Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Glass half full

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Rose122, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Rose122

Rose122 Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought I'd just mention my own two cents on something here, hopefully it's encouraging because that's my intent. Reading these forums and seeing so much criticism only reinforces the cynacism that exists around obtaining a med school acceptance. The fact of the matter is that most adcoms are well meaning people that are volunteering their time or else trying to steer the profession in the direction that they desire. Hence, they are trying to sift through the applicants and find the jewels out there. All too many people choose to focus on their low gpa/MCAT/etc. as a reason that some obtuse adcom member will shoot them down. Really, they probably got away with something when they were applying themselves or have outstanding colleagues that also didn't fit the mold that give them determination to look deeper into the picture. Instead of viewing yourself as a duck on the pond think of yourself as a diamond in the rough and maybe that attitude will be detected by the application reader/interviewer.

2. celticmists18

celticmists18 california dreaming
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    have you actually gone through the application process yet?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rose122

Rose122 Member
    7+ Year Member

Ha ha ha. That's funny.

Wait, was that a joke?

4. celticmists18

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There is no need to be rude, its a valid question. It is hard from me to believe that someone who has actually been through the process hasn't been a least a little jaded by the completely random nature of interviews/acceptances/and rejections. However, you attitude explains a lot . . .

p.s. considering that more than 50% of people who apply to med school aren't accept anywhere I think people have a right to be a little cynical and pessimistic (not all of us are arrogant enough to consider ourselves diamonds in the rough).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Rose122

Rose122 Member
    7+ Year Member

Whoa man. Lighten up. I really though that was a joke considering my post. To answer your question, yes I have (although you took the liberty of answering your own question, thus reinforcing my interpretation of your question). Anyhow, I happen to think it was the attitude that I projected to the interviewers (one of gratitude and appreciation, excitement to at the prospect of going to med school, etc) that they detected. What else can they look for?

6. celticmists18

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What else can they look for?: Someone who is genuine and not trying to butter them up. Treat them with respect, but not worshipping admiration, and be yourself . . .what I really had a problem with is that you suggest people think of themselves as diamonds in the rough. You do that and you are going to come off as arrogant ("you would be lucky to have me"). Its amazing to me that someone who has gone through the process can still have their rose-colored glasses on, but perhaps you had a better experience than the rest of us . . . whatever the reason, your view is definitely the minority opinion.

7. mrcool

mrcool Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

wait a second, i just took the OP has being a good way of looking at the process. I mean i've had just as bad as the next guy and what i read was yes, that it probably a good way to look at it and it might even help out your chances if you can project this attitude. a diamond in the ruff is not arrogant at all, it just means that you know you are a great person, but understand that some people might not see it immediately...i think its a healthy attidude and dont understand what this person is so pissed of about.

8. Rose122

Rose122 Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd like to say I'm perplexed because I agree with you but the fact that I expressed my appreciation for the interview experiences that I had and you called me fake should have been expected considering that I was adressing cynicism.

I'll throw you a bone here and admit I'm not even a fan of the diamond in the rough comment myself. I just think that you should believe in yourself. If you don't dream big and aspire to greatness then you'll never achieve them. That's not to mean that all it takes is dreaming but if you don't believe in yourself nobody else will. And, I'm not sure why anyone would go through such heartache if they weren't 100% sure about their career choice. Besides, with a nearly %50 acceptance rate its like there's half diamonds, half coals (glass is half full) in the field.

Maybe I'm naive but that was the whole premise of my post.