Global/International Health programs with Reproductive Health focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WAfricaGBV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Im currently looking for international health programs with strengths in reproductive health. With limited access to the internet, Ive not had the time to find many schools with this focus. (However, Ive discovered and really like Emory's program!)

But are there any other programs yall would recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Emory! Emory! Emory!

Ok, that being said, I know that it's hard to feel good about a decision unless you've looked at other options and know that the program you've chosen is the best for you, so I will try to help with a few other programs (not as awesome as Emory, but pretty awesome nonetheless). I'm pretty sure that you're a PCV right now and I've responded to you about Emory in the past so I'm going off that assumption :).

Johns Hopkins has a great global health program and they are very Peace Corps friendly, one downside is that they do not use SOPHAS, I don't know if you will be home from the Peace Corps before you apply, but I found the process of getting all my stuff sent to JHU separate from SOPHAS to be prohibitively time/resource consuming for me in a Peace Corps setting so I didn't apply (and only for that reason).

Columbia has a great repro health program (I've heard), however they are much more expensive than Emory, but if the shoe fits better then I guess I would pay a little more for it right?

These are the two others that I've heard the most about Global Repro Health (there are some others with great global programs but maybe I haven't heard as much about the repro side), I'm Infectious Disease, but I feel like (when dealing with HIV, etc especially) the two go hand-in-hand in some ways so I have kept that in mind when looking at programs. I also didn't look much into west coast schools (again, some places like UW in Seattle had supplemental application portions that I couldn't complete from my country of service)...point being that someone else will have more insight I'm sure, but I hope this gives you somewhere to start!

Hello everyone,

Im currently looking for international health programs with strengths in reproductive health. With limited access to the internet, Ive not had the time to find many schools with this focus. (However, Ive discovered and really like Emory's program!)

But are there any other programs yall would recommend?

Thanks for your help!

haha.. thats exactly it.. I feel like Emory is a great match for me.. but it is hard to feel confident about that when I dont know too much about the other options..

Thanks to your suggestions, Ive done some preliminary research and well..

JHU - good rep but only one rushed year.. and it doesnt match to Emory in repro health

Columbia - good program.. EXPENSIVE.. NYC= expensive AGAIN.. and Im not too sure that Columbia repro health has anything more to offer than Emory

so really is that all it has come down to?? I really thought I would have more choices or at least a couple programs that I really love but I guess its easier to focus all my energy on one school as I will still be in Burkina Faso while Im applying..

Thanks for your help!! Pls keep posting n keep us updated on how orientation goes/housing search etc.:thumbup:

Emory! Emory! Emory!

Ok, that being said, I know that it's hard to feel good about a decision unless you've looked at other options and know that the program you've chosen is the best for you, so I will try to help with a few other programs (not as awesome as Emory, but pretty awesome nonetheless). I'm pretty sure that you're a PCV right now and I've responded to you about Emory in the past so I'm going off that assumption :).

Johns Hopkins has a great global health program and they are very Peace Corps friendly, one downside is that they do not use SOPHAS, I don't know if you will be home from the Peace Corps before you apply, but I found the process of getting all my stuff sent to JHU separate from SOPHAS to be prohibitively time/resource consuming for me in a Peace Corps setting so I didn't apply (and only for that reason).

Columbia has a great repro health program (I've heard), however they are much more expensive than Emory, but if the shoe fits better then I guess I would pay a little more for it right?

These are the two others that I've heard the most about Global Repro Health (there are some others with great global programs but maybe I haven't heard as much about the repro side), I'm Infectious Disease, but I feel like (when dealing with HIV, etc especially) the two go hand-in-hand in some ways so I have kept that in mind when looking at programs. I also didn't look much into west coast schools (again, some places like UW in Seattle had supplemental application portions that I couldn't complete from my country of service)...point being that someone else will have more insight I'm sure, but I hope this gives you somewhere to start!