Glide year job hunt info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey all,

I'm currently a post-bac student (will finish in May of this year), and I'm planning on taking 2 years off before (hopefully) heading to med school in the fall of '13. I'm looking for some resources for finding a job in the medical field, but I'm having some trouble. I've exhausted my university's career center listings, as well as jobs that previous post-bacs currently hold, so right now I'm just poking around med schools' websites and seeing what job openings there are. It's quite tedious and the job descriptions leave something to be desired, though.

Any advice on where else to look?

My apologies if this has been discussed at length before. I searched a bit but didn't find anything really helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking for a patient care job or a research job??

I can't give you much help for the former since most of my patient care activities have been volunteer. I know most hospitals are happy to hire to you be an ER tech or something along the sorts if you will get a EMT-B or phlebotomist's license. (They may or may not pay for this if you sign on to work for them first.)

If you're interested in research, be sure to say that you'd be available for two years. A lot of labs (at least around my place) would prefer two year commitments since they'd get more of a return for the training they put you through. This advice should also help for clinical positions.

Everyone is kind of broke now with budget and grant cuts, but keep applying and I'm sure you'll find a decent opportunity!

Good luck

Thanks for the response brahms.

As an undergrad I did lots of research, including basic wet-lab stuff, so I'm definitely looking for a more clinical position. Having said that, I'm open to participating in clinical research, although it seems as though most jobs in that field are of the "research coordinator" variety, which doesn't really appeal to me all that much, but is something I could live with if push comes to shove. Part of the problem is that I don't exactly know what I want, I'm just trying to get an idea of what's out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will probably have to apply very, very, very broadly and take whatever you can get... this isn't exactly a market you can be picky in. Use whatever connections you can get.

You will probably have to apply very, very, very broadly and take whatever you can get... this isn't exactly a market you can be picky in. Use whatever connections you can get.

QFT. I'm in my glide year right now and it was brutal finding something. Several hospitals wouldn't even accept me as a volunteer. Ended up finding a volunteer gig in a school for the developmentally disabled and transitioned to a paid position.