Global Health Policy Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm desperately trying to decide between the following schools for an MPH/MSPH for next fall and was hoping for some advice!

-U. Cal- Berkeley: Health Policy and Management
-Harvard: Global Health and Population
-UNC: Health Policy and Management
-U. of Michigan: Health Management and Policy (1/2 tuition scholarship)

I'm very interested in international/global health, especially sub-saharan Africa, although I have more experience in the private sector and in the domestic policy world. My ideal jobs would be working for a private foundation as a grants officer, the US government (US AID or Office of Global Health Affairs), an int'l health consulting firm like JSI, or even the private sector.

I've visited all the schools and would rank Harvard first, but I can't imagine taking out $70K in loans and was wondering if it's worth it. Michigan would be cheapest, but it wasn't as international as I'd hoped. UNC and Cal fill that niche somewhat, and I would develop good accounting/management skills, but Harvard grads seem very well-connected/trained in the global health world.

Any advice or anyone in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm more or less in the same boat, and I'd be curious what folks have to say about this. I've already accepted the offer from Cal for the HPM program, and I'm interested in Global Health.

Take a look at this to see some of the things available at Cal in global health, some of which is related to Sub-Saharan Africa:

http://bixby.berkeley.edu/

Bay Area International Group (BIG) hosts a weekly informal gathering where folks present their research. (See links along the right of the Bixby Center page for details on upcoming BIG meetings.) Look at the "people" page to learn the names of folks you will meet in the main Global Health breadth class, offered in the fall (Malcolm Potts, Ndola Prata, et al).

So far, everyone I've reached out to has been very helpful and informative.

Hey, I'm kind of in the same boat and I was wondering if you guys had decided at all about anything.
I'm debating between:
U of M (3/4 tuition scholarship)
Harvard (1/4 tuition :()

Both for Health Policy and Management. I was worried about the same thing with Michigan--that it lacked enough of an international focus. Even though I'm HPM, i plan on taking a lot of global health/epi classes and I was worried that I wouldn't have enough exposure at UM.

Any thoughts that helped your decision would be appreciated!

I'm desperately trying to decide between the following schools for an MPH/MSPH for next fall and was hoping for some advice!

-U. Cal- Berkeley: Health Policy and Management
-Harvard: Global Health and Population
-UNC: Health Policy and Management
-U. of Michigan: Health Management and Policy (1/2 tuition scholarship)

I'm very interested in international/global health, especially sub-saharan Africa, although I have more experience in the private sector and in the domestic policy world. My ideal jobs would be working for a private foundation as a grants officer, the US government (US AID or Office of Global Health Affairs), an int'l health consulting firm like JSI, or even the private sector.

I've visited all the schools and would rank Harvard first, but I can't imagine taking out $70K in loans and was wondering if it's worth it. Michigan would be cheapest, but it wasn't as international as I'd hoped. UNC and Cal fill that niche somewhat, and I would develop good accounting/management skills, but Harvard grads seem very well-connected/trained in the global health world.

Any advice or anyone in the same boat?