Glass of wine while studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds this beneficial? I've just started doing it over the summer but not sure if I should do it during the semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been known to nurse a run and coke while studying before.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna have to experiment a little more. I remember reading an article a while back saying something like you have to be in the same state you studied in to retain things, like for an exam or something.

I'm gonna have to experiment a little more. I remember reading an article a while back saying something like you have to be in the same state you studied in to retain things, like for an exam or something.
So you're gonna take the exam tipsy?

Reactions: 2 users
So you're gonna take the exam tipsy?
I mean, it wouldn't be the first time. Plus, I'm sure the professor would be cool with it considering it's for academic purposes.

Reactions: 1 users
I tried that once (chewed the same gum studying as I did during the exam) and did pretty dang well. N=1 but whatever made me feel good :laugh:

I tried that once (chewed the same gum studying as I did during the exam) and did pretty dang well. N=1 but whatever made me feel good :laugh:

Was that the only variable though? I always though that was a myth.

I once studied needing to go to the bathroom and then took an exam needing to go to the bathroom.

Turned out to be ****.

Reactions: 11 users
Was that the only variable though? I always though that was a myth.
Well, I also really enjoyed cardiovascular anatomy and physiology. But I got a 98.6% on the exam. I usually get anywhere from 85-87%. I am not a triple star golden student like most here on SDN :)

I absolutely think it helped though... even if it was just something 'mental.'

I sometimes smoke MJ before studying, sometimes it does wonders, other times I spend my time looking at the ceiling. Do whatever works bro. Experiment. My professor didn't grade his Orgo finals w/o a drink. Said it helped him focus and read students incorrect mechanisms lol.

I've done beer a few times. It gets my loose during group study. I don' think it helps me retain any better than no beer.

I sometimes smoke MJ before studying, sometimes it does wonders, other times I spend my time looking at the ceiling. Do whatever works bro. Experiment. My professor didn't grade his Orgo finals w/o a drink. Said it helped him focus and read students incorrect mechanisms lol.
Sounds like he was drinking to deal...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I channel my inner Walter white and become a meth kingpin in the name of learning chemical syntheses for upper levels.

It helps provide the proper motivation to learn all the bull**** material

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like he was drinking to deal...

I agree, I once saw a classmates exam (Helping grade it) and he/she was pushing arrows from a + charge. o_O For those who don't know, in orgo thats a big no no. I would also drink to that lol

I agree, I once saw a classmates exam (Helping grade it) and he/she was pushing arrows from a + charge. o_O For those who don't know, in orgo thats a big no no. I would also drink to that lol
I tutor organic chemistry and sometimes my tutees make me want to drink, so I understand that. Really enjoyed my organic professor's teaching and class though, he really went out of his way to do the best for his students.

I tutor organic chemistry and sometimes my tutees make me want to drink, so I understand that. Really enjoyed my organic professor's teaching and class though, he really went out of his way to do the best for his students.

Same here I think Orgo was the best class.

This sounds like a research project :)

I drink beer while studying quite frequently. Not sure it really helps me study but it definitely helps me relax and enjoy studying a little more. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion

Am I the only one who finds this beneficial? I've just started doing it over the summer but not sure if I should do it during the semester.

Red wine is mother natures melatonin

edit - sorry for the double post. was lazy and didn't combine them.

I'd venture to say that I don't know jack about organic chemistry... and even I know that is a big no-no :)

I swear by the glass of red wine every evening towards the end of studying/before bed.

I did it every night before my MCAT and credit it with my good score (and retaining my sanity).

Been doing it since I started med school too and it has been pretty positive. I'll actually wrap up studying 30 min early, pour a glass and re watch the most complicated of the day's lectures in my arm chair.

Back in undergrad I had a prof tell us she had to drink some wine to deal with our horrible exams...seemed to work for her until she spilled wine on them. That was an awkward exam to give back lol.

To whoever said they like to study after smoking weed...read up on what it does to your long term memory/retention. At the most basic level weed blocks LTP pathways, basically guaranteeing that you won't remember what you study long term.

To whoever said they like to study after smoking weed...read up on what it does to your long term memory/retention. At the most basic level weed blocks LTP pathways, basically guaranteeing that you won't remember what you study long term.

Hey I like it lol. Don't be jelly if it don't work for u

I'm definitely not drinking a beer while writing secondaries right now, so I couldn't possibly have any opinions on this subject :nod:

I'm definitely not drinking a beer while writing secondaries right now, so I couldn't possibly have any opinions on this subject :nod:

"Write drunk, edit sober"

I totally didn't come home very drunk the night of my birthday and rewrite my entire PS...only to wake up and realize the new one was way better but full of spelling errors :cigar:

"Write drunk, edit sober"

I totally didn't come home very drunk the night of my birthday and rewrite my entire PS...only to wake up and realize the new one was way better but full of spelling errors :cigar:

Hemmingway('s probably misattributed quote) is quite wise.

Honestly, for me I think it's mostly about tricking myself into thinking it's less work than it actually is. I used to study for spring finals outside on the lawn for a similar reason.

Writing essays and smoking weed is awesome. Either you have a masterpiece or a complete mess.