Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

GMOs ever get frustrated with MSCs?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by navdoc47, Apr 27, 2007.

1. navdoc47

Attending Physician
    Ok I'm a GMO w/the Marines. My med planner wants me to take responsibility to ensure all the medical supplies are restocked. This seems inappropriate since I have no managerial control over the corpsmen, and it seems that ensuring inventories is an admin/management responsibility appropriate for an MSC. Am I wrong to assume I shouldn't take responsibility for such tasks? Seems to me a senior enlisted person should assume the role and report to the MSC. The only reason I should be involved is, as a doctor, i'm more familiar with what equipment/supplies is appropriate for field medicine. But then, if i were in a hospital or clinic, would i care whether we have enough IV lines, needles, stocked pharmacy??? (obviously not).

Anyone else have similar frustrations with MSCs? (medical service corps - the folks with MHAs or MBAs who are in charge administratively).

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. usnavdoc

usnavdoc Senior Member

Attending Physician

I assume you are with group? Not sure of your particular assignment or experience but I spent 4 years with division and medical logistics/supply were one of the many jobs outside of practicing medicine that I was expected to handle.

4. DiveMD

DiveMD Giggity giggity!!!
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I work in a clinic and trust me; I do a whole bunch of stuff that is trivial or plainly inappropriate for my level of training. It's just the Navy way...

5. SquidDoc

SquidDoc Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You probably just need to delegate the responsibility to an HM2 or HM1. Tell them what levels of certain things they should keep stocked, have them build an excel spreadsheet, and inventory daily. The ship will float on its own, the elisted person might get an award for their efforts , and you won't have to worry about it.

6. usnavdoc

usnavdoc Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Never quite that easy and "not worrying" about it will get you burned. I agree delegate this for your HMC to follow up on but you need to be actively involved and back check constantly!

7. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm

Attending Physician
    Are you planning on applying to a military residency after your GMO? If so, your OER is going to be a factor. This means that you're better off not trying to fight the power (unless you decide to fight the power by writing anonymous nasty posts about military medicine on here, which is what many of us have resorted to doing).

8. GMO2003

GMO2003 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Hmm...you better get used to this...as a former GMO I can speak from PERSONAL experience...besides if you're planning on applying for military residency, the non-military folk looking at your GME app will think all these miscellaneous tasks and ridiculous titles you have listed on your FITREP/OER are impressive...in other words take it with a grain of salt, delegate tasks down appropriately, and make the best of this time...it will supremely SUCK while your doing it...but believe it or not, you'll remember this time as one of the greatest in your life

9. navdoc47

Attending Physician
    ah well, I guess I'll have to suck it up - lol. i'll be getting ready for a deployment with the MEU (that's as specific as I'll get - hehe).

I probably will apply for military GME, unless if my personal life changes within the next few years, ie if my theoretical future other half would prefer COMNAVCIVPAC, then i'll punch out after 4 yrs of GMO.

guess it's time for me to start looking in medcans, 699 blocks, etc...:sleep:

10. alpha62

alpha62 Banned
    Banned

Non-Student
    you think you hate MSC's now, where in the hell do you think HMO administrators come from ?

It gets worse. They can go into politics:

http://stevebuyer.house.gov/

11. Mirror Form

Attending Physician
    Well at least it has to be better than residency.

12. Mirror Form

Attending Physician
    Yeah, but you can quit.