Global Health elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Given everything, should I go to Uganda?

• Total voters

kevlar22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a current 3rd year med student with a situation: my school offers a 4th year global health elective in Uganda that's 6 weeks long from mid January to February 2018. I'm interested in going for many reasons: chance to learn and see how healthcare is practiced in a resource-poor area, chances to work with the population and provide care, improve my physical diagnosis skills given the lack of resources and much more. Also, my girlfriend will be going there, she will be a 3rd year resident by then. I'll admit that we're excited talking about it, since we'll get to work together in an environment where we get to provide care to the under-privileged.

Some worrisome things though are the fact that med students have to pay up for tuition, food, and air fare expenses (did some calculations and everything totals up to $8,000 , which I don't currently have), and the fact that this may interfere with residency interviews (haven't decided on what specialty yet).

Another wrench to throw into the equation is that: the deadline for submitting an application for med students is 12/31/16. My girlfriend has confirmed she is going, since she had to apply intern year for this elective before she met me (she's currently a 2nd year resident and she is fully reimbursed for everything from her salary, living expenses, and airfare, which I think is really unfair to the med students and talked with the director, there are no scholarships or grants available to med students so we really do have to foot the entirety of the bill). Also I will have to use the 2 week vacation I have at the end of 4th year to do a 2 week course in Uganda training.

Given all this, do you think it's worth it that I go? I really do want to since this is a once in a lifetime opportunity as a med student that I won't get to do otherwise, but at the same time there are a lot of variables to consider: financial costs, opportunity costs for residency interviews, and etc.

So what do y'all honestly think? Yay or nay?

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a complete waste of everything... time, money, natural resources, career opportunities, you name it.

What exotic third world diseases are you hoping to find? Tertiary syphilis? Come to Baton Rouge. New onset measles? Try Marin county. You want to help the underserved? You could probably ride your bicycle to an underserved area. You want to help the Africans? Donate that $8,000 to a worthy charity, not airlines and oil companies.

I did a global health rotation in Maasailand, and I did it for a variety of personal reasons and I am glad I did it, but I went in knowing the trip wouldn't benefit my career, my skills, my wallet, and certainly not my African patients.

If you go, do it for the right reasons, like the opportunity to bang your girlfriend in a sleeping bag under the southern cross, with hyenas howling in the background.

Last edited:
ugh....

Your use of bolding is a little too enthusiastic. If you don't have $8k and it costs $8k then it's over. You don't go.

I'll also point out that it's stupid to say it's unfair that resident fees are paid but students aren't.....residents are useful, students aren't