Go to formal postbacc for the name or just takes classes a la carte

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I do the formal post-bacc

• Yes, it is worth it

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No, just take classes at local college or a la carte at Harvard Extension

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

kayjay00

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a bachelor's and master's in engineering at a very competitive college but looking to go to dental school. My bachelors gpa is in the very low 3.x, but both my masters and science gpa is decent. I've taken Chem I & II and Bio I and got an A in all three. Is it worth the money to go to a non-top-tier decent post bacc program (about HES level but super expensive), or should I just finish my prereqs at a local college?

I'm starting to think the postbacc isn't worth it because I will be getting my committee letter from my undergrad anyway and I can find more shadowing opportunities here since I know lots of ppl. If I move to go to the post bacc, I have to start paying for an apartment (currently live with parents), and have to find new shadowing/research opportunities, and I'll be broke as heck.

Is the name brand of the postbacc worth it??

Members don't see this ad.

You can crash courses at your local college/university (probably not community college though). This is what I did. I am California resident and took crashed courses at my local CSU through a program called Open University. This was a cheaper option but the major downside is that I was competing with undergrads for spots in these classes and I could only have a spot in the class if there was one available. Obviously, there is less advising with this option which can be hard if you need guidance along the way. Kinda depends on what you are looking for.

What is the purpose of the post-bacc for you? Are you trying to boost your GPA? Have you taken the DAT? A strong DAT score may make up for your lower GPA.

What is the purpose of the post-bacc for you? Are you trying to boost your GPA? Have you taken the DAT? A strong DAT score may make up for your lower GPA.

I'm a career changer. Over the summer, I've taken Chem I at a state school and Chem II & Bio I at a community college. I did this because the only local 4 year college near me didn't offer summer classes and the state school was way too far to commute every day (2 hours one way), and no money. So now I just have to take Orgos, Bio II, and Biochem, and I play to take the DAT in May.

SO now I'm left with three options:
1. Go to the formal post-bacc (blowing my savings and with a little bit of loan) - but I feel like it might be worth it to balance out the two CC courses and my unrelated undergrad + masters degree. School name might have some influence? I'm not sure about this.
2. Go to local liberal arts college for a year. It's not a well-known school but it's still an honors college. I would also save tons of money (about 30k) cause of tuition difference and living with parents.
3. Go to Boston and take some classes at Harvard Extension (wouldn't be in the premedical program). This would still be a way cheaper route than the formal post-bacc, and I wouldn't have to stay in my middle-of-nowhere town. Only problem is I'd have to take Biochem after I take the DATs, since they don't offer it in the spring.

Classes are literally starting in a day or two but I'm still undecided (what is wrong with me).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a career changer. Over the summer, I've taken Chem I at a state school and Chem II & Bio I at a community college. I did this because the only local 4 year college near me didn't offer summer classes and the state school was way too far to commute every day (2 hours one way), and no money. So now I just have to take Orgos, Bio II, and Biochem, and I play to take the DAT in May.

SO now I'm left with three options:
1. Go to the formal post-bacc (blowing my savings and with a little bit of loan) - but I feel like it might be worth it to balance out the two CC courses and my unrelated undergrad + masters degree. School name might have some influence? I'm not sure about this.
2. Go to local liberal arts college for a year. It's not a well-known school but it's still an honors college. I would also save tons of money (about 30k) cause of tuition difference and living with parents.
3. Go to Boston and take some classes at Harvard Extension (wouldn't be in the premedical program). This would still be a way cheaper route than the formal post-bacc, and I wouldn't have to stay in my middle-of-nowhere town. Only problem is I'd have to take Biochem after I take the DATs, since they don't offer it in the spring.

Classes are literally starting in a day or two but I'm still undecided (what is wrong with me).

Probably the best thing to do would be to call the admissions department of one or two of your top choices for dental school and get their input on your options. Usually, they will offer some advice on your situation.

After hearing your options, I personally would go with whatever option is cheapest unless you feel like you need additionally advising/support from a post-bacc program. Does your local liberal arts school have a pre-dent club? This can be an amazing resource for you as you move through the process. Keep in mind that as a career changer, dental schools will love the perspective/real life experience you bring. That is one of your strongest components of your application (I was a high school teacher for 5 years and dental schools are always very interested to hear about that). Good luck!

Probably the best thing to do would be to call the admissions department of one or two of your top choices for dental school and get their input on your options. Usually, they will offer some advice on your situation.

Thanks, I guess I will try this.

Last edited:
I called a few schools and all of them said either way is fine. So now I'm even more undecided.