Global Health for Epi?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyswallow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows any epi MPH who went on to do global health work?

Global health really interests me, but I also want a degree that allow me to have a stable job (and to convince my parents).

I've been looking at UCLA, USC, Berkeley, and Yale. I'm not sure if these schools allow double concentrations, which is why I was wondering whether there are those who concentrate on one area and then have a job that also encompasses another area.

I hope I'm making sense...

Members don't see this ad.

Heads up: Yale doesn't have a degree in GH. You have a home department (could be Chronic Disease Epi, for instance) and you can add a GH concentration on top of your home department. You can't do GH by itself.

Heads up: Yale doesn't have a degree in GH. You have a home department (could be Chronic Disease Epi, for instance) and you can add a GH concentration on top of your home department. You can't do GH by itself.

I heard they were bringing it back as a department though maybe not next year - the OP should double-check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows any epi MPH who went on to do global health work?

Global health really interests me, but I also want a degree that allow me to have a stable job (and to convince my parents).

I've been looking at UCLA, USC, Berkeley, and Yale. I'm not sure if these schools allow double concentrations, which is why I was wondering whether there are those who concentrate on one area and then have a job that also encompasses another area.

I hope I'm making sense...

Many schools don't have dual concentrations (it's hard to do two things well in two years), but schools with strong programs in Global Health and International Health within Epidemiology that don't require any experience are Emory and UMich. Global Health can lead to jobs - in most cases it's a subset of Epid, and Epid has lots of applicability, as it's main focus is on collecting and analyzing data. It's also difficult to get a job with WHO or other international orgs without international experience, and the global health programs will typically have you perform an internship abroad.

I think Loma Linda University has a Global health program