Glycolysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok in the kaplan study guide they're saying that glucose degradation result in water produced but how? I mean from everything I learned glycolysis doesn't produce water at all.

Members don't see this ad.

ehh never mind i'm stupid i was thinking glycoloysis they meant cellular respiration

I was under the understanding H2O wasn't produced until the end of the E transport system...so it said Glycolysis and not Cellular respiration?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is some water produced during glycolysis I think from one of the intermediate steps.

well it doesn't say its cellular respiration but I will assume that since i'm quite sure it doesn't get generated anywhere else except the final phase of electron transport chain.

actually I just read again on another place

Which of these is NOT a product of glycolysis
and one of the answer is water and water and FADH2, so of course i put FADH2 but now then water is produced in glycolysis but i swear i never heard of this nor did my professor ever stress this. This is specifically GLYCOLYSIS and not just respiration.

http://www.uccs.edu/~rmelamed/MicroFall2002/Chapter%205/glycolysis.jpg

step 8 /9

2-phosphoglycerate 2pg to pep phosphoenolpyruvate

structure is easier to see here: http://erkki.kennesaw.edu/schem229/glycolysis2.jpg

oh and if youre talking about glycolysis strictly, it's really easy to rule out FADH2, that sticks out like a sore thumb if you took biochem. FADH2 first comes into play during the conversion of pyruvate to acetyl-coa in the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex i believe.

but the mcat wouldn't ask you something so specific about glycolysis i believe. maybe something really general like what the first substrate is, or the final product is, or what is needed to run it (initial 2 atp) or something like that.