go for it with MD/PhD or stick with MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexafluor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first posting so sorry if I leave out anythingimportant! Anyway, I have been working at a private research lab for the past year and before that did a summer research program at UPEnn before my senior year. I really wanna do MD/PhD but I'm afraid I'd be a more mediocre MSTP applicant. Here's what I've got:

Psych major at Fordham Univ (NYC)
GPA: 3.85
Sci GPA not sure around 3.8 though
MCAT: 35O (11PS 12 VR 12 BS)
~240 hrs volunteer in Peds ED/Main ED NY hospital
2 yrs rape/domes viol crisis counselor
1 summer of research on genetics pf psychiatric disease
1 yr post-grad full-time reserach on multiple sclerosis
Phi Beta Kappa
NYC homeless outreach activties, 4 yrs in college

Ideally I'd like to stay in the NY area, I'm applying to Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, NYU, AE, SUNY Downstate, and schools in Boston, Philly and around NY. Would I be much more competative as a MD applicant than as an MSTP applicant? I could always apply internally to the school's MSTP.

Thanks so much for input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, this is my first posting so sorry if I leave out anythingimportant! Anyway, I have been working at a private research lab for the past year and before that did a summer research program at UPEnn before my senior year. I really wanna do MD/PhD but I'm afraid I'd be a more mediocre MSTP applicant. Here's what I've got:

Psych major at Fordham Univ (NYC)
GPA: 3.85
Sci GPA not sure around 3.8 though
MCAT: 35O (11PS 12 VR 12 BS)
~240 hrs volunteer in Peds ED/Main ED NY hospital
2 yrs rape/domes viol crisis counselor
1 summer of research on genetics pf psychiatric disease
1 yr post-grad full-time reserach on multiple sclerosis
Phi Beta Kappa
NYC homeless outreach activties, 4 yrs in college

Ideally I'd like to stay in the NY area, I'm applying to Columbia, Cornell, Sinai, NYU, AE, SUNY Downstate, and schools in Boston, Philly and around NY. Would I be much more competative as a MD applicant than as an MSTP applicant? I could always apply internally to the school's MSTP.

Thanks so much for input!

Aren't all MSTP applicatants considered for MD as well? Of course, you'll be more competitive if you just apply MD, because there are more spots available. However, if you want to apply MSTP....DO IT!

You have enough going for you to apply MSTP or MD/PhD. If research is in your blood, so to speak, and you really want to be on the research/academic medicine track, go for it. You have the lab time and GPA to be well in the running. Your MCAT isn't quite the average, but it's in the ballpark.

Most applications do give you the option to be considered for their MD only programs if you are not accepted as an MD/PhD candidate. As you said, many or most schools do also allow you to apply internally once you are accepted into the MD program.

This thread is a cross post with another forum. Please post threads only once in order to avoid the confusion caused by duplicate threads.

Members may continue to respond to the OP's question here.

This thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.