Global Health while in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetMeInOK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in going into global health. I applied to medical schools with strong global health programs but in the end my acceptance ended up being at the only school that did not have any global health opportunities affiliated with them. I do have experience working abroad and have applied to various international health internships but haven't had much success. I was wondering what I could do be able to get experience in global health in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your school allow third year electives? A lot of those programs allow you to apply for/find your own opportunities and have them approved as an elective.

I'm interested in going into global health. I applied to medical schools with strong global health programs but in the end my acceptance ended up being at the only school that did not have any global health opportunities affiliated with them. I do have experience working abroad and have applied to various international health internships but haven't had much success. I was wondering what I could do be able to get experience in global health in medical school?

It's very possible that even if your school doesn't have a formal program, there are attendings there who have an interest in global health. You may have to do a bit of searching, as they might be part-time.

Does your school allow third year electives? A lot of those programs allow you to apply for/find your own opportunities and have them approved as an elective.
From what I've gathered from the website, it looks like 4th year is the only time you have freedom with rotations at this program. I did see the have a one week medical mission trip during the summer of first year but I was looking for something longer.

It's very possible that even if your school doesn't have a formal program, there are attendings there who have an interest in global health. You may have to do a bit of searching, as they might be part-time.
Good idea. That seems like something would be easier once I start.