an easy school if those are bad grades.... 3.5 at my school is highest honors. stop freaking out, you are fine!

my gpa for this semester is gonna be around a 3.0 with labs and such.

:thumbup:
Reasons people should not like the OP:

1) You have over a 3.7BCPM (and probably a higher cumulative) GPA and you're 'giving up'

2) You're only a sophmore and you're 'giving up

3) You expect people to feel bad for you about a B+ that you EXPECT to get NEXT SEMESTER.

If this is your internet only personality I guess thats fine, this series of tubes is a great place to vent anonamously. I just hope you posess the minimum level of situational awareness not talk like this in your classes, where your classmates may be facing real personal problems or may be strugguling just not to fail out of school. Being this worried (out loud) about something this unimportant is a great way end up friendless for the rest of your life.

i always think of what Buzz Lightyear would do.. "Never give up, Never surrender"

bio1-b
bio2-b-
chem1- a
chem2- a-
calc2- a
calc3- a-

What do u do when you give up? I have 3 weeks left and I just wanna quit. What motivates you? At this pt I just can't do much to change my grades. my classes are harder but in the end no one cares and no one checks to see how hard your classes/tests were they just see your GRADES.

OK either I am going to motivate you or you just ruined it for me too hahaha.

So i got a C last yr (freshman year)...I got 2 Bs in chem, 1 A-. 1 A- in math, 2 Bs. 2 As in psych, 1 B. 1 B in mamm phys (hardest teacher EVER). Currently have 2 A-s, a B+, and a C- in chem if i dont do very well on the final...and i plan on going to a cali med school and not giving up anytime soon.

Am i screwed? kinda...because i have to work hard already and a little extra to make up for the slack...can i do it?

let me ask u...Can a very skinny asian man who weighs less than 130 lbs eat 53.5 hotdogs in 12 minutes ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDjpLDMxRM

well there's your answer...that man is extremely lucky to eat that much with such a great metabolism...and me...IM hungry...for something else...MEDICINE...not in the crazy-i-want-to-swallow-random-pills-for-fun way...but the good way :thumbup:.

So in the words of Michael Jordan...just do it.

Since everyone has already pointed out that you are fine, which you are, here is some different advice:

Focus better if thats what it takes to do better. Is there anything in your life that you can cut out to devote more time to studying? Is there something you do that isn't going to help your app that much that you can cut out and replace with something better? ECs are huge, and can more than make up for one bad semester.
Try taking 3 hours a week to volunteer at Hospice. That will be a really good experience that you can jump into after a little bit of training.

And about your 'freaking out,' I can promise you that this will not be the last time you think you are screwed. Everyone goes through these little freakouts at some point. Keep going, you'll be fine.

actually other people seem to be doing better than me. maybe i'm talking to the wrong people. everyone seems to be balancing just as tough courseloads, making better grades, and doing more EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you need to just relax. Just do the best you can. My freshman year I got like 3 b's in some gen chem classes and was all freaked out because I thought this was it, if I was doing that poorly now how could I survive the hard stuff. As it turned out those were the only b's I ended up getting all through college. Your grades are solid (calc 3 really???) just finish up as strong as you can.

When I was a sophomore, which was for about 2 years, I was happy with my performance when my GPA rose above my BAC. O-chem? Med school? I played doctor from time to time, but that was about it for me. Some of you people are wound way too tight.

actually other people seem to be doing better than me. maybe i'm talking to the wrong people. everyone seems to be balancing just as tough courseloads, making better grades, and doing more EC's.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and avoid other premed students like the plague. Sure, they'll be in many of your classes, and some may be your friends, but other than that stay far far away.

I wasn't a bio or a chem major, so the vast majority of my classes were with non premed students, and I loved it. The people in my major were MUCH more laid back, normal people, and it allowed me to focus on my own studies and not be caught up in what someone else was doing and how I could beat them. When I did take the prereq classes with many other premed students, I was already confident in my abilities after having done very well in my other classes, and aced them all. I am certainly not trying to brag here, but to demonstrate that the type of premed mentality can be poison for many people, and for me personally it was fantastic not being around them all the time.

Since everyone has already pointed out that you are fine, which you are, here is some different advice:

Focus better if thats what it takes to do better. Is there anything in your life that you can cut out to devote more time to studying? Is there something you do that isn't going to help your app that much that you can cut out and replace with something better? ECs are huge, and can more than make up for one bad semester.
Try taking 3 hours a week to volunteer at Hospice. That will be a really good experience that you can jump into after a little bit of training.

And about your 'freaking out,' I can promise you that this will not be the last time you think you are screwed. Everyone goes through these little freakouts at some point. Keep going, you'll be fine.

Well I spent a lot of time looking for research jobs and interviewing and trying out things at the beginning of the semester. i worked at a lab for a month but I couldn't commit enough time. so right now all i do is mock trial, journal editor, violin lessons. i wanted to do more but this courseload is annoying. i also won't do a research job unless i really think it is worth it- like i have a friend who commits a ton of time for research and in the end he is really just doing data entry which isn't worth it imo.
i also considered tutoring kids but not sure yet. have a couple more days to decide.

I feel like a study a lot. It just took awhile to learn what I needed to do for subjects such as Ochem. And i underestimated the amount of effort i needed to put in for bio classes.

OK either I am going to motivate you or you just ruined it for me too hahaha.

So i got a C last yr (freshman year)...I got 2 Bs in chem, 1 A-. 1 A- in math, 2 Bs. 2 As in psych, 1 B. 1 B in mamm phys (hardest teacher EVER). Currently have 2 A-s, a B+, and a C- in chem if i dont do very well on the final...and i plan on going to a cali med school and not giving up anytime soon.

Am i screwed? kinda...because i have to work hard already and a little extra to make up for the slack...can i do it?

let me ask u...Can a very skinny asian man who weighs less than 130 lbs eat 53.5 hotdogs in 12 minutes ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDjpLDMxRM

well there's your answer...that man is extremely lucky to eat that much with such a great metabolism...and me...IM hungry...for something else...MEDICINE...not in the crazy-i-want-to-swallow-random-pills-for-fun way...but the good way :thumbup:.

So in the words of Michael Jordan...just do it.

heh thanks.

my gpa for this semester is gonna be around a 3.0 with labs and such.

If its any help, I had a semster my junior year of 3.02 including a B in o-chem and physics. I have 2 interviews so far and another coming up. You are doing fine. Do your best on the MCAT as well.

bio1-b
bio2-b-
chem1- a
chem2- a-
calc2- a
calc3- a-

What do u do when you give up? I have 3 weeks left and I just wanna quit. What motivates you? At this pt I just can't do much to change my grades. my classes are harder but in the end no one cares and no one checks to see how hard your classes/tests were they just see your GRADES.

Ummm take it easy dude. Your gpa is above 3.4 so you are not really in trouble, at all. Grades should not dictate your daily emotions, remember that.

Honestly OP, if you think those grades are bad, then here's what you need to do...call 911, and tell the medic to push some narcan, because you're obviously overdosing on some pretty good ****.

Those grades are fine, relax. Even for a UC, you can recover from a few B's, sheesh. I agree with the advice to just avoid other pre-med students so you don't get too many more "doom and gloom" moods.

stop hanging out with pre-meds, they'll make you just as neurotic as they are. Focus on your own plate for right now, and stop comparing yourself. There's always some one out there who's got it more together than you.

to the OP... STOP WHINING!!!

and i mean that in the nicest and most humorous way possible.

I personally got C's in both levels of general chem along with Calc I and physics I, and even a got a C in my cross listed grad class my last semester (Advanced Developmental biology ... hardest exams ever)

but im not letting it get me down...what it comes down to is if you are passionate about medicine and know you want to spend the rest of your life doing it then what difference does one grade have? Are you going to let something as minor as this bug you and make you want to turn off the road?

remember WWLD.

what would leonidas do? :laugh:

Do yourself a HUGE favor and avoid other premed students like the plague. Sure, they'll be in many of your classes, and some may be your friends, but other than that stay far far away.

I wasn't a bio or a chem major, so the vast majority of my classes were with non premed students, and I loved it. The people in my major were MUCH more laid back, normal people, and it allowed me to focus on my own studies and not be caught up in what someone else was doing and how I could beat them. When I did take the prereq classes with many other premed students, I was already confident in my abilities after having done very well in my other classes, and aced them all. I am certainly not trying to brag here, but to demonstrate that the type of premed mentality can be poison for many people, and for me personally it was fantastic not being around them all the time.

I completely agree... I have no pre-med friends... and I've never been happier... There is no comparing, no out doing one another... and even in my classes where pre-meds are the majority... I put on my headphones and pull out my big 'ol book of sudoku puzzles and keep my mind off all the chatter. I can't deal with neurotic premeds... even though at times I can become one. It's better to vent to friends who really don't understand than to ppl who do understand and then after hearing you vent they have to vent too and compare their hectic life to yours... its a never ending vicious cycle...

As the other posters stated above... you are fine... ochem is a hard subject you either get it or you don't... stop worrying... because it will only make you feel worse, not better... which also means that you won't be able to study for the final... which might make you do worse... stop worrying... kick ass on the final... and beast the MCAT

Will you take your pity party somewhere else? You sitting on SDN and arguing with us about how "terrible" your grades are isn't getting anyone anywhere... especially you. So, either buck up and get to work or find another profession.

i think i have the right to freak out. a 3.0 isn't good at all. but i guess it's not the end of the world if i can fix it.

i think I'm gonna try as hard as i can to finish this semester strongly and then try not to **** up again. thanks.

i think i have the right to freak out. a 3.0 isn't good at all. but i guess it's not the end of the world if i can fix it.

I'm going to vomit. :hungover: Wait...I feel it coming...:barf:

Ok, I feel better. Phew.

bio1-b
bio2-b-
chem1- a
chem2- a-
calc2- a
calc3- a-

how you handle failure says much more about your character than years and years of success. it's easy to fail. it's easy to give up. it's a b**** to admit you lost and ask how you can win tomorrow.

damn dude. you're only human give yourself a break. take a breath, crack a beer, watch some football. Don't sweat the small stuff. You'll have to spend the next 7-8 years of life worrying about the little things in med school. try to enjoy your undergrad and get what you can out of it. you dont need a 3.9/40 to get into a good school if youre impassioned about it. Yeah, it helps but...is it worth sacrificing so much in college (supposedly the best years of your life?). I think not, but to each their own.

Gluck. :luck:

Reasons people should not like the OP:

1) You have over a 3.7BCPM (and probably a higher cumulative) GPA and you're 'giving up'

2) You're only a sophomore and you're 'giving up'

3) You expect people to feel bad for you about a B+ that you EXPECT to get NEXT SEMESTER.

If this is your internet only personality I guess thats fine, this series of tubes is a great place to vent anonymously. I just hope you possess the minimum level of situational awareness not talk like this in your classes, where your classmates may be facing real personal problems or may be struggling just not to fail out of school. Being this worried (out loud) about something this unimportant is a great way end up friendless for the rest of your life.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Suck it up Sally. This is the easiest it's going to get. You think working 80hours a week and getting yelled at every other minute during residency is going to be easier. If it were easy everyone would do it.

TM

I agree with themule. Tenacity is one of the most important qualities to have in this process. If a 3.0 is going to give you second thoughts, you'd better develop some tenacity ASAP.

none of that stuff is true which is why the commenter edited it out.

Well, you have a "B". I have "B" in some 2 classes and I have to ace the final to even have a chance at getting an "A".
however in your defense I once did post something about getting a 70 but I was having a horrible day and my fellow sdners reminded me that getting a "B" is not end of the world.