glycogen storage and lysosomal disease mnemonics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westernmed007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any good mnemonics or tricks for memorizing the glycogen storage diseases and the lysosomal storage diseases. I looked on med mnemonics and there isn't much there.

Glycogen:
FA has one about glycogen storage diseases I, II, III, V. Is that all we need to really focus on?

Lysosomal:
FA has a few tricks but nothing all encompasing, and med mnemonics stikes out, anyone have any tips?

Best wishes to all of ya'lll

Members don't see this ad.

the best way I found to get those dumb diseases down is by doing questions. There's no way to reason around those diseases without getting a good clinical picture. It also helps to divide them by symptomotology like groups causing peripheral neuropathy, groups causing hepatomegaly, which ones x linked, cherry red spots, clouded corneas, age of presentation, etc. - it's the really noticeable and disguishing characteristics that get tested usually.

I liked how Robbins had them divided up (glycogen), seemed to help in understanding them too. I ended up drawing out the pathway so I could see it better. Usually if I can see how it's working and what is going wrong, I remember better. I'm a visual guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any good mnemonics or tricks for memorizing the glycogen storage diseases and the lysosomal storage diseases. I looked on med mnemonics and there isn't much there.

Glycogen:
FA has one about glycogen storage diseases I, II, III, V. Is that all we need to really focus on?

Lysosomal:
FA has a few tricks but nothing all encompasing, and med mnemonics stikes out, anyone have any tips?

Best wishes to all of ya'lll

First of all, these questions are rare but the diseases (and questions) themselves are very difficult to remember/learn. So I think q's about glycogenoses/lipoidoses are ways for USMLE to really pick apart the top test-takers from those below.

That being said, don't spend a crapload of time of them because they are rare and you may not even have 1 question. I think I had 2. The best thing to do (as said above) is to try to remember 1 or 2 things about each disease that is truly unique and go from there. You might get tested on the symptoms, enzyme, or accumulated product so remember to have those down.

a few that I came up with.

TiNy Gews
Tay-Sachs, Neimann-Pick, Gaucher's in Ashkenazi Jews.:smuggrin:

Fabulous Alpha GalaXy
Fabry's alpha Galatosidase (X-linked)

Krappy Oasis Neil Gallagher
Krabbe's Optic atrophy Neuropathy b-Galatosidase

Hurry up! dingus!-I do run from Gays.
Hurler's Alpha-L-Iduronate, Gargoylism.

u kno whats a mofo to remember... i HATE the dyslipidemias.. ie type I... type IIa.. type IIb... type III... etc.... and the type of deficiencies that cause them

no matter how many questions i do or how many times i try to memorize it in FA, i always forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very frustrating

does anyone have good mnemonics for those?

Hey all, just wanna give a shout out to pixorize's visual mnemonics, covering topics like glycogen + lysosomal storage disorders, as well as the dyslipidemias. pretty good if you ask me. I used these and anki reps to cover these diseases