Glycogen Storage Disorders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulikedaggers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point in your curriculum did you learn about these?

We are not going to learn about these in our Biochem/Metabolism class, so I'm wondering if I should learn them on my own now (since they're in the biochem section of FA) or if I'll be seeing them in GI or physio or something..?

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure you guys will go through that later in biochem since it is one of the high yield clinical stuff. We were taught this in the first semester in biochem in glycogen metabolism chapter. If you want you can go through it on your own since it's fairly straight forward concept. GL

We talked about them in biochem. Trust me, there is no way your school will miss teaching these. You kind of have to know them/cover them. I wouldn't look at them until your curriculum covers them, again there is no way your school will skip covering them.

Members don't see this ad :)
We covered them when we talked about skeletal muscle metabolism/glycolysis. I don't see why you'd bother to learn them now on your own rather than just waiting for your school to get there.

We are for sure not covering them in biochem (I searched our electronic syllabus). We covered a few of them, but not many. I guess I'll just wait.

We did them in biochem as well. But unless we'll go into further depth later on there wasn't much to it. Taken hand in hand with the biochem it's just X disease -> Y enzyme deficiency -> Z symptoms. I think it was just a table that was given to us.

We covered these in Biochem...but we really only talked about a couple types. But really there are like 9 (more?) depending on what enzyme you are talking about.

We also learned them in biochem, but it's possible your school might cover them with some other biochemical disorders toward the beginning of pathology

if your school skips them, then that sucks; it's pretty high yield for the boards with respect to biochemistry.

They are super easy to understand though. Getting all the types in your head straight is the real pain in the ass, but the actual disease process is straightforward.

1st semester Biochem/Genetics.

Never covered them again.