Glendale Apartments/ MWU-CPG Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cede21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone had heard of any great off-campus apartments in Glendale, AZ. I will be attending MWU-CPG in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

cede21 said:
I wanted to know if anyone had heard of any great off-campus apartments in Glendale, AZ. I will be attending MWU-CPG in the fall.

It depends what you're looking for. I live in a 2-bedroom, single-story (nobody living above me) apartment about 3 miles from school. It's $742/month, I have to pay electric and cable/internet (water is paid), and it has a washer/dryer. The apts across the street from the school are over $900/month for two bedrooms….one bedrooms are about the same as what I’m paying for two bedrooms. Houses for rent in the area are $1200+. A good place to start would be apartments.com, so that you could see what's available in the 85308 zip code for your price range.

I have been on apartments.com and forrent.com and have found some decent floorplans and such. I was just hoping that someone knew of a complex that they had had a decent experience with. If you wouldn't mind telling me the name of your complex, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just from previous experience don't pick any of the apts on 59th and Greenway (Sagewood, Suncreek, Country Gables). A lot of trashy people live in that area. I saw quite a few drug transactions and heard my fair share of domestic abuse through the paper thin walls of Sagewood.

I'm now renting a new construction home with my boyfriend/classmate for $975/month. Our landlord has a few rental houses if you're interested in renting from him.

Look into renting a house from a smaller landlord. There are several students who live in 3-car garage, 2600 sq foot houses with roomates for <$400/month. A house is so much better than an apt, especially after dorm/apt life all through undergrad. :thumbup:

jdpharmd? said:
Look into renting a house from a smaller landlord. There are several students who live in 3-car garage, 2600 sq foot houses with roomates for <$400/month. A house is so much better than an apt, especially after dorm/apt life all through undergrad. :thumbup:

I have lots of friends in phoenix and the consensus is don't live in glendale proper. Go find somewhere nicer and not so ghetto.

njac, you have no idea about what you are talking about.

If the "Glendale proper" you are referring to is in the southern part of Glendale, then you would be right. It is a very old part of town. If the "Glendale proper" you are referring to is in the northern part of Glendale, then you are way off. Where the school is located at is a great location, home prices are climbing like crazy, many selling as soon as they hit the market. That is not a sign of a "ghetto" part of town. I am willing to bet the Aarowhead neighborhood surrounding campus, especially just north of campus, is nicer than anything in Albuquerque and the nicest parts of Tucson, if there is such a thing there.

But based on the locations under your name, I am sure you are an expert on what ghettos are like.

njac, more for you on Glendale being a Ghetto. How many places like this do you have within a mile of UNM or UA?
http://www.jansnyder.com/page25.html
I have been to both schools you apparently are going to or do call home and don't find very many multi-million dollar homes within walking distance. Here is one about a mile and half west of school, in the older part of north glendale.
http://www.jansnyder.com/19202n71.htm
or a couple of the more affordable ones just north of school like the first.
http://www.jansnyder.com/5552LoneCactus.htm
http://www.jansnyder.com/5338Tonopah.htm

There are cheaper places, still in nice family neighborhoods, within 5-10 miles of campus with houses around 250-300 K on up, still far above Ghetto rating.

For those of you not familiar with the area around Midwestern Glendale, it is one of the hottest, fastest growing in the valley and has huge demand from people wanting in. Some of the above links have some pretty good pictures of the mountain preserve which is full of miles of trails for hiking or biking, all within 1-2 miles of campus. Any restaurant and shopping you might want is all within about 4 miles of campus, and easy to access along the 101 freeway.

Don't buy into what njac is saying about Glendale. He obviously has outdated ideas about oldtown Glendale, 10-15 miles to the south of campus, and is grouping the whole town together.

cede21 said:

To be simple and back on topic, I enjoyed living at Archstone Arrowhead. It was around $600/month for a one bedroom, and is located just north of one of the malls. I didn't have any problems with noise or disruptive tenants. Oh, and it took me 10 minutes to get to school. Other people from my class lived there too, and later I found out that people from the classes ahead of me also spent time living there. I guess word got out that they give a discount to Midwestern students. They have 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments.

Hopefully, this link works.

Jeddevil said:
njac, you have no idea about what you are talking about.

If the "Glendale proper" you are referring to is in the southern part of Glendale, then you would be right. It is a very old part of town. If the "Glendale proper" you are referring to is in the northern part of Glendale, then you are way off. Where the school is located at is a great location, home prices are climbing like crazy, many selling as soon as they hit the market. That is not a sign of a "ghetto" part of town. I am willing to bet the Aarowhead neighborhood surrounding campus, especially just north of campus, is nicer than anything in Albuquerque and the nicest parts of Tucson, if there is such a thing there.

But based on the locations under your name, I am sure you are an expert on what ghettos are like.

I think you are being ridiculous and hypersensitive. I admittedly do not know much about phoenix - forthe 10 years I lived in Tucson I only came up for concerts, horse shows and the airport. But from what I've seen, one might as well live in California. It just seemed to be trying to be Cali wayyy too much. People forget they live in the desert and flood their yards (I know out in Mesa and Chandler people have freaking pastures for their horses. Its the damn desert).

But that was the opinion of my phoenix friends (one of which grew up in Glendale) when I was sort of looking at MWU. Now while I love Tucson, I don't have much good to say about Albuqerque, so you can bash that all you want. And Tucson was a lot of fun, so I guess if one is boring and needs manufactured fun, it wouldn't be a good place for them? :confused:

seems silly that you got so worked up about a stranger dissin on one of the phoenix boroughs.

Seems silly you piped in when you have zero experience here.