GLOBAL HEALTH & INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE for premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeder

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey
this is my favorite conference. its a must do. look at the conference speaker list...

Please Forward Widely
Early Bird Rate Increases After January 20th

GLOBAL HEALTH & INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE: Innovation, Advancement, and Best Practices to Achieve Global Goals
Unite For Sight Fourth Annual International Health Conference
April 14-15, 2007 at Stanford University School of Medicine, California
http://www.uniteforsight.org/conference/2007/

More Than 300 Renowned Speakers from North America, Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Europe
Join over 1,500 leaders, doctors, professionals, and students from 5 continents for an engaging exchange of ideas and best practices.
When: April 14-15, 2007
Where: Stanford University School of Medicine, California, USA
Who should attend?Anyone interested in eye care, international health, medicine, health education, health promotion, public health, international service, social entrepreneurship, nonprofits, or microenterprise
EARLY BIRD RATE INCREASES AFTER JANUARY 20: Current Rate is $65 Students/$85 All Others

COMPLETE CONFERENCE SCHEDULE WITH 300 SPEAKERS: http://uniteforsight.org/conference/2007/index.php

SPEAKER HIGHLIGHTS (20 OF THE 300 SPEAKERS) INCLUDE:
--"Millennium Development Goals, Partnerships, and Eye Care (By Prepared Videotape)", JEFFREY SACHS, PhD, Director, Earth Institute at Columbia University; Quetelet Professor of Sustainable Development; Professor of Health Policy and Management

--"Challenges in Public Health: From Smallpox and Polio Eradication to SARS and Avian Influenza", DAVID HEYMANN, MD, MPH, Former Executive Director for Communicable Diseases, World Health Organization

--"Public Private Partnerships to Advance Technologies for Neglected Disease", CHRISTOPHER ELIAS, MD, MPH, President of PATH

--"The Right to Health: Towards Social Inclusion and Universal Health Care in Latin America", ARACHU CASTRO, PhD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Social Medicine, Academic Director; Program in Infectious Disease and Social Change, Harvard Medical School / Partners in Heath

--"The War on AIDS - Integration Equals Impact", GEORGE GUIMARAES, President and CEO, Project Concern International

--"Critical Health Issues in the 21st Century", SUSAN BLUMENTHAL, MD, MPA, Former US Assistant Surgeon General, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Georgetown School of Medicine and Tufts University Medical Center

--"The Neglected Tropical Diseases: New Promise For Their Control", PETER HOTEZ, MD, PhD, Professor and Chairman, Department of Microbiology and Tropical Medicine, The George Washington University

--"Microfinance and Health: New Synergies and Opportunities", ALEX COUNTS, President, Grameen Foundation USA

--"Public Private Partnerships to Provide Safe Drinking Water in Africa", GREG ALLGOOD, PhD, Director, Children's Safe Drinking Water, Procter & Gamble

--"Antiretroviral Drugs and Issues of Drug Access and Quality in the Developing World", TERRY BLASCHKE, MD, Professor of Medicine and Molecular Pharmacology, Stanford University

--"Technology Social Entrepreneurship", JIM FRUCHTERMAN, Chairman and Founder, The Benetech Initiative

--"International Women's Health and Human Rights", ANNE FIRTH MURRAY, Founding President, The Global Fund for Women; Consulting Professor, Human Biology Program, Stanford University

--"High Quality Eye Care To The Most Marginalized Populations: The Challenges and Possible Solutions", GULLAPALLI N. RAO, MD, Chairman, Board of Trustees and President, International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness; Distinguished Chair of Eye Health, L.V. Prasad Eye Institute

--"Impossible Dreams - The First Ascent of the East Face of Mt. Everest and Eradicating Blindness in Mountainous Asia", GEOFFREY TABIN, MD, Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences; Director of the Division of International Ophthalmology, John A. Moran Eye Center, University of Utah; Co-Director and Founder, Himalayan Cataract Project

--"Eye Care at Buduburam Refugee Camp in Ghana", JAMES CLARKE., MD, Ophthalmologist and Medical Director, Crystal Eye Clinic, Ghana

--"Global Progress in Preventing the Burden of Blindness and Other Diseases Caused by Measles and Rubella", STEPHEN L. COCHI, MD, MPH, Senior Advisor, Global Immunization Division, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

--"Is Women's Health a Human Right?", MINI MURTHY, MD, MPH, MS, Assistant Professor of Practice,New York Medical College School of Public Health

--"Young Leaders In Action: Tomorrow's Leaders But Also Today's", WILLIAM REESE, President and CEO, International Youth Foundation

--"Community Programs With Vision", DAVID WERNER, PhD, Co-Founder, Director of HealthWrights (Workgroup for People's Health and Rights); Visiting Professor at Boston University International School of Public Health; Author, "Where There Is No Doctor"

--"Medical Discovery and Social Justice: Linking Child Health with Child Rights", PAUL WISE, MD, MPH, Richard E. Berhman Professor of Child Health and Society, Stanford University

Hundreds of Conference Sessions For Anyone Interested In:
*Global Health
*International Development
*Millennium Development Goals
*Public Health
*Overseas Volunteering
*Health and Human Rights
*Refugee Health
*Women's Health
*HIV/AIDS
*Infectious Disease
*Microfinance and Social Entrepreneurship
*Nonprofits
*Health in Africa
*Health in Asia
*Health in Latin America
*Global Eye Care and Vision 2020
*Glaucoma Symposium

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, thanks for posting this ... I was wondering, althought I'm already in the application process, does anyone know if you can list attending medically-related conferences or Grand Round sessions and those types of things on your applications???? Very curious.

wow thanks for posting this.
I am a newbie, by the way.
But I go to school in Boston, don't know how i'd attend this, but I'd love to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds cool - wish I could get to California!

hey
all you need is an airplane to get to california hehe
dont be worried about distance
there are lots of discounts on airfare. just watch for deals on expedia, orbitz, jetblue, southwest, airtran. lots of times you can get deals for less than $200 especially now after the holidays

guess what i found
jet blue has big deals
$99 jfk to san francisco, and more deals. the san francisco deal is on their main page

deal ends january 16th. book now to get these rates. im booking my flight now woooooooo

Would attending this sort of conferences be placed on your applications?

No. I don't think attendance at conferences are appropriate for standalone experiences. You can try to work it in within the context of another experience (VP of Global Health club, etc.), but I don't think showing up at one is experience worthy.

if your sole purpose in life is to live for your application please think hard about your life perspective.

There is actually a place to put conferences attended. I talked about a public health conference I attended in the experiences portion and never had anyone say anything about it, so it is likely fine. However, don't go just because you want to put it on your application. That is a lame excuse and you likely won't get anything from it.