GME funding issues for GMO applying to civilian PGY-1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beantown D.O.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey There,

For those who have gone this route...I've completed an internship years ago and am finishing up my commitment with the Navy. For complicated personal reasons, I will be applying to civilian residencies starting as PGY-1 (yes, I'll be doing internship all over again).

When I contacted several program directors, I was told that my options will be limited due to GME funding. According to them, they were concerned that since I've already completed an internship, I've used up one year of allotted funding toward training. Therefore, only few programs would even consider my application. Since I don't consider myself a stellar applicant, I found this quite disturbing.

I believe that there is a general misconception with military members who have had prior medical training. Looking at my LES, I KNOW that I was/am paid as a naval officer. Eventhough my internship was funded/paid by the U.S. government, the funds DID NOT come directly from Medicare/Medicaid GME funds.

I called the GME director where I completed my internship, and she confirmed what I thought. She is fairly new and she states that this particular situation has never been brought up in the past. She basically agreed with what I said, but couldn't provide any "supporting documents". However, I still feel that I will have difficulty convincing prospective residency programs of this particular fact.

I tried searching for specifics but came up with nothing :( ...
Does anyone have a link that specifically delineates the whole funding issue? Has anyone experienced this? And what advice do you have? Thanks.

Bean

Members don't see this ad.

What if you just apply for the match and see what happens? I've met a number of people who went on to civilian residencies without any difficulty. Do you have a good academic record? Is it possible the programs are looking for an excuse to turn you away?

Beantown...I am in the same boat as you are and I was unaware of any "funding" issues until one of the program directors told me about it. However, he made the mistake of thinking I completed a residency and not just an internship. Bottom line, if you have just done a 1 year internship...no funding will be affected and you will be fine. If you have done a full residency...then the GME funding issues take center stage. I would clarify with the PD's to make sure they understand that your PGY training has only been an internship and not a residency. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
The funding issue exists only if you did a civilian one year deferment for internship. It has to due with medicare/aid funding of civilian programs for residents. If you did a military internship this has no bearing on your status as MTFs dont recieve this funding for residents. We are paid as AD officers. Different pot of money. I dont have any firm references but that is my understanding. MilMD was involved with the anesthesiology residency program at NMCP and should have more info if you need it. Or the GME office at one of the MTFs might be able to steer you to a source to provide the programs you are applying to.

usnavdoc said:
The funding issue exists only if you did a civilian one year deferment for internship. It has to due with medicare/aid funding of civilian programs for residents. If you did a military internship this has no bearing on your status as MTFs dont recieve this funding for residents. We are paid as AD officers. Different pot of money. I dont have any firm references but that is my understanding. MilMD was involved with the anesthesiology residency program at NMCP and should have more info if you need it. Or the GME office at one of the MTFs might be able to steer you to a source to provide the programs you are applying to.

No, I don't...not beyond what you all have stated already....

but this falls under the same thinking where military "fellows" are free labor to departments.....all fellows are "free" labor, because their pay does not come from the department...but from federal funding.

Thanks for all the advice. I do not have any red flags. I feel that I am at a disadvantage already. I am an osteopath applying to allopathic residency, taken COMLEX only, geographically restricted due to family reasons, and may be mislabeled as funding liability from program directors who are unfamiliar with GMOs post-internship training.

I am going to contact the GME office of the 3 major naval training MTFs and see what else I can find. I'll probably shoot an email to the PD's giving a synopsis of my situation and ask if they have any questions regarding my application.

What do you think about this?

Bean