Glasses or Contacts for an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

technician

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wear whatever you feel most comfortable and confident in. As long as they aren't tremendously flamboyant, no one will care.

I'd wear whichever I thought I looked better in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
contacts, i'd never wear glasses during an interview and just go without them because they can really hide your eyes and expressivity not to mention it's so easy to get stereotyped for wearing glasses.

Wear what you normally wear, just be yourself

Reactions: 1 user
contacts, i'd never wear glasses during an interview and just go without them because they can really hide your eyes and expressivity not to mention it's so easy to get stereotyped for wearing glasses.

I know man. Doctors and interviewers hate 'four-eyes'.

You're joking right? No one gives a crap.

Reactions: 9 users
I know that this is an anxiety-riddled process, but really, we don't care about your eyewear.

Hi all,

Lucky enough to have an interview coming up next week, and I had a question about glasses. I couldn't find any dedicated threads that were up to date as the trends change pretty quickly.

Anyways, I have thick rimmed glasses, and I'm not sure if I should wear them to an interview or wear contacts. I want them to remember me, but I don't want them to be distracted. I want to seem intellectual, but not nerdy. So, I can't decide if I should wear them or wear contacts.

What do you all think?

Reactions: 9 users
I know man. Doctors and interviewers hate 'four-eyes'.

You're joking right? No one gives a crap.

you do get stereotyped. try wearing glasses pretty much anywhere and then not. you often times get totally different responses from people.

you do get stereotyped. try wearing glasses pretty much anywhere and then not. you often times get totally different responses from people.

I've been wearing glasses since I was like 13. Outside of like high school, no one has ever really commented on them except to say that they like my glasses. I rotate like 4 pairs of them depending on what I'm wearing though.

Also, I freaking hate contacts.

Reactions: 7 users
I've been wearing glasses since I was like 13. Outside of like high school, no one has ever really commented on them except to say that they like my glasses. I rotate like 4 pairs of them depending on what I'm wearing though.

Also, I freaking hate contacts.

You sound like me. I hate contacts too. I've worn glasses since I was 5 years old. It's basically who I am and people are pretty damn shallow to stereotype based on that...

Such a ridiculous notion. I'd be uncomfortable as hell wearing contacts simply over the fear of a "stereotype".

As long as your glasses don't look hideous or outrageous (i.e, leopard print, bright yellow/red etc..) you're good to go! I wore contacts :)

Totally depends on which makes you feel more confident and comfortable. I personally feel more confident when I wear contacts, so I've done that for every interview so far except for today (I was running late). I will say that wearing glasses today (turtle plastic frame glasses, not thick rimmed but not ultra-thin either) definitely did not affect my interview day at all. It all depends on what puts you in the right state of mind/the most confident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Within reason --
glasses-fashion.html

Contacts. Adcoms were loving me because my eyes reflected the passion I have for medicine.

Ohh, and I wore this one

Crazy-Flame-Hot.jpg

srs

Reactions: 10 users
I think that transcends the definition of 'eyewear', but you do you.

Yes, there is subconscious bias. The data is in. Our friends the lawyers have figured it out. If you want to be seen as attractive and likeable, don't wear glasses. If you want to be seen as successful, intelligent and trustworthy, wear rimless glasses: http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2013/03/the-glasses-stereotype-revisited/ But research in Germany has shown that people who wear glasses actually typically have achieved a higher level of education, perhaps because they read more, so it's not just an unfounded stereotype: http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/01/people-who-wear-glasses-are-smarter-study-claims/20923473/

I would say wear definitely glasses or contacts, because you wanna see during the interview ;D

I'll be rocking my contacts since I feel confident and it's one less thing to fuss with throughout the day. Also, people call them "hipster glasses" so I wouldn't want to wear anything to draw negative attention

Reactions: 1 users
WOW. HOW is this a thread?????

I wore glasses at all my interviews. I've seen others do it too. No one cared. I was still able to smile, make eye contact, and show enthusiasm. When I see a person wearing glasses, my first and only thought is, "That person is wearing glasses."

Guys guys..should I wear my lucky boxers or briefs for an interview? I want them to remember me.

What about if they're not wearing them? Do you continue past "That person is not wearing glasses" or does the thinking stop there as well?

When I see a person wearing glasses, my first and only thought is, "That person is wearing glasses."

What about if they're not wearing them? Do you continue past "That person is not wearing glasses" or does the thinking stop there as well?
Lol then it goes to "This person is/is not wearing something weird."

Seems like people are best off wearing glasses, then, so you won't wonder if they're wearing weird things.

Lol then it goes to "This person is/is not wearing something weird."

You're really kicking the neurosis up a notch. Even for SDN, this is impressive.

No one cares about how you correct your vision impairment. I think I wore contacts to my interviews, but just because I think they are more comfortable and I like having peripheral vision.