Glycolysis Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where the hell do all of these inorganic Ps come from? (The Pi's that join ADP to make ATP) They seem to come from no where in my manual. It won't make or break me on my microbio quiz, but i'm curious.

Members don't see this ad.

In bacteria phosphorus can be processed differently depending on the group of bacteria youre talking about.

I actually think they come from the processing of lipids (phospholipids) and nucleic acids in general though.

I dont know the mechanism/enzymes that cause this liberation of phosphate though (but I bet its ________ phosphatase or something =P)

good luck

According to my biochem prof:

The Pi groups are usually abundant in the cell itself especially because they are not "eaten up." These Pi groups come from other phospate groups that were once a part of the ATP molecule. Basically, the same Pi group (or a bunch of Pi's) keep getting recycled. Note the difference between kinase and phosphotase activities though. One attaches and the other takes away the Pi group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but I think she was referring to the original nutritional source for phosphates (since you lose many to feces and urine)

In that case, most of them come from phospholipids and nucleic acids in the foods we eat if I remember correctly (I dont really know that much about nutrition, so I could be wrong). Then again, I dont know of any other way we would get P.

Originally posted by AegisZero
Yes, but I think she was referring to the original nutritional source for phosphates (since you lose many to feces and urine)

In that case, most of them come from phospholipids and nucleic acids in the foods we eat if I remember correctly (I dont really know that much about nutrition, so I could be wrong). Then again, I dont know of any other way we would get P.

Last time I checked, most of the food we eat has nucleic acids in them, whether that food be of plant origin or animal origin.

And most of the food we eat has phospholipids in the cell membranes as well. (nucleic acids too are found, but I would imagine in far less quantities since a lot of them will become lost to nuclease activity and unrecoverable by the body for metabolism)

You get them in your diet. Bone is also a source of phosphate (although you can't survive off these stores for long.

We had a case pop up where the person didn't consume enough phosphate and actually ran out.