glycolysis enzymes and products, are they important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we have to memorize all the enzymes and products for glycolysis?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes for the Biochem. Midterm and Final; but for the DAT ? I am not sure...

when i took the DAT, they asked me what was the first intermediate in glycolysis, this was before i took biochem, i said glucose 1 phosphate, but I soon found out it was glucose 6 phosphate, and after taking biochem this past semester, I can name all the subtrates, enzymes, co enzymes, starting from glucose to pyruvate, and i can draw all the structures too, but i agree just know the bigger picture,

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was trying to pay attention to bigger picture, too, but Q6 from DAT destroyer was asking for enzyme that turns glucose into glucose-6-phosphate. Even though I think the key point of that question was to teach us that kinase is what phosphorylates others, I thought it's also possible that other enzymes will show up, but I guess i am wrong.

left high n dry// if the intermediate in glycolysis was on DAT, doesn't that mean I should also pay attention to the small pictures as well?

keep it simple guys!!!! why pointlessly memorize? instead know what a kinase, phosphatase, isomerase, hydratase, dehydrogenase does and u should be able to use process of elimination.

the dat is not about memorization, but application of what u know. there is no way to cram everything so u need to know how big concepts can be put into little pictures

example:

The first reaction in glycolysis makes____.
1) pyruvic acid
2) fructose 6 phosphate
3) glucose 6 phosphate
4) ATP
5) NADH

process of elimination: get rid of 1 off the bat bc that is an end product. get rid of 4 because u should know that the first part of glycolysis SPENDS atp. get rid of 5 because NADH is made in the second part of glycolysis. get rid of 2 because if you start with glucose the first reaction likely would do something to easily alter the structure of glucose. to transform glucose to to F6P would take a couple moves, this cannot be the first reaction.

(to the above poster)
G1P is an unlikely answer bc the OH group on glucose 1' is not likely to be removed as compared to 6'. this was a fair dat question bc it applies info from ochem and its possible to reason if you had known the structure of glucose. i highly doubt the dat writers care if you know what enzyme makes 2-phosphoglycerate.

structures to know:
the 4 nucleotides (H bonding possiiblities as well)
the general classifications of amino acids
different classes of carbs from simple to comples- aldose/ketose (reducing sugar) to glycogen/cellulose/startch
types of fats- unsaturated to saturated

Last edited: